GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,054
1 members and 1,053 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

And of course, the alcohol ban for Greek organizations worked just as well as WE knew it would. Unbelieveable that it was the SAME house (Delta Sigma Phi) that was caught violating it

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/l...-sigma-phi.ece

Now the Delta Sigma Phi chapter has been suspended.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Surprise of the century.

I went back and reread the original article about the ban. It says that it doesn't apply to members who drink at their homes. I wonder how they plan to handle members who live in?

ETA: Also, I'm hoping that the powers that be realize that 2 incidents occurring at the same house in a relatively short period of time does not equal a problem with the entire Greek system.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

If the original article is correct in its claim that alcohol is banned at fraternity and sorority functions, events, formals, parties, etc., then it doesn't seem as though the recent behavior violated that. I guess it depends on the wording of the original ban.

I'm trying to work some of this stuff out in my head. If these kids had not consumed this alcohol (yet... we know they were probably going to, but for the sake of hypothetical situations), a 21 year old had bought it, and they were just carrying it from the car to the house for the 21 year old, is that really a minor in possession? Like, if I buy beer while grocery shopping and my son carries it in the house for me, is that MIP? What about 18 year old bartenders and waitresses who pour and deliver alcohol all the time? Is simply holding a bottle truly being a minor in possession?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
What about 18 year old bartenders and waitresses who pour and deliver alcohol all the time? Is simply holding a bottle truly being a minor in possession?
FYI, here in Texas, 18 year old servers are not permitted to pour or even just serve alcohol. No 18 year old bartenders either! They must be 21 to handle liquor in any way.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. In Michigan and New York, you can do both at 18.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Some states go with the arbitrary age of 19, which is weird.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Some states go with the arbitrary age of 19, which is weird.
Some states used to have 19 as the drinking age. Maybe they didn't update their alcoholic beverage server laws when they changed the drinking laws?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Some states used to have 19 as the drinking age. Maybe they didn't update their alcoholic beverage server laws when they changed the drinking laws?
Oh, that could be. In good ol' Champaign, the bar age is 19, though you have to be 21 to drink.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
FYI, here in Texas, 18 year old servers are not permitted to pour or even just serve alcohol. No 18 year old bartenders either! They must be 21 to handle liquor in any way.
I made a mistake... looks like minors can serve alcohol in the course of their employment with a licensed establishment here in Texas. Don't know when that changed!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm terribly late with this news, but the alcohol ban was lifted: http://ntdaily.com/university-lifts-...e-alcohol-ban/

The alcohol issue did have something to do with Delta Sig's suspension, but again, there were a few additional issues. The alcohol- and in particular underage drinking- was just the last straw.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't kids get drunk and fall off balconies all the time - not necessarily in fraternity houses? Are they going to ban multistorey student housing next?