GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,195
4 members and 2,191 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Xidelt

Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCutie View Post
I forgot this! We used to call ourselves the All-Nude Phi Mu Revue...
Hahah that made me crack up! That definitely sounds like something we'd do if we had a house...

We sang camp songs at Norwegian camp when we showered! Lol
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

On our campus everyone is housed, so most people live in all four years. Many of my favorite memories are similar to those already posted.

- getting ready in the morning for school and at night to go out
- watching our favorite TV shows all together
- always having someone around to go study, get coffee, etc.
- during Recruitment having everyone live in and doing random sisterhood activities (particularly lip syncs)
- rooming with someone I didn’t know very well and becoming best friends with them
- dance parties in the hallways
- getting ready and helping others get ready for dates
- having ample closets to borrow from
- never feeling alone or lonely because someone was always there to talk to
Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Hahah that made me crack up! That definitely sounds like something we'd do if we had a house...

We sang camp songs at Norwegian camp when we showered! Lol
Hijak:

Funny story tangentially related to this. I worked at a Girl Scout camp for years, and one thing about being a counselor is that you only get to take showers on your days off, early in the morning, or late at night. So one of our staff members was from Iceland, and she chose to shower at night. She'd frequently sing Icelandic songs in the shower, until one week a camper came up to her and told her she thought the camp was haunted because she heard "weird singing" from the bath house at night.

/Hijak
Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post

*Witnessing hilarious drunk scenes when sober/having drunk sisters visit you while sober
*Facebooking with sisters for hours

I definitely loved the drunk scenes when you're sober. Two REALLY stand out for me- once I was in my room on a Wednesday (a bar did karaoke Wednesday nights and it was really popular) when a sister came crawling into my room asking for "half an angel wing" because she has borrowed and broken an angel wing necklace from her roommate. Another would be my roommate coming home from Sig Ep jail party (dates are anonymous and have to drink a lot to find out who invited them!).. took her about 20 minutes of stumbling down 2 blocks to finally make it to the house, where she proceeded to do somersaults on our marble floors, tell a cop "I dont have a father" (?? not true!), and a lot more.

I perfected facebook stalking while living in the house.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 PM

*Hooking up Mario Party and Mario Kart 64 in the TV room just for kicks.

*Constant supply of junk food. Girls (or their parents) would sometimes bring baked goods over and just leave them for the house girls.

*Living on the same street as 4 other sororities and having girls talk to you randomly just walking down/up the street.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

*Watching the golden girls with sisters in between class
*Homecoming
*Getting ready together for mixers and formals
*My suitemate/best friend sitting on the bathroom floor sharing secrets, crying, laughing together.
*Decorating the bathroom with a my size barbie, corn, beach accesory's, and drawing on the mirror with a dry erase marker.
*Studying in the chapter room
*Late nights after a party
*Always knowing what was going on
*The pranks we would pull on each other

The best year of my life!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I can now add more to this since I moved back into our house for my last semester -i.e. after my initial post in this thread.

I absolutely LOVED my roommate in the house this past semester and we used to do this:

- rush each other to get the best second floor shower in the mornings
- go grocery shopping on Saturday mornings in our pajamas
- Sonic Happy Hour runs!
- coming home from Sigma Chi Graffiti to find that she was back from Austin in time to help me get the Sharpie off my skin... oops
- singing 'our' songs (not the most appropriate haha) while dancing around the room until 2am
- decorating our door at the very last minute for the house door decorating contest and WINNING
- campaigning against the girls across the hall for best house roommates '09 - they won, but they baked a cake and handed out cookies... hahaha, so we came in second out of about five pairs
- all-night therapy sessions with other girls in the house because we're good listeners
- talking with her boyfriend or my 'interest' (for lack of better term) while talking to each other
- sharing the mirror while getting ready and laughing hysterically about our inside jokes
- I also loved to run next door to Sigma Kappa (our houses are joined by a door on the second and third floors) to see all of my friends over there at all hours

I really miss living in my house now...

Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, lord, it's been so long ... let's see ...
Sitting around the chapter room watching the ABC soap lineup and getting into heated debates about the outcome of story lines.
Coming home after a night out and watching "Friday Night Videos" on TBS and eating potato chips and dip.
Hosting an impromptu party in my '74 Mustang II in the house parking lot since we couldn't have alcohol in the house.
Theme TGIFs (mixers) and some of the crazy outfits we wore.
Having a place to belong on campus. My parents insisted I go to college in the town in which I grew up, so being a Sigma Kappa was how I got to experience "college life."
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Living in the house

I really enjoyed living in the house during summer break, 7-8 guys living in a house for built for 50 playing floor hockey, having floor wars 2 vs 3rd floor with bottle rockets black cats etc. sitting on the roof and drinking shiner beer on the fourth of July, watching ESPN until five in the morning ,marathon games of poker, living in Austin going to Sixth Street , Barton Springs, Lake Travis . I was taking one three hour Spanish Class at Austin Communiy College with an instructor who announced the first day if you don't miss class and you try hard you will make a C or better(he was a communist from Argentina).My class was full of UT Greeks thrilled to be taking summer school with him, what a great summer .
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Totally agree with always knowing what's going on in the chapter....the in-house girls know all the upcoming events in the house, and on Greek row.

I loved going to talk in my friend's room, and before you knew it, there would be 6 or 8 other sisters in there, all gossiping and giggling.

Going to "lunch" at 1030, going to 11 o'clock class, coming back at noon to "lunch" and sitting in the dining room talking until 2!

Working with my best friends on banners, skits, costumes upstairs in the chapter room and attic, and digging through piles of old pictures and books. It was always really fun to find a box of 1982 pledge shirts that got lost in the back corner!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

1982 Pledge shirts? Wow! I wondered where those had gone! We looked all over for them the night before bid day!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

-Keg Bowling - This requires 10 empty kegs a riding lawn mower and a football helmet. You can guess the rest.
-$ .50/drink open liquor parties.
-A 2 kegger turning into a 9 kegger.
-PJ parties.
-Toga, toga, toga!
-The drunk tank and the surprise visitors to it/in it.
-Halloween Party.
-The day after.
-Saturday movies to help clear the hangover.
-Finding old memorabilia and trying to figure out how and why it got there.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping up this old thread just because it's a fun one!

*Late night trips to Naugles.
*Discovering MTV played music videos 24/7 in 1982 then we'd stand on the furniture and sing along.
*Endless source of clothing, shoes, make-up, hair products and accessories.
*Decorating our rooms each summer before we'd move in for the fall. (Housing corp. finally ended this tradition once they realized how many layers of paint were building up.)
*Plenty of study partners to quiz you or share notes.
*The entire ABC soap opera line up that began at 11:30 and ended at 4pm.
*Fraternity serenades at dawn.
*Long conversations about every topic under the sun.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Always having a friend nearby to talk to...
Having classes with sisters, and helping each other with homework...
The food--OMG, the food--from our amazing cooks...

All of this (and much more) is wonderful, but--

The BEST part of living in the house comes years and years later, when these ladies pop up in your adult life again and your relationships pick up right where they left off.

The girl across the hall from us (and fellow English lit major) is now one of the chapter advisors for our Texas State chapter, and we work closely together on recruitment every year;

The girl in the suite next to ours is now an assistant principal at my kids' high school, and has shepherded my children through college applications, ADHD diagnoses, and multiple scheduling snafus. They refer to her as their fairy godmother, and I consider her one of my closest friends;

And the girl at the end of our hall bumped into me on a walk around our new neighborhood when our kids were small; she lived around the corner, and we have watched our kiddos grow up and graduate together. When she served as PTO President for the high school, she wrote a lovely piece for our alum group's Facebook page about being scared to death before her welcoming speech at Parents' Open House, until she saw our Assistant Principal sis and me sitting in the front row, cheering her on.

Sisterhood is powerful, but living in the house together strengthens those bonds beyond measure. You won't be as close to everyone, but the friendships and connections you make will stay with you for life. I hope you have a wonderful year in the house!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

"The BEST part of living in the house comes years and years later, when these ladies pop up in your adult life again and your relationships pick up right where they left off. "

"snaps fingers" (In my chapter this meant that you agree.)

This is something that I do my best to impress upon those who are unsure if Greek life is for them. Those relationships that you cultivated in college will continue to matter even after graduation. And I have to agree with austingammaphi that there is something extra special about your bond with your housemates.

Last edited by TLLK; 06-08-2016 at 11:12 AM.