GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,310
0 members and 2,310 guests
No Members online

Old 01-06-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing with small numbers

Spring rush is comming up faster then ever. My sorority is the smallest at my school with about 15 active members. During Formal rush we will be losing two girls as rho chi's. I was wondering of anybody had any ideas as to how we could wow girls on the first night to compete with the other houses who have much bigger numbers. thanks for your help
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2002, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Another chapter allowed to help?

I don't know if you are allowed to do this, but I think that some GLO's are permitted to have sisters from other schools rush along side the smaller school's chapter. I'm not sure if alumnae would be allowed to...
Old 01-06-2002, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Because of your situation, I might suggest speaking with the Panhellenic about 2 possible options:

1) not having to provide 2 Recruitment Counsellors

2) or have recent alumnae fill in the Recruitment Counsellor positions for current members.

3) If there is a policy limiting outside help, ask if this may be waived because of your situation. You will need to clear that you will identify these 'helpers' as not being from your campus so PNM's are not confused.

4) ***Get your recent grads back to help out as well as local alumnae! ***

Hopefully, your Panhellenic will be very supportive to your group having a strong recruitment, and that you need all your members to be part of it.

As well, work with your Chapter Advisor and regional-type supervisor for your chapter to ask other chapters nearby to come and help - I have known sisters that have driven 5 hours because they wanted to support a chapter and help them recruit!

Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2002, 09:52 PM

My sorority always had very small numbers relative to the other sororities on campus. This is because we started as a local, and were still very small when we went AEPhi. We're growing now though

During rush, we only had to supply 1 Rho Chi whereas the other sororities had to supply 4 each. We also got incorporated into our rush rules, that alumnae are allowed to participate actively in rush for any group below a certain size. (This is only fair as the smallest group on campus has to hold rush in the smallest room available, which is cozy to say the least!)

HTH
Old 01-06-2002, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter had the same problem this year. So myself and a few other recent alum came dressed for the themes, just to make it look like more people. We tried not to talk to rushees too much, but we did if it was necessary. Our panhel allows it (as well as sisters from other chapters) as long as it is clearly marked on the name tag. Just one note of caution, one sorority had another chapter come in for 12 rounds and all the rushees loved the girls, but then 8 rounds came and the other chapter wasn't there, so it didn't fool the rushees one bit and many of the rushees cut them after that. Try not to focus on having few numbers, focus on the fact that you are "rebuilding" and looking for a great nm class to help lead the house. In my experience it is all about a positive attitude! Good luck!
Old 01-06-2002, 11:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
NPC allows for you to have other chapters and alums present for your recruitment, but you must be VERY clear that those folks aren't active members of your group via their nametags and such. While this may seem misleading, having other chapters come also promotes you as a national organization, and how you have other sisters all over the place. You need to focus on these benefits, along with the opportunities that are available for leadership and to make a difference with your smaller chapter.

Also, some groups decide NOT to participate in formal recruitment, and instead, have their own informal recruitment after the formal recruitment period. I don't know how well this works, but I have heard it takes the pressure off of the smaller chapter.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2002, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your ideas. We are the only chapter of our sorority still in existence so this is do or die for us. We are inviting alumnae up, and it makes me feel good that people suggested it..I feel we are at least on the right track with something. As for teh Rho Chi's we were supposed to send three and we were able to cut it to two. The active sisters and rho chi's felt that it was unfair to have only one girl disaffiliate because on our campus it is a big commitment. One thing that I do want to promote is that being smaller is not necessarily a downfall. If anybody has any ideas about how to go about that for PR we are open to them. Again thank you for all of your help
Old 01-08-2002, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Like I said, make sure that you spin it well...stress that there are many opportunities in the house. Some things we have tried or though about doing are....
papering desks early in the morning....you place a small flier on each desk and hopefully someone sees it and takes it with them...My suggestion if you do this is to target mostly freshmen classes. That's how it is most effective.
We also though about making door hangers for the dorms.
When we didn't have funs we made something simple that we used our excessive print quota for! Be resourceful!
Also, I don't know how big your campus is, but transfer students are always an untapped resource and are often ignored.
Funny rush posters always stuck out in my mind..nothing too absurd, but something catchy or humorous. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2002, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
lyly--

I think you would want to promote your organization as a growing one. Make sure women are aware of all of the opportunities in leadership that are available by joining your sorority. Many woman want to join a sorority and make a difference within that group, and your sorority provides that opportunity perfectly.

Inviting your alumnae is a great idea, and one which I think will work, because it shows that while you're small, you stick together and it's not just about membership in college but membership after college as well. Focus on that as well

One note: Morale has to be your number one priority. If you all go into recruitment with the "we're the smallest on campus" and "we can't compete with big sororities" you are doomed to fail. You have to stay psyched about your chapter, and most of all, motivate your members to be as psyched as you are. PNMs can sense lack of confidence in chapters so easily, and it's something that will drive them away.

I wish you the best
Old 01-08-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

lyly-

Several sisters from my chapter helped out a local chapter with low numbers this fall. Like others have mentioned, it was clearly stated on our nametags that we were from another chapter, and when we talked to PMs we were always with a sister from that chapter, and althought we could not necessarily talk about specifics of that chapter (since we didn't know any) we did talk about our organization and the bonds we have with sisters from other chapters. I see that you're the only chapter left so this would not work for you, but you could invite alumnae and discuss how strong of a bond you have with them and how devotion to your organization lasts well beyond college. If you can and choose to do this, start contacting alumnae now so they can plan on coming back and you can have maximum participation.

Try to "camoflauge" (but not deceive) the fact that you are a small chapter. If PMs ask for numbers, give them an estimate (not too far off though!). Also, when we visited that other chapter, each house did a little "song" for the PMs up at the front of the room in the middle of the party. If you have anything similar to this, try to make it look like you have as many members as possible. When the house next door takes up the entire front of the room and your chapter only fills the center, it will be very apparent that your chapter is smaller.

Another option which shadokat touched on was to wait until after formal is over to do COB events. Your organization could have an informational round the first round of recruitment where you discuss your organization and what it stands for and what you're looking for in new members. This could be beneficial for women who may drop out of recruitment because they're frustrated with the process etc., as they will have an idea of what your organization stand for and know there is an opportunity to come back to meet your sisters. You can put on a slide show and display various paraphernalia in the room, and just do a basic informational session about your organization.

Finally, even if you don't clean up during this recruitment, keep advertising your house throughout the semester. Advertise a COB type event (where bids are not extended) later in the semester that gives PMs going through recruitment next semester an opportunity to meet your sisters in a more casual atmosphere. This will give them the chance to know you before they're coming through, and may also start a buzz on campus when one PM who met you tells her friend that XYZ is an awesome house.

whew, a long one, but I hope some of it helps! Good luck with recruitment this semester!

Last edited by Lil' Hannah; 01-08-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
We had small numbers and national came in and helped. We had more pledges in that one semester than we had had in three previous semesters combined. The following year we doubled that number. Unfortunately, you don't have a national, but I will share some ideas. Plan on having COB as was mentioned earlier. Invite friends, roommates, women in the dorms, dining halls, classes, at jobs, and in student clubs. If you and your sisters each invite six women to participate in rush, that's 90 potential new sisters. Even if only one third pledge, that's 30! That's what my sorority did, and we were very successful. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2002, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Try using the "cluster-bump" rotation method. Our chapter is small, and this is a good way to really fill up the room and make it look like there is a lot of activity going on!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your ideas. Moxiegrrl, what exactly is the cluster-bump rotation method? This sounds like something we may be able to use?
Old 01-09-2002, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, the memories. My college chapter averaged 20-25 members as opposed to 40 and up for the other two sororities on campus. Here are some tricks:

1) Cluster-bump rotation is a great idea. Give everyone a number: one, two, or three. Each girl picks up a rushee and goes to her circle (after getting food, of course) with the other number ones (or 2's or 3's). One person is assigned to be the first person to leave the cluster, and go over to the #2 group. When she arrives, 1 or 2 people from the number two group politely break off their conversation and go to group three. One or two people from group three go over to group one, and so on. As long as you don't do this too fast or obvious, it works very well.

2) Alums. Yes. Great idea. We always had local alums at our rush parties, and it really impressed the rushees. I think it was their first glimpse at the idea that sororities are for life.

3) We didn't have a house. If you are in the same boat, pick the smallest place on campus to have your rush parties. Fewer people take up more space, and the organization looks bigger.

4) If formal rush doesn't go well, talk to your PHC about the other groups opting out of informal rush. We had one completely disastrous year at formal rush (yes, that's EXACTLY what happened), and the other two groups decided to skip informal rush for the rest of the year.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lilsnakeyk
lyly-

my chapter was in the same boat a few years ago. Here are a few ideas to make the transition smoother.

1) cluster bump- works like a charm. (It's explained in other reply's)

2) Sisters from other chapters and alums- we always explained that by using something to the effect of that all of chapters and alumnae love helping each other out in anyway possible.

3) ***Same shirts, different colors***- especially on day one, we all wear the same shirt (usually like an express metro-tee) embroidered with our letters, and each girl gets to choose one of three different colors. It creates an optical illusion and makes it look like there are a lot more sisters there than there really are.

Good Luck-

Lil Snakey K