GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 934
0 members and 934 guests
No Members online

Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
ZBTEtaIota

Thumbs up Spring 2010 Rush

Hey All -
So I am my fraternity's Head Recruitment Chairman for Spring 2010 - Fall 2010 Semester.
And I am in the middle of coming up with a rush schedule of events for January / February for when we return back to school. I am curious for any and all ideas you guys can give me for events which have been proven to be successful for your organization or school.

Thanks!
-Dan
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
ZBTEtaIota

So far I have the following Events:

*Lunch with the Brothers (12-1 pm)
*NBA Game at the Cardinal Lounge 7:30 pm
*Hungover Breakfast (12pm)
*Game Night (Dorm Room Basement) 8pm
*About the Brothers (Cardinal Lounge) 6pm
*Pizza, Drinks with the brothers (Cardinal Lounge) 6:30pm

*I am looking to have events which can be held ON CAMPUS not at our house for example which allows more people who may feel uncomfortable to come to our events which they know are good because they take place on campus.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some other threads in this forum you might find useful:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105341
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=103095

In the future it might benefit you to plan your rush events earlier, just saying...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, you really should be tailoring your events to your chapter and campus.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
ZBTEtaIota

What do you mean towards my chapter / campus?
how does that make any difference?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Because what might work at one campus, or even for a particular chapter on that campus might not work for everybody. It really depends on the type of people you are trying to attract.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
ZBTEtaIota

What have you guys found to be most successful? (I don't mean to be repetitive but that is how I plan on gathering ideas to having our biggest Pledge Class yet!)

*Again only ON=CAMPUS events.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
ZBTEtaIota

Ok got it, well my school has undergrad of 5500+/- students, it is a in the middle of a city, with the road spliting it in half.

my chapter currently consists of very diverse brothers.
We like all-around types to potentially join and rush.
*Ones looking to achieve / continue to achieve high GPA
*Athletes / Gym Rats
*Party goers (very social people)
*Philanthropy based . COmmunity Based

Does this make more sense?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

See that helps. Since you want people who focus on academics, I can see a study session being a good way to attract those type of people. Maybe also have like a pickup football game on the campus green if you have one for the jocks. Maybe find someway you can do a community service to clean up the campus, or even do a joint event with APO if you guys have one.

Also I suggest you hold at least one event at your house, or maybe move an event to your house after the main event is done. If they pledge, they are going to spend a lot of time there, so it would help give them an idea of what they would expect. Also it can attract or weed out certain type of people. For instance you can make a good impression if the house is spotless, or a nasty one if it is disgusting.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
ZBTEtaIota

Im planning on a potential 3 or 2 week rush period and then entering the bid ceremony.
So potentially I would need about 20 events or so.
Now, where I go to school it is quite cold in this time of the year O degrees or below so naturally we are talking about indoor events.
Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A few things:

You should focus more on "recruitment" and less on "rush," meaning you should be utilizing and motivating all of your members to make connections with people year-long. Don't worry about big events, they mean bigger effort and bigger disappointment if they don't work out. Have your members reach out to people in their classes, their dorm, and other organizations they belong to. Build friendships with these people and introduce them to other brothers. A 2:1 brother-potential ratio is a good starting point - go out to lunch, study together, etc. Bring them into your circle of friends and then bring up the idea of being in a fraternity. At this point they're already friends with you and will want to be a part of ZBT.

Also see these threads: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=107222
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=100682
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105943
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=107740

The Phired Up Blog is another great resource.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBTEtaIota View Post
Im planning on a potential 3 or 2 week rush period and then entering the bid ceremony.
So potentially I would need about 20 events or so.
Now, where I go to school it is quite cold in this time of the year O degrees or below so naturally we are talking about indoor events.
Any ideas?
My chapter did a few pick-up basketball games at the campus rec center and the Y. Check and see if that is feasible.

Also, don't just say "Hey, we're having this activity at 7 o'clock. Why don't you come?" Say: "Hey, we're playing basketball at the rec center tomorrow at 7 o'clock. Would you like to meet Tom and me for dinner and then go to the game?" Offering to come and go with the rushee, or meet them outside so they don't have to walk in alone, might help them feel more welcome.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)