GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,917
0 members and 1,917 guests
No Members online

Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Does your sorority allow collegians to get bling? Mine doesn't (though maybe we are the only one?).
Phi Mu doesn't allow bling for collegiates? I've seen so many beautiful Phi Mu pins, too!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Several chapters here prefer every one has a similar badge. You don't want to end up having to buy another badge for recruitment if you are going to be an officer next year.
I keep coming back to this comment, for some reason it really bothers me! (Not the fact that you made the comment, HQWest, but the fact that there are chapters that would require a woman to buy a second badge because hers isn't the exact style of everyone else's.) Yet another reminder of why I would have gone crazy if I had gone to a southern school.

OP - I say go for the bling! I don't think you will regret it. But, I'm biased. My own original badge is plain, and I haven't worn it since I got a badge with pearls.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Most of the girls in my chapter and a distinct majority of my pledge class ended up choosing the least expensive badge, but not for financial reasons. The simplicity of the badge and its importance in our sorority was the reason we chose the most "plain" badge. The chased O badge was the same cost, but generally everyone got the basic badge and everyone got it in yellow gold.

When I look at the badge I chose all those years ago, I am glad I went with the simplest badge even now. Every time I look at it, I think its beautiful and that there is great beauty in what is simple. That is not to say that I don't drool over the beautiful blinged out badges I have seen on here, especially the vintage ones.

However, you need to choose the badge for you. Is the $150 badge the one you like best? If so get it. If you like the more simple badge, choose that. If your dream badge is more than $150, I would consider getting the basic badge and purchasing the blinged out one you really want later!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Phi Mu doesn't allow bling for collegiates? I've seen so many beautiful Phi Mu pins, too!
Unless it has changed since I was an undergrad, no. I kinda like the idea of everyone being initiated with the same badge anyway.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

I bought one of these several years ago:

I don't regret it at all.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Unless it has changed since I was an undergrad, no. I kinda like the idea of everyone being initiated with the same badge anyway.
I believe you, but I am surprised! There are so many beautiful jeweled Phi Mu badges on "that site". Any idea where they come from? Did they come from a time prior to this decision or is it possible to add stones after a badge is purchased?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Side note: I happened to obtain (for next to nothing) a white gold Theta badge that is 100% white gold, meaning that the black enamel top part is also white gold which is just not done; that part of our badge (the upper kite, as it were) is always black and gold. I think the seller thought it was a sterling silver badge, which would be a total anomaly. And NO I didn't get it on an auction site. Regardless, now I wonder if I should have turquoise set in where the pearls are. That might look fine, or really ugly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I think we need a picture of this!! I can't picture it and it sounds really interesting.
Seriously!!! Where is this picture, AzTheta???

Quote:
Originally Posted by etadrisophila View Post
Trident or no trident?
If yes to trident: plain (no pearl), one pearl or three pearls?
Do they still make the short tridents? I always thought those were cute. Plus I've seen quite a few long tridents that are bent. Of course if you are super careful with it you'll likely be fine- but any long thin piece of metal is susceptible to getting bent. If it were me, I'd go for a short trident with pearls to set off the badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea&krumpets View Post
I would like a little bling, but the thing is the plain ones are under $40, and the next price point is $150. I just wish there was something in between, or silver options.
I lamented for the first few years that we didn't have white gold or silver keys. Not for price, but because I never wear anything gold! However, it's hard now to imagine an iconic golden key as anything but gold. I just suck it up and have a few gold necklaces I can wear with my badge. As for the big price gap- the vermeil badge is actually fairly new. We just started offering that either last fall or the fall before to provide a less expensive way of having your own badge.

And personally, if you can afford it (or prioritize to afford it), I would go for the badge that you would both treasure and wear. That's different for each sister- some love the uber bling, and others love the classic simplicity of our golden key. Many fall somewhere in the middle. For the past 20 years or so, sapphire & pearl has been a very popular choice (that's what my initiation badge was as well). Of course, I'm partial to the blue & blue key now- not only because I requested it , but because it has our colors within our symbol. That's also been a popular one since it was released in... 2010 I think? Vintage badges are also a great option and have a history all their own. You really can't go wrong... as long as you get one!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
I keep coming back to this comment, for some reason it really bothers me! (Not the fact that you made the comment, HQWest, but the fact that there are chapters that would require a woman to buy a second badge because hers isn't the exact style of everyone else's.) Yet another reminder of why I would have gone crazy if I had gone to a southern school.

OP - I say go for the bling! I don't think you will regret it. But, I'm biased. My own original badge is plain, and I haven't worn it since I got a badge with pearls.
I come from a chapter where everyone got the same badge at initiation. It was a lot of years ago, and I seem to remember our pledge master asking "What kind of badge do you want? Our chapter has a tradition of everyone getting the plain rose-engraved badge." and that's what we all got. I don't know if they've changed the tradition since; I didn't ask the women in the chapter now. Though I've bought a couple of badges since, nothing will ever compare to my simple gold anchor. And I still prefer it to the more blinged-out options.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post

The problem wasn't the style - the problem discussed in that chapter was with the "mini" badge which did not look quite the same.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I believe you, but I am surprised! There are so many beautiful jeweled Phi Mu badges on "that site". Any idea where they come from? Did they come from a time prior to this decision or is it possible to add stones after a badge is purchased?
Alumnae can have them, and the official jeweler offers them for alumnae members. It's only a restriction on collegians.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl View Post
Most of the girls in my chapter and a distinct majority of my pledge class ended up choosing the least expensive badge, but not for financial reasons. The simplicity of the badge and its importance in our sorority was the reason we chose the most "plain" badge. The chased O badge was the same cost, but generally everyone got the basic badge and everyone got it in yellow gold.

When I look at the badge I chose all those years ago, I am glad I went with the simplest badge even now. Every time I look at it, I think its beautiful and that there is great beauty in what is simple. That is not to say that I don't drool over the beautiful blinged out badges I have seen on here, especially the vintage ones.

However, you need to choose the badge for you. Is the $150 badge the one you like best? If so get it. If you like the more simple badge, choose that. If your dream badge is more than $150, I would consider getting the basic badge and purchasing the blinged out one you really want later!
This is why AOII will NEVER get rid of our plain gold badge. We were founded on simplicity. I bought the pearl O badge, or rather my mom bought me a pearl O badge for initiation. I know own many jeweled badges and a perfect shiny plain gold version which is so pretty in its simplicity. They all mean the same thing...just say something different about the owner.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cane94G8r97
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I bought a plain badge when I was initiated because
Years later, I decided to buy a silver badge with alternating pearls and turquoise, and I am so glad that I went the route that I did. I probably would not have chosen the pearl and turquoise badge at 18. I still absolutely love it 10 years later. Since ZTA's colors are turquoise blue and steel grey, my badge is especially special to me.
FSUZeta... I lucked out because my sister was also Gamma Alpha's General Advisor She payed for my badge. I picked turquoise and pearls too. However, I got it on yellow gold because it was 1991 and yellow gold was still the thing in Miami. (OUCH!) Anyway, years later, I ended up getting a white gold and sapphire badge off of eBay. I know its wrong, but it feels so right.
Always a Zeta Tau Alpha \^^^/
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
My advice would be just do NOT get a gold filled badge (if your sorority offers that option). My parents paid for most of my sorority stuff and I felt guilty that the badge was something else they bought for me, so I just opted for the cheapest option. Don't get me wrong, I like the plain badge with no bling, but it looks so much better in actual gold and not gold fill. Silly 20 year old me
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

You are a lucky lady(wink-wink)! And I feel your pain about the gold....back in the 70's it was THE thing and my plain badge was gold.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
When I was a new member(2005) my Phi Mu chapter did not offer it as an option. I am not certain if that rule formally existed but now that other people are saying that it makes sense.

Since then I have seen new members allowed to make jeweled badge options. I do not know if that has changed for this year or anything, but in years after me new members had very beautiful jeweled badges.