GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,215
2 members and 2,213 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 02-27-2006, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Insurance for Presidents?

With situations like the one which recently took place in South Carolina at Coastal Carolina University where the parents of hazed students may choose to file suit against the fraternity's president, do most - or any - GLOs make it a policy to carry Directors' and Officers' Liability insurance?

I'm not sure if it can be applied, but I am aware of it being typically used to protect boards of Non-Profit Organizations should they ever face litigation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2006, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

IF all policies and procedures of the organization are followed, the President is included in the organization's liability insurance. Most home owner's policies include some personal liability insurance but many National/International Officers choose to add additional liability insurance through riders to their home owner's.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
IF all policies and procedures of the organization are followed, the President is included in the organization's liability insurance. Most home owner's policies include some personal liability insurance but many National/International Officers choose to add additional liability insurance through riders to their home owner's.
Generally speaking, if there is a death or some kind of problem due to alcohol, the organization/insurance company's policies were not being followed.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-27-2006, 09:45 AM

It's a good question. I suspect it's the same for most, if not all groups, but I'm certain that Delt carries insurance for the alumni volunteers. I don't know about undergraduate officers, but suspect they are covered under the chapter policy.

As has been pointed out, though, if the rules of the policy are broken, the insurance company will not honor a claim.

I always carried extra liability coverage personally when I was an advisor and/or division officer.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was president of my chapter, I believe I was covered by a seperate insurance policy.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
When I was president of my chapter, I believe I was covered by a seperate insurance policy.
Probably everybody does it differently.

I think it would be wise for chapter officers (or their parents) to take out extra (blanket liability) coverage -- it isn't that expensive.

To be honest, the way things are, I'm just as happy that our kids didn't opt to rush/pledge -- although I obviously would have supported them if they had.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Probably everybody does it differently.
Definitely, although I had just assumed that every organization did the same thing. I didn't know organizations did it for alumni volunteers, although, to be fair, I can't specifically remember whether or not I was covered for the year I was an AAA (assistant alumnus advisor).
Old 02-27-2006, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I have closed down over ten fraternities and sororities in my lifetime. I do lawsuits against those nasty hedonists for free. I felt warm inside when the frat president started to cry when he was informed his scholarship was gone.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomsoda
I have closed down over ten fraternities and sororities in my lifetime. I do lawsuits against those nasty hedonists for free. I felt warm inside when the frat president started to cry when he was informed his scholarship was gone.
Don't start playing games over here.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Insurance for Presidents?

Quote:
Originally posted by justnobody
With situations like the one which recently took place in South Carolina at Coastal Carolina University where the parents of hazed students may choose to file suit against the fraternity's president, do most - or any - GLOs make it a policy to carry Directors' and Officers' Liability insurance?

I'm not sure if it can be applied, but I am aware of it being typically used to protect boards of Non-Profit Organizations should they ever face litigation.
I don't know if all GLOs have a policy, but I do recall our president making sure she followed our risk management policy to the LETTER at one of our parties a few years ago... she said that she could be sued if she didn't follow procedure exactly and someone got hurt/hospitalized. I don't know if she had personal liability insurance, but someone or something definitely ignited her fear of a lawsuit.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity