GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,059
2 members and 1,057 guests
No Members online

Old 11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCutie View Post
The matching shirts are a great idea... as long as Panhellenic doesn't ask the PNMs to wear them during Round 1! It would be impossible to remember what girls you met if they were all wearing the same shirt, I think.
You would actually be surprised. Like DeltaBetaBaby said, the girls pick their own accessories, bottom half of the outfit, and shoes. Plus the PNM decorate thieir nametags to reflect them...or at least you hope there is something that will be distinguishable. Are there a lot of girls to remember? Oh yes! But that means you're concentrating on the nametag (which obviously, name!) and the other accessories they picked to be unique.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofISigKap View Post
You would actually be surprised. Like DeltaBetaBaby said, the girls pick their own accessories, bottom half of the outfit, and shoes. Plus the PNM decorate thieir nametags to reflect them...or at least you hope there is something that will be distinguishable. Are there a lot of girls to remember? Oh yes! But that means you're concentrating on the nametag (which obviously, name!) and the other accessories they picked to be unique.

We had two days of round 1 open house, and we had to wear our green shirts the first day, and our white shirts the second day, AND our name tags were made by panhel so they were all the same!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousWildcat View Post
We had two days of round 1 open house, and we had to wear our green shirts the first day, and our white shirts the second day, AND our name tags were made by panhel so they were all the same!
Wow, um...they tried to make it real easy for you didn't they?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousWildcat View Post
At least you got to wear two different shirts for round 1, the women in the houses had to wear the same blue shirt two days in a row! I honestly think that this is a result of UK not being used to having round 1 in two days. Girls were changing shirts between groups & on breaks to try and keep their one blue one clean. Hopefully PHC will reconsider for next year.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
(BTW, what other schools give the PNM matching shirts? In retrospect, it is a great idea, and Illinois is still doing it)
Iowa State does and I think it's a great idea too. The PNM gets a white t-shirt with red letters to wear for the first day. Each chapter also has a shirt to wear for the first day, except the chapter gets to pick two different colors, i.e. purple with pink letters or whatever. The only difference in the shirts is that the respective chapter has their name at the top of the chapter "wheel" of sorts on the back of the shirt. I think this also helps so that the chapter nor the PNM is too dressed up on 14 party day.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily0325 View Post
I personally don't like the sound of no frills recruitement.. it sort of takes the fun out of it although I do see the reasoning... I just see it as if a girl wants to be in another sorority because they have cool shirts or cool themes then I don't want her. Girls going through that are quality and have honorable intentions aren't going to care about that stuff. So why not just let us do it?
I agree with adpiucf's point when she said "clearly you have never been a teenager." Though moderately surprising, girls here (and everywhere, I assume) truly do base their opinions (when it comes to ranking and choosing a sorority) greatly on the clothing and other "frills" involved in recruitment.
I remember hearing girls in various Pi Chi groups saying, "Oh, XYZ sorority was the only sorority to wear all dresses on the first day. That was so classy of them! That really stood out to me."
On the contrary, I'd hear girls saying, "That sorority had really ugly shirts and nasty tasting drinks. Their house was really drab. They didn't wow me, so what would make me want to join their sorority?"
The conversation can be fabulous, but great clothes, decorations and fun songs really are memorable.
Especially with that dress thing, I've hear recruitment chairs talking a great deal about going with that idea to impress PNMs. While conversation is important and girls SHOULD base their opinions on character, apparent strength of the sisterhood, etc. as oppossed to who had the cutest outfit and most memorable song...it sadly isn't that way.
As we all know, a lot of girls rank based on physical appearance (whichever sorority has the prettiest sisters), so obviously clothing comes into play. After that, they take into consideration the beverages, decorations and songs. They notice a carefully planned recruitment and consider sororities that go all out to be the most desirable.
On my campus, we are not technically allowed to ALL have identical outfits...I believe half of the girls can have one item and the other half can have a similar looking but slightly different item. Some people change the clothes around by throwing on different color ribbons or tucking in straps on dresses. We are, however, allowed to have other things that may or may not be considered "frills" like all matching t-shirts on one day, door songs, and drinks like smoothies, pina colodas, root beer floats, etc. for every day but the first ice water day. However, we do not have a skit and as of this year, house tours are no longer allowed. Instead, on the day they used to be given, they were replaced with a sisterhood video and longer conversation.
I can definitely see how a "no frills" recruitment can be more peaceful and easier, esp. financially, but some frills are fun and I appreciate that we can still have them!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGAOPi View Post
I agree with adpiucf's point when she said "clearly you have never been a teenager." Though moderately surprising, girls here (and everywhere, I assume) truly do base their opinions (when it comes to ranking and choosing a sorority) greatly on the clothing and other "frills" involved in recruitment.
I remember hearing girls in various Pi Chi groups saying, "Oh, XYZ sorority was the only sorority to wear all dresses on the first day. That was so classy of them! That really stood out to me."
On the contrary, I'd hear girls saying, "That sorority had really ugly shirts and nasty tasting drinks. Their house was really drab. They didn't wow me, so what would make me want to join their sorority?"
The conversation can be fabulous, but great clothes, decorations and fun songs really are memorable.
Especially with that dress thing, I've hear recruitment chairs talking a great deal about going with that idea to impress PNMs. While conversation is important and girls SHOULD base their opinions on character, apparent strength of the sisterhood, etc. as oppossed to who had the cutest outfit and most memorable song...it sadly isn't that way.
As we all know, a lot of girls rank based on physical appearance (whichever sorority has the prettiest sisters), so obviously clothing comes into play. After that, they take into consideration the beverages, decorations and songs. They notice a carefully planned recruitment and consider sororities that go all out to be the most desirable.
On my campus, we are not technically allowed to ALL have identical outfits...I believe half of the girls can have one item and the other half can have a similar looking but slightly different item. Some people change the clothes around by throwing on different color ribbons or tucking in straps on dresses. We are, however, allowed to have other things that may or may not be considered "frills" like all matching t-shirts on one day, door songs, and drinks like smoothies, pina colodas, root beer floats, etc. for every day but the first ice water day. However, we do not have a skit and as of this year, house tours are no longer allowed. Instead, on the day they used to be given, they were replaced with a sisterhood video and longer conversation.
I can definitely see how a "no frills" recruitment can be more peaceful and easier, esp. financially, but some frills are fun and I appreciate that we can still have them!

during my time as a PNM, i heard about a girl that was basing her top choices on how nicely designed/decorated the houses were. Like, "oh this house had a piano and i really liked their color scheme,so im ranking it first. and that other house that was more victorian but didnt have a piano, are going second even though the girls were just as nice or nicer." that to me seems so silly, and u cant change the HOUSES themselves..like the color of the walls and such.

personally i cant wait to be on the other side of recruitment next year. im excited about the themes, the decorating and learning the songs. id be upset if it all was taken away..besides, where is the fun in that? if girls arent smart enough to see through the glitter and glam, then perhaps they arent mature enough to be in a sorority.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

[quote=DeltaBetaBaby;1362366]A couple thoughts on no frills:

If your first round lasts for more than one night (as ours does), and you all have matching t-shirts that you ordered, you better believe your rush chair is not going to let anyone wash those shirts in between. You won't want to show up on day 2 with eighty different shades of pink. Therefore, you spend about eight hours in the August heat wearing your shirt, and can do nothing but febreeze it overnight.

This reminds me of what happened to my daughter when she went through rush at Ole Miss in October....they had really cute T-shirts to wear to the 2 nights of Philanthropy parties, and after the first night she was starving, got a hamburger, and managed to get ketchup all over her shirt. She took it to the basement to wash it and before she could get back down to get it someone stole it out the washing machine. Her Gamma Chi managed to get her another one to wear for the next night's parties, but believe me it was a "prozac moment!"
Old 11-27-2006, 12:36 PM

In 2004, when my school first started moving toward the "no frills" recommendations, Panhellenic required all the PNMs to wear KSU clothing for the first round. That was a mess. Girls are already hard enough to remember, but it was really hard when 90% of them wore the SAME KSU t-shirt (because it was on sale for $5 at the time). You can imagine the frustration when someone said things like "You know, the one with the blonde hair in the KSU t-shirt." Well gee, that really narrows it down.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The way we do it is, what I would call, light on frils. It's not bare minimum blank room no matching at all type...we just can't go overboard. We don't do rush in our houses, we do all of it in different rooms in the student center. They changed the rules a little this year so that we can only have baloons and food at two of our parties (I suppose this is assuming that we'll use the "shiny" things where we feel they're the most important). We still wear matching outfits, but only to the extent of we order shirts for three parties and say what sort of bottoms/shoes to wear, and wear our black (ritual) dresses for ther fourth set. Some groups do skits, some don't. Basically it's cut back enough that the focus winds up being on meeting people and getting to know people, and not how pretty someones decorations are. Though, that still happens no matter what.

I think how we do it works out pretty well, because it still lets us do the fun slightly frilly part of rush, but keeps it from being insane and super expensive...and really it keeps it from being a "who can spend the most and be the most impressive with stuff" competition.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

It's so interesting to read about schools where people seem to be making their decisions primarily based on what happens during rush.

The reputations of the groups (and who from your hometown is in which one) are so important at some schools that I think certain groups could not decorate at all and wear pajamas and still get ranked in the top three by 90% of the PNMs.* It's weird for me to imagine a school at which what the groups wore would really change how PNMs ranked them.

*Of course their conversations would still be charming because that's who they are.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 11-27-2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I used "some" too much
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Things like hometowns of members meant nothing at my school, since students came from all over the country to attend. With 7 sororities for about 300 PNMs, women will use all kinds of things to label each chapter, but I never heard geography mentioned as a consideration.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:15 AM

Hometowns meant nothing at my school either. Plus, combine my lack of geography skills with my lack of knowledge of cities/towns outside of SD and I didn't really care where the girl was from. I usually just asked to see if I could tie in info about other sisters. The good ole "You're from Calabassas? Megan is from Calabassas too!" I'd quickly switch to a lovely sisterhood story and avoid discussing Calabassas again.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not the towns themselves so much, as it is the type of people that you knew already who are in certain groups: did you go to the same private school, do your parents know each other, are you from the "right kind" of family.

If your school does have a national draw, it might break this down, but I get the feeling that even when kids go out of state in the south, it's still a pretty small network.

It's a little weird for 18 years olds, I admit.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 AM

I understand what you mean. Especially considering my first year as an alum I was helping with recruitment at the other chapter in the area. Megan's biological sister was going through rush and when the VPM saw Calabassas on the rush app she immediately made a comment about money.