GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,680
2 members and 1,678 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

npc expansion

So here's a little bit of background. We have 4 NPC sororities at my school and two separate groups of girls looking to expand and bring more organizations to campus. PHC reps were told to go to their organizations to see how they felt about expansion regardless of the girls interested and what organizations they want to bring here [just to consider quota, total, etc]. After this, the PHC reps voted, and two organizations said yes while the other two said no.

I'm aware of the schedule, procedures and policy of NPC expansion, but our campus puts their rules before those of NPC. We are going to look at our constitution to see what to do of course, but it made me curious to see if anyone knew off the top of their head how they would handle a tie on their campus.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think in the event of a tie, that administration would be the ultimate decider. Since it will affect student life, normally following group votes, they are the final decision.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact happenings; however, when my campus voted on expansion, I believe the final decision was up to the Greek Life/Student Life/Administration. Of course for us, the group vote was merely political, administration had already decided they wanted to expand.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Now by "PHC reps" do you mean the Panhellenic delegates? It's not really the delegates' decision, but that of your sorority's NPC Delegate (with some input from your chapter). I would think you would need a majority to allow another group to come. Do the interest groups want to affiliate with Panhellenic as local sororities or affiliate with an NPC sorority (and with Panhellenic)?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Now by "PHC reps" do you mean the Panhellenic delegates? It's not really the delegates' decision, but that of your sorority's NPC Delegate (with some input from your chapter).
Weeeeeellll, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that from sorority to sorority, the degree of input from those two corners may vary.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you need an expansion, or are you just discussing it because these two orgs want to join Panhellenic ?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Weeeeeellll, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that from sorority to sorority, the degree of input from those two corners may vary.
Weeeeeellllll, at the very least the collegiate panhellenic delegate should contact her NPC delegate or Inter/national HQ for guidance and input.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Weeeeeellllll, at the very least the collegiate panhellenic delegate should contact her NPC delegate or Inter/national HQ for guidance and input.
That's what I'm saying - there's a big difference between "input" and flat out telling the chapter Panhellenic delegate how she should vote. From what I've surmised from hearing expansion stories (on here and elsewhere), some groups are at one end and some groups are at the other.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

If a vote results in a tie, the motion fails. NPC sororities are to contact their NPC Delegates for guidance on the vote for expansion. Collegiate chapters are also supposed to vote on the measure before the vote is brought up in the Panhellenic meeting. The Chapter Delegate should vote however her chapter votes. The suggestions of the NPC Delegate should be reviewed in the chapter meeting to guide the chapter in voting.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Now by "PHC reps" do you mean the Panhellenic delegates? It's not really the delegates' decision, but that of your sorority's NPC Delegate (with some input from your chapter). I would think you would need a majority to allow another group to come. Do the interest groups want to affiliate with Panhellenic as local sororities or affiliate with an NPC sorority (and with Panhellenic)?
Our PHC is actually ONLY NPC groups; our campus does not permit local sororities. So technically speaking, they are the NPC reps from each org. From what I understand, each rep brought it to their orgs, they took a vote and the outcome of the vote reflected the reps' decisions. One chapter actually contacted their national office, and they told them they had to vote no.

The groups would be NPC orgs and would not be allowed to continue with the process of becoming a local should NPC expansion not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter650 View Post
Do you need an expansion, or are you just discussing it because these two orgs want to join Panhellenic ?
In the opinion of two orgs, we do not *need* expansion. Orgs have consistently had trouble reaching total, and quota does not call for another organization.

From what has been hinted to us, it is that no matter what our vote turned out to be, the Director of Student Activities has the final say. If we voted no, she could very well override it and say yes. It's a little discouraging to say it's up to us, and then someone else [who is not at all active in the Greek department] makes their own decision. Although our NPC adviser mentioned that if the orgs selected to present were made aware of this, they would side with the decision of NPC. Not sure about that, anyone know?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Your place to get the best answer would be to contact your National NPC delegate, she can tell you for certain.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Your place to get the best answer would be to contact your National NPC delegate, she can tell you for certain.
Perhaps. She's been in contact with us lately regarding spiffing up recruitment, but she hasn't mentioned anything about this. I was under the impression that the individual national orgs would choose whether or not to present depending on what campus NPC voted, despite a Student Life Director inviting them.

Last edited by luv n tpa; 12-04-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 PM

I've participated in an expansion vote as my chapter's Panhel rep. IIRC, declaring the campus open for expansion would have required a majority vote. So if you have two yes votes and two no votes, that's not a majority and your campus is not open for expansion.

It's not solely the rep's decision how to vote. As rep, I went back to my chapter with the expansion proposal, and we decided as a chapter how to vote. I don't recall if we consulted anyone on the national/regional level (it was a long time ago).

It's unfortunate that your campus doesn't allow local sororities... my first thought was to suggest that each group formally organize as a local and become an associate member of your CPH. Maybe the best thing is to tell the groups, "sorry, we're not open for NPC expansion, but ask us again in a few months / a year / etc". In the meantime, maybe each group can become some sort of women's club or something... but that's their problem, not yours.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv n tpa View Post
In the opinion of two orgs, we do not *need* expansion. Orgs have consistently had trouble reaching total, and quota does not call for another organization.

From what has been hinted to us, it is that no matter what our vote turned out to be, the Director of Student Activities has the final say. If we voted no, she could very well override it and say yes. It's a little discouraging to say it's up to us, and then someone else [who is not at all active in the Greek department] makes their own decision. Although our NPC adviser mentioned that if the orgs selected to present were made aware of this, they would side with the decision of NPC. Not sure about that, anyone know?
I would think that the orgs to present should be made aware of everything you mentioned - it was a tie vote, tie broken by someone who is not knowledgeable in Greek life, the groups that are there can't get to total. Even if the school doesn't tell them that expressly, they'll hear it through the grapevine.

After knowing all that, I don't think any group's decision would be a question of "siding" with NPC - it would just be common sense. It doesn't sound like a good opportunity. Nothing against your campus, it just seems that the climate right now isn't good for colonizing another NPC group.

Are the two groups of girls women who have previously gone through rush, or are they the kind who are saying "we have something wonderful and different" without checking what's there to begin with? Would they be amenable to a national social/professional or social/service sorority?

Last edited by 33girl; 12-04-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Are the two groups of girls women who have previously gone through rush, or are they the kind who are saying "we have something wonderful and different" without checking what's there to begin with? Would they be amenable to a national social/professional or social/service sorority?

One group was brought to our attention during the middle of fall [informal] recruitment. The Greek Director had told the girls in that group that they should go through recruitment first to make sure that they know what's already in place isn't for them. Out of about 30 girls at that time, 4 rushed that semester [and either they dropped or weren't bid]. We checked the list and none of the other names appeared to be familiar from previous semesters.

Group two came about after girls ended up not receiving bids this semester. If you've seen my post in the weird rush story thread, the leader of this group is the "let's make this happen" girl. Her and her friend, instead of joining up with the existing group of girls, rallied up the girls who didn't get bids and proceeded to start her own form of recruitment with a facebook group [including freshmen who have not been allowed to rush yet and others who have not gone through recruitment].

Each group of girls has about 50 on their respective lists [which is total]. They actually decided who they were "going to be." We quickly squashed that and told them it's a big no-no if they ever hoped to get the ball rolling.

I'm not sure about how they feel about being non-NPC. It seems to be pretty much all or nothing to them. They have a mindset of competition against each other to see which group will be permitted to go on with expansion, if it happens. "Let's make this happen" is in the Greek Director's office at least twice a week nagging her about when she'll know which organization they'll be allowed to become.

Last edited by luv n tpa; 12-04-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 PM

I just read those posts and literally LOLed.

The only thing this girl seems to be making "happen" is annoying everyone within a 500 yard radius.