GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,484
2 members and 2,482 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 05-30-2000, 05:09 PM
Rushee_NPC

Question Do recommendation forms make a difference at all?

I went through Formal Rush and had a recommendation forms for 2 of the 7 sororities on campus. I didn't get bid by either of those sororities.
(I am not a legacy) Someone please tell me what went wrong?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2000, 11:08 PM
Smarty

Question

A similar thing happened to me too this past year...I had a letter but I don't think it made much difference. Just wondering if they carry any weight at all.
Old 05-30-2000, 11:53 PM

Recs do carry weight!

As long as they are recieved from the person who wrote them before rush starts, the chapters will make sure to pay extra attention to you and try to figure out if you'll fit in and make a good member.

However, you still have to do your part. Plus who knows how many other girls had recs or were legs.

All they do is make sure that you get a little more consideration. They DO NOT seal the deal!
Old 06-21-2000, 11:27 AM
theta_love

Thumbs up

at my school, panhel sends out rush info over the summer, saying not to worry about getting recs and that it is the sororities' responsibility to get them if it wants them. this is the official message from panhel. but this is actually not the case w/ my chapter. when we get a rec, we will give that girl extra consideration during rush and make a point of checking her out during the fall before rush. like the last person said, it in no way guarantees that you're in. if the actives think that you wouldn't fit in for whatever reason, you won't get a bid even if you've been recommended. they trust their own judgement over a rec.

here's my advice: even if your school says you don't need recs, all the national sororities will accept them gladly, and they CAN help your chances somewhat. so if you know an alum who can help you out, DO send in those recs before rush. don't just trust what panhel says because certain chapters MAY in fact consider recs. anyhow, it can't hurt to send them in.
Old 06-25-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I have a ?...Do recs have to come from someone who is in a sorority that goes to the school you are attending? Or can you get a rec from a friend who went to a different school?