GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,262
1 members and 1,261 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

SMU Kappa Kappa Gamma Member Sues Sorority Over Racy Video

SMU Kappa Kappa Gamma Member Sues Sorority Over Racy Video
According to the Dallas Morning News, an SMU senior is suing her sorority over a video that was recorded without consent.

The senior, who identified as “Jane Doe,” filed a lawsuit Wednesday, accusing Kappa Kappa Gamma national sorority of negligence and invasion of privacy. The lawsuit seeks more than $1 million in damages.

The video features “Doe” and other sorority members dancing in their underwear inside the SMU Kappa house Jan. 13 welcoming about 45 new members after bid day.

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/s...ver-racy-video
Old 03-24-2016, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

The second half of this article raises so many questions...

@~/~~~~
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

This may be an interesting case to follow given the rise of social media - both public and seemingly private (like Snapchat) - intermingled with standards.

Did collegians learn nothing from SAE at OU? Someone is always recording you.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

The Yahoo Finance article has more detail than the student article. So, she was terminated by Kappa for participating in what her attorney calls a "ritual" (don't think so), along with most of the other participants, and then sues Kappa when there is no evidence that the video was ever posted to social media.

Um, OK. You behaved inappropriately. You were taped. You were punished. Now you're suing the organization that punished you. Sour grapes.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 03-24-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

I think some in the legal community have just witnessed a couple of huge invasion of privacy verdicts come down relating to public figures. There may be a little money to be made here. I'm also not so sure (without hitting the books) that this is as much a "nothing" sort of incident as some apparently think. I'd probably have to see the video to really get a good feel for what this is all about.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 03-24-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree about the recent privacy invasion cases. From the reports, she chose to participate. Cell phones were turned in, so that no one could tape them dancing in their underwear. Yet, a taping did occur. Kappa found out, investigated, and punished participants. Now she's suing Kappa? Unlike Erin Andrews, who was unknowingly taped, this woman decided to participate in something the participants felt was questionable enough to ask that phones be collected first, and is upset that someone did tape it, and presumably upset that she was terminated. I can see her suing to get the tape, so it isn't posted or shared further, but suing Kappa and the others for damages just looks greedy. And calling this dancing "ritual" seems to be taking advantage of anti-Greek sentiment by making it appear that this was a sorority-endorsed activity.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Allegedly, a “Kappa national agent” used a security camera to record the partially naked women without their consent. She is claiming National planted the camera? Really?

...that according to lawsuit claims, Kappa’s national office heard about the video. The Ohio headquarters told sorority members to “keep quiet and not tell their parents, boyfriends, SMU officials or others what happened on bid night.”
So many chapters across all sororities are closed now because of inappropriate behavior, why would a National HQ tell the members to cover up this particular event? Something is not right. Sounds like a special snowflake has never been held accountable for her actions and now is suing out of fear that this could somehow affect her employment opportunities.

DaffyKD
Old 03-24-2016, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
Allegedly, a “Kappa national agent” used a security camera to record the partially naked women without their consent. She is claiming National planted the camera? Really?
It sounds to me like there may have been a security camera that was not disabled before the partially naked dancing commenced.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 03-24-2016, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

IMO, based on prior experience and limited legal knowledge: if Kappa Kappa Gamma followed their own internal policies and procedures (which I am reasonably certain they did - this isn't their first rodeo, they've been around for a while ), the lawsuit is dead in the water. It's a private membership organization, and prior court cases have not supported former members who've sued over disciplinary actions as long as the member organization was able to prove that it consistently followed its own policies. Kevin, I can get some legal citations for you if you can't locate them on your own.

Frankly, I would like to think that these young men and women would just stop recording every single sneeze and eye blink. I'm very grateful that I grew up when you had to take film in to be developed, and you didn't consider documenting your escapades. Although there IS this one photo... but I do have the negative and the only copy (that I know of). That's enough out of me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-24-2016, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

There are 2 issues here as I see it. 1, as I mentioned in the other thread, is why is this something they want to do? 2, this girl and so many others out there need to learn to put their money where their mouths are at the time of the incident, not later when they're embarrassed it got out. How much hazing and other in poor taste moments would go away if a member stood up and said "Nope, not gonna do this." and walked out? Even 1 person would likely be enough to squelch the whole thing. And there couldn't possibly be backlash or yes, college and much more would be courtesy of the sorority.

Woman up girls! If you think something is wrong, you need to do something about it! And that's now, not some time later when you've been disciplined for doing something you knew was wrong at the time.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Is partially-clothed dancing NOT a part of ritual in your chapters? Strange...
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
It sounds to me like there may have been a security camera that was not disabled before the partially naked dancing commenced.

And I can see a lot of safety, risk management and security issues that would arise if they knowingly disabled the security cameras so they dance in their underwear. Why not just put on a long t-shirt and greet the new members while clothed?????

Maybe I'm old, but I just cannot see the value in greeting the New Members wearing only underwear.......just saying.......
Old 03-24-2016, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriMarie View Post
Is partially-clothed dancing NOT a part of ritual in your chapters? Strange...
I know, right? I thought it was mandatory all-around. Naked pillow fights and all that... /sarcasm
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
Maybe I'm old, but I just cannot see the value in greeting the New Members wearing only underwear.......just saying.......
Cosign.... I mean I'm always cold, so I always have layers on, but I think I would have been scared at half naked seniors surrounding me.......

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 03-24-2016, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think this lawsuit will go anywhere. A few questions though: 1) who owns the house? If KKG owns the house, they more than likely told the members in writing that there were security cameras on the property. The member probably didn't read the docs before she signed them. If the school owns the house, then that's a no brainer - of course there are security cameras. 2) Why is this girl suing? If 18 Seniors were expelled, why this girl??? And why didn't the other 17 join the lawsuit.