GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,294
3 members and 1,291 guests
flamboyanttree, JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin

Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granipc View Post
" I have been asked time and again what sorority my daughter is rushing...like she holds the cards"

This always cracks me up! I often wonder if the people who ask that question either weren't involved in Greek life so really have no clue, or attended a school with fewer than 4 sororities... because really, how is this even a question???
Recruitment is billed as A MUTUAL SELECTION PROCESS.

It's not, really.

THE MATCHING PROCESS AT PREF IS MORE MUTUAL, but leading up to that, the balance of power tips sharply in the direction of the chapters. NOT THE PNMs.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
" I have been asked time and again what sorority my daughter is rushing...like she holds the cards"

This always cracks me up! I often wonder if the people who ask that question either weren't involved in Greek life so really have no clue, or attended a school with fewer than 4 sororities... because really, how is this even a question???
LOL! Yes, people with good intentions ask some of the silliest questions. This is a good one. Not to digress, but I am a mother of fraternal twins who happen to both be girls. I had a neighbor that had fraternal boy/girl twins. One of my favorite questions, along these lines, was when people asked her how she knew her twins weren't identical. We would just look at each other and howl!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

For discussion

Not trying to take anything away from tonight's festivities, but this article came out today in the Indiana Daily Student. Dramatic timing by IDS.

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019...identity-at-iu

From the article: "The board supports the original purpose of greek life to provide social connection, but sororities and fraternities have largely lost their identity on IU’s campus. Social fraternities and sororities are not inherently bad, but greek culture has developed into something very dangerous."

This is what makes me so sad. So much of what I valued and continue to value from my active days (way back in the day!) is being overshadowed - sisterhood, true friendship, philanthropic spirit, legacy - by the party component which we all know is a a fleeting bond at best.

The Greek system, not just at IU, is in need of a major PR campaign among other things. I am hopeful that things can change and try to keep my daughter at IU focused on what's important. I don't envy the National GLO's to-do lists!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I had a neighbor's daughter ask me for a rec a few years back--saying "Can I get a rec from you? I want to rush Tri Delt as a legacy!" Um, not really how that works, sweetie...she got the rec, but I had to explain some things!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The article is an editorial so that to me is one persons opinion on the topic. In Greek life, you are guilty by association so if one person in a chapter does something wrong, then everyone did something wrong. Not saying its right but its been that way since my Greek days in college.

I promise you the things that might go on in a Fraternity house or Sorority House are going on in the dorms as well but since those are individuals they just don't make the news. Its all part of being in the Greek family. We take our fair or unfair share of criticism.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrespearls View Post
Not trying to take anything away from tonight's festivities, but this article came out today in the Indiana Daily Student. Dramatic timing by IDS.

From the article: "The board supports the original purpose of greek life to provide social connection, but sororities and fraternities have largely lost their identity on IU’s campus. Social fraternities and sororities are not inherently bad, but greek culture has developed into something very dangerous."

This is what makes me so sad. So much of what I valued and continue to value from my active days (way back in the day!) is being overshadowed - sisterhood, true friendship, philanthropic spirit, legacy - by the party component which we all know is a a fleeting bond at best.

The Greek system, not just at IU, is in need of a major PR campaign among other things. I am hopeful that things can change and try to keep my daughter at IU focused on what's important. I don't envy the National GLO's to-do lists!
That's a bunch a crap written by those for the wussification of America. Greek life is a an easy target. But bad actions take place off campus too. Look at all the reports of assaults, drugs, drinking, etc. -- IU PD reports them every night. That is not to say the greeks don't need to clean up their act. They should be better than the average.

But it's the age group, not the organization. Go to the famous bar on Kirkwood one late night. It's 100x worse than any frat party I have been at.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
That's a bunch a crap written by those for the wussification of America. Greek life is a an easy target. But bad actions take place off campus too. Look at all the reports of assaults, drugs, drinking, etc. -- IU PD reports them every night. That is not to say the greeks don't need to clean up their act. They should be better than the average.

But it's the age group, not the organization. Go to the famous bar on Kirkwood one late night. It's 100x worse than any frat party I have been at.
So true! And that's what drives me crazy: they are held to high standards and are doing what so many others are doing. But that doesn't make it right. Agree they have to be better than average bc their chapter depends on it. Kind of like me telling my kids that what they do reflects our whole family.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
The article is an editorial so that to me is one persons opinion on the topic. In Greek life, you are guilty by association so if one person in a chapter does something wrong, then everyone did something wrong. Not saying its right but its been that way since my Greek days in college.

I promise you the things that might go on in a Fraternity house or Sorority House are going on in the dorms as well but since those are individuals they just don't make the news. Its all part of being in the Greek family. We take our fair or unfair share of criticism.
Sorry that we are taking this conversation completely off topic here, but someone did share the article below on the IU Parents FB page yesterday. I thought it made some interesting points about what we are seeing in our chapters across the country. Again, an editorial but more observations than opinions.

So much of what we did (back in the olden days) that made our Greek experiences special have been eliminated. So much of the focus is now on parties. This explains why it may be so...

https://doctorgentry.blogspot.com/20...9gYj0TwzN8QyHs
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Sorry that we are taking this conversation completely off topic here, but someone did share the article below on the IU Parents FB page yesterday. I thought it made some interesting points about what we are seeing in our chapters across the country. Again, an editorial but more observations than opinions.

So much of what we did (back in the olden days) that made our Greek experiences special have been eliminated. So much of the focus is now on parties. This explains why it may be so...

https://doctorgentry.blogspot.com/20...9gYj0TwzN8QyHs
Excellent article. It rings true on many levels. I didn't see that it was posted on the FB page or I wldn't have posted here. Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrespearls View Post

Yet another “multicultural all good, white people all bad” piece of tripe. Yawn. Next.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Pulling us back to the original topic. Any idea when the PNM's find out if they have a bid or not. I've not seen anything yet so curious if the calls have started. I know by this time last year my D had heard she had a bid. Also, does anyone know if the IDS has a person there to tweet the action like last year? Good luck to all.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Pulling us back to the original topic. Any idea when the PNM's find out if they have a bid or not. I've not seen anything yet so curious if the calls have started. I know by this time last year my D had heard she had a bid. Also, does anyone know if the IDS has a person there to tweet the action like last year? Good luck to all.
Yes, the calls have been coming. There is an active thread on the IU parents FB page about recruitment. Several people commented this afternoon that their D's got the call. It appears these were due to SIP.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Yes, the calls have been coming. There is an active thread on the IU parents FB page about recruitment. Several people commented this afternoon that their D's got the call. It appears these were due to SIP.
I hate that call. I sat with one of my chapter sisters long ago for moral support when she had to make a couple of those calls. It is hard on the Rho Gams, as well.

I hope the girls rebound and do something nice for themselves this evening. It's a hard night for some.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

My d texted about their bid list, thought it had 59 on it which I know is higher than last year, wonder if the extras are quota additions of natural increase due to the loss of one sorority.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My d texted about their bid list, thought it had 59 on it which I know is higher than last year, wonder if the extras are quota additions of natural increase due to the loss of one sorority.
Yes. Chapters are IU are no longer given the option of taking or declining quota additions. If there are quota additions, you will get them. IU is making change, slowly (like glacially), but it's change.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 01-15-2019 at 06:26 PM.