GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Lambda Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,055
1 members and 2,054 guests
John

Old 04-16-2004, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UNRULY_BETA_46
Cousins

I would like to say yes we are related, but not everybody does see that. I can say it is a very interesting thing, and its a good think if we all grew on what it is really about. I feel having us being related can help us become closer and grow bigger then ever. To state yes we are the most hated latin org in the country, when people see our letters they know that we bring pride, strength and repsect. Just like the Sigmas, and I will like our relationship to grow so we can see it on a bigger scale seen as cousins.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

To Unruly:

The reason why EVERYONE does not see our relationship is because it is not Nationally recognized. The probability of that happening is very slim. If members of your organization feel that the ideals of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. are so noble and worth emulation, then you should seek membership in Sigma instead of being an offshoot of it. Your suggestion that others should recognize our relationship to me is an insult to your own Fraternity, and a compliment to Sigma. Sigma Lambda Beta should pride itself on being an entity that is separate in its own ideals, mission and brotherhood, not a fraternity that is seeking recognition by members of an organization that barely knows of your existence and is quite content with the historic sacred bond that we Sigmas and Zetas have shared for decades.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UNRULY_BETA_46
LISTON; I posted that reply to the previous posting. I know its not nationally reconginized and I basically said it in dream type world ideal. I never said I hope it happens etc. I never said others should view it and reconginize it either way thats stupid to even imply. I said wouldnt it be great that a D-9 have relationship with a latino based org being we all have a common struggle and we all model ourselves to the D-9 way. Do not imply we look for a bond and to be apart of what PBS ZPB do. Thats false we do have a bond in some areas and its a shame you are not apart of it. Because divison does not create a key to understanding. My letters I got branded on my arm no way imply me being a knock off of anybody but a proud BETA man. ITs just to simply imply that if it did happen it could be a good thing.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If it is a good thing for the D9 to recognize the relationship, then evidently you do want it to be nationally acknowledged. Why is it a shame that I do not "share" in your bond? Im content with the family I have and it is the only one I will ever have. It is one thing to say that a Sigma was instrumental in your organization's founding, and you will always have a place in your heart for Sigma, but it is another thing to claim that there is a bond. When you do that you impose on Zeta. The Deltas do not claim to have a "bond" with AKAs do they?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are revive old threads??? It's really not that serious.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Since when can a COUSIN impose on a SISTER??????

I think I'm going to start calling LUL's my cousins so the AKA's can get mad.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Sens: Alphas have the liberty to claim anyone they want as family, since no one is bound to them. That's the beauty of it depending on how you look at it. If Alphas wanted to claim SGRhos because they share one color who could say anything? If you did call the LULs your cousins the AKAs really cannot get mad or should I say they do not have a legitimate reason to.
Its not about cousins vs sisters either. I guess it depends on how individuals in B & W perceive the strength of what we define as family, and im my own B&W opinion, I presume that if we can call anyone we want family then the purpose of constitutional bonding is defeated. That is all my dear.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

i was taught we dont have cousins, all i know are you sisters of Zeta Phi Beta
Old 05-20-2005, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dangerousKNIGHT
Cousins

I agree with blulady. Many organizations, including Latino Greeks can claim loyalties with other orgs, but it kind of defeats the purpose of constitutional bindings. I wasn't aware that SLG and SLB aren't constitutionally bound, until I saw it mentioned on this post. Any Betas or Gammas who can clarify?

I know our organization was founded almost jointly with KDChi, but we are not official. I just find it interesting to see the LatinoGreeks growing up with some of the same similarities as the NPHC's in terms of traditions and allegiencies.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wrussell Send a message via Yahoo to wrussell
Re: Cousins

Quote:
Originally posted by dangerousKNIGHT
I agree with blulady. Many organizations, including Latino Greeks can claim loyalties with other orgs, but it kind of defeats the purpose of constitutional bindings. I wasn't aware that SLG and SLB aren't constitutionally bound, until I saw it mentioned on this post. Any Betas or Gammas who can clarify?

I know our organization was founded almost jointly with KDChi, but we are not official. I just find it interesting to see the LatinoGreeks growing up with some of the same similarities as the NPHC's in terms of traditions and allegiencies.
The claim of loyalities to me isn't a disrespect to constitutionally bindings. I see them as a respect, with that orgs (or single person, whatever) help we wounldn't be here.

Most culturally based organization follow D-9 tactics, because they are more closer to the ideals and the stuggles of that of African Americans.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Im sorry,

I am reading these postings and I have to disagree with my own blue and white family. Down here in Texas we uphold our relationship to the F.I.R.M. family and I do not think it is disrespectful no matter how you look at it. Actually I think it is ludacris to even suggest that it is disrespectful. I think our cousin relationship with SLG and SLB makes us even more unique than any other black NPHC organization. If a Sigma helped start SLB then I think there is a relationship there because he was branching out to a fellow minority group and wanted to step outside of this small box greeks always find themselves in. Even though it is not nationally recognized or even constitutional doesn't mean we can't uphold it and no ones asking you to do it...but to make such a statement as it being disrespectful, has no weight or bearing whatsoever. Of course you wont find many Latinos joining our organizations because even though we are open to other races we are still predominantly black organizations and they have their own issues which they need to relate with each other. I dont care what anyone says I love SLB, SLG, and my Sigma bruhs...we consider ourselves the true Royal Family. Just think about it, its just like a real family with brothers and sisters...we have cousins too. We have our immediate family (Zetas and Sigmas) and they are part of our extended family...that don't mean they know everything that goes on at home...but when shit hits the fan they got our backs. I basically feel that everyone will do what they want to do but I just dont think we should be calling it disrespectful because I or anyone else chooses to uphold that relationship.

Oh and to my COUSIN unruly_beta_46 you got mad luv from me and a whole lot of Blue and White in Texas!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 AM
GreekChat Member

History Lesson for all the haters..

Aight, aight.. So we got some ppl in the blue and white family making a big fuss of things.. Well let me break it down for some of ya'll..

I'll call it Royal Family 101.. 3 credit course, Professor "#86".

1- Baltazar Mendoza Madrigal IS a Sigma AND a LAMBDA BETA
2- No, we're not officially recognized as cousins. But then again, SLB and SLG arent really brothers and sisters.
3- We arent trying to be a copy of blue and white, we're doing our own thing. Now before you take this the wrong way, i got mad respect for all of you, but thats just how it is.

With that said, i will explain.

1: Founding Father Baltazar crossed Sigma and saw the great service PBS was doing for the advancement of the African American community; as time progressed he saw a need of an organization that could do the same for the Latino community. He then went to the national board of PBS and asked for permission to found his own organization with similar goals and aspirations geared towards the Latino community. They GRANTED him that opportunity. Therefore, he DIDN'T have to drop his PBS letters. Along with that, if he crossed PBS then he obviously knows the PBS process... Makes sense right?.. So, SLB and PBS process is bound to have MANY similarities.. HENCE, we are cousins not only by ideals, and goals; but by hardships and triumphs as well. And yes, i mean ALL hardships.. errrrrrripp!

2- SLB and SLG are not officially related but do share many similarities. SLG was founded from a group of women that were originally known as the "Lambda Ladies". At the risk of considering SLB a co-ed fraternity, SLB brothers quickly helped the "Lambda Ladies" establish their own organization. Yes, SLG ladies.. This is TRUE!! So dont tell me I'm wrong b/c I've spoken to the men face to face that helped found SLG. Hence, SLG (some chapters) have SOME similarities to that of SLB, which in turn are similarities with PBS... and I'm sure meaning similarities with ZFB.

3- And finally... WE AINT TRYIN TO BE YOU!! I'm sorry to sound rude, but the haters need to understand. If we wanted to be u we would have pledged PBS or Zeta. Now, I'm cool with all Sigmas and Zetas I know. We support each others events and have a good relationship. So why the royal family? C'mon now, blue and purple?? Both royal colors, makes sense right?? Sure does. Feel free to copy and paste this quick and short history lesson, to inform all of those that were not "educated" properly.

All in all.. Can't we all just get along!! damn!

Peace, i'm out!