GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,412
0 members and 2,412 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2004, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread is making me giggle, no offense. But I have the same advice: go with an open mind, and don't go by the stereotypes. As much as I would probably want you as a sister if I met you in person, it's really important to go into rush with an open mind.

Many girls at universities get their hearts set on one group, and if they are cut from that group, they drop completely. That's definitely not being open-minded.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
I agree. Go into recruitment with an open mind. Don't go in with preconceived notions about what other people may say, b/c that is their opinion and you should make your own. One house that may be great for your best friend may not be for you. I know most of us on here have been in that position.

If I had gone into recruitment with what one of my roommates said about a chapter at my school it would have severely biased my judgement. I'm not in that particular chapter, but alot of my really good friends are and I wouldn't change where I went for the world.

I will add to what OleMiss said, and yes check out those schools Panhellenic websites, also check out the organizations [inter]national websites. Check out what they were founded on, their ideals, philanthropies, and such. Get a feel for the entire organization so when you go into recruitment you can ask questions and get to know the women you will be talking to. Each one of those organizations are great and each have different ideals. If it will help, also check out the NPC Sorority challenge thread and see what other women are saying about the glo's.

ETA: I just read the reply above mine about girls being dropped and then quitting completely. I had my heart set on one house, but I realized that I would be where I was meant to be, where I could do the most good and be myself. Remember that going into this. Don't completely drop out of recruitment if you are dropped from your first choice, keep your mind open, b/c you may see things that you weren't seeing before and change your mind.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.

Last edited by AOII*Azra-elle; 07-20-2004 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Anal...

All I have to say is most of you are anal...

Some people may want the generic loads of recruitment B.S. - but this particular girl asked for the opinion of someone currently in the system at a specific school...

I wouldn't give information if I didn't know anything about the sororities...

And besides, I began the information emphasizing the fact that rushing is finding the sorority that fits your personality and characteristics...

She asked for my opinion, and I gave it...

Not the info that she's gonna hear from every one else (like ON THIS BOARD!), but some blunt realities...

And yes, I gave the good and bad...

I know gals in most of these houses by the way... The big houses and the small houses ...

I also know girls who RUSHED, but decided not to take the bid from their last choice house, and be an independent instead... It's no coincidence which houses were last choice... Because they're well known facts by anyone who really knows...

Now you can hide that all you want, but everyone in the know, KNOWS...

There's nothing wrong with talking to someone who specifically asks for certain first hand information...

And yes, I think Gamma Phi is awesome... but don't think i'm biased... I have friends in most of the houses...
And my bis sis is a Delta Gamma (and even in that case, I gladly provided the negatives - which she ASKED FOR)...

So yeah, stop being so anal... She will find out for herself eventually - she just wants a general idea - and that's what she got...

She will know which one to join from her GUT FEELING, but that will never change the images of those houses to the general public and the greek system... Catch my drift?

GO BEACH!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto on the asking fraternity boys their opinion. I heard the same three names mentioned over and over again by the boys I talked to. One of them I definitely didn't want and the other two I was totally unfamiliar with. But I had "decided" one of them was for me. I totally ended up getting a group that no one had mentioned before and not only was it my first choice, it was the perfect fit!

The next year at recruitment we found out that one of our members bf was talking us up at all of his parties to the rushees (probably thought he was being helpful)-and several of them found him off putting and insincere and we didn't take any of those girls. We made quota and all, but we were miffed that the girls had a preconceived notion that may or may not have been true.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I rushed Gamma Phi over another sorority on the advice of my boyfriend's fraternity brothers, whom I really respected. It was the best advice I have ever taken.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
As a Long Beach State alumna, and a Gamma Phi Beta, I can tell you that the CSULB Greek Life website is not that helpful. It's a nice looking website, but the information for NPC recruitment seems sort of like an afterthought - just the dates and application. Plus, not all of the NPC chapters have a local website. Please note, however, that Alpha Omicron Pi does have a website. The Greek Life Office hasn't gotten around to updating the listing yet. Their website address is: http://www.aoiicsulb.org/

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/stude...eek/index.html is the link directly to the Greek Life home page.

I am flattered that you seem to like Gamma Phi Beta so much. Though, I am not sure why you favor my organization over all the others! There are some really fantastic sororties at both universities! I echo what the others are saying. Go through recruitment with the idea that you'll at least give all of the groups a fair chance. Allow yourself to be open to finding out which one truly speaks to your heart. If you do that, you can't go wrong.

Best Wishes,

.....Kelly
Would like to point out that this very unhelpful website still has recruitment information for FALL 2015 on its Panhellenic Recruitment sub-forum.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Would like to point out that this very unhelpful website still has recruitment information for FALL 2015 on its Panhellenic Recruitment sub-forum.
You should also know that you just bumped a thread that was last updated 13 years ago.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaEmi88 View Post
You should also know that you just bumped a thread that was last updated 13 years ago.
Perfect point in both cases. Wake up, Rip Van Winkles.

It is also kind of fun seeing all the old GC screen names!
Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaEmi88 View Post
Oh I was aware of that however we do have PNMs who will have recently received their acceptance letters to both universities and might be considering joining a GLO.

Both have had NPC sororities return to these campuses and reestablish their chapters.

The "unhelpful website" that I was referring to was the CSULB Greeklife site. (Which was the one referred to in navane's post.)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagogreek View Post
Not south dakota state university, I am interested in san diego state university
Duh! Everyone reading this thread, including wannagogreek, knew that!
Old 04-29-2017, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
It's too bad Erik P Conard isn't around to chime in anymore. His bluntness was off-putting to some, but how many of us can say we met the national founders of our fraternity?

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 04-29-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Spoke recently with a Delta Gamma recruitment advisor and CSULB alumna who mentioned that the school has not had a Greek Life advisor for two years now. The Greek Life website has not been updated since 2015.