GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,121
0 members and 1,121 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

More clothing questions

okay, i will admit my daughter and I are the queens of last minute shopping. I have learned enough from stalking these boards, that the attire for each round, should you be chosen to attend the next one, is very important. i have looked at all of the wonderful suggestions re: clothing. BUT.....I NEED MORE!!! specific to UGA if someone can do so, and if not UGA, specific to HOT and HUMID big SEC recruitment. I need to put the fear of being naked in uncomfortable shoes in my daughter!!!! and if you could actually include a "where to buy button"...or I could just send my CC (just kidding). thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that the online version of the Athens Banner Herald usually covers formal recruitment and bid day each year. So does the red and black. Perhaps you could get some ideas of clothing and shoes that would be appropriate for your daughter by looking at the pics and video clips from 2011 formal recruitment on these websites.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, have you looked at the clothing guidelines in The Pointer?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I stickied the thread about "If You Could Do It Again", that has tons of fabulous suggestions for recruitment clothing, mostly sorted by parties!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. Now if I could only get my precious pnm to go shopping....
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

As the mom of a rising college freshman (who will probably not go through recruitment), I have discovered that receiving a high school diploma means that you know everything and your mom knows nothing. I am learning to just nod and smile and say things like "this is just something you might want to consider..." and leave it at that.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Or employ reverse psychology...point to an appropriate outfit and talk about how awful it is.
Trouble is, you can only use that ruse two or three times!
Or get a year-older sorority member to show her the light.
At our alum panhellenic spring tea, when the older alumnae talk, the mothers are at attention and the daughters gaze off in the distance or their thumbs get busy texting.
When the college students talk, they're all ears!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Or employ reverse psychology...point to an appropriate outfit and talk about how awful it is.
Trouble is, you can only use that ruse two or three times!
Or get a year-older sorority member to show her the light.
At our alum panhellenic spring tea, when the older alumnae talk, the mothers are at attention and the daughters gaze off in the distance or their thumbs get busy texting.
When the college students talk, they're all ears!
This was a great method for a friend's daughter. Friend's Daughter assembled her outfits and sorority member came over and critiqued them, which made F.D. feel much more confident.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
This was a great method for a friend's daughter. Friend's Daughter assembled her outfits and sorority member came over and critiqued them, which made F.D. feel much more confident.
Really, this is basically what happens at the chapters during dress check before recruitment. The recruitment chair comes by and critiques your outfits.

It's a good idea.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
Really, this is basically what happens at the chapters during dress check before recruitment. The recruitment chair comes by and critiques your outfits.

It's a good idea.
Oh, i know all about that...i am a recruitment advisor. And we even had dress checks back in the stone age to make sure our animal skins weren't too short
Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Oh, i know all about that...i am a recruitment advisor. And we even had dress checks back in the stone age to make sure our animal skins weren't too short
I know you know. But PNMs might not.

Once upon a time, at my first rush on the sisters' side, my skin WAS too short and me and my Big had to go shopping. It was terrible.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

LOL!! I almost had to wipe vegetarian chile off my screen!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question - we get t-shirts to wear for a couple of the days at the school I'm rushing at, which is nice. However, what about bottoms? I'll be in a hot, humid climate. But I'm sure that short-shorts should be avoided. Would bermudas or mid-thigh shorts be okay?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

My opinion would be mid-thigh as they are more in fashion right now. My rule of thumb for shorts is very similar to skirts aka the Catholic school rule. If it goes past the tips of your fingers, you are safe!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Fashion is so regional. In SoCal IF you have the legs no one under 30 would be caught in bermuda shorts. Those are the shorts of tourists.

Suggestion: Go to the mall. Look at the young and fashionable girls. Take notes: eliminate the extremes and purchase what the majority are wearing. Also: look on YouTube...search for your school and add sorority...bid day...and look at what the girls are wearing. Let that be your guide.