GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,649
2 members and 1,647 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

different panhellenics set quota at different times thruout the recruitment week. i do not know when fsu sets quota.

discreetly ask your hostess if members can make monthly payments, or if the entire payment is due at the beginning of the semester.

i am not going to lie to you-as a sophomore with no recs. you will have a difficult time . i do wish you the best of luck !
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Is there an upper class man quota at FSU???
No

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
To my knowledge, there is not. Sophomores can get bids there, but they have to be pretty stellar. It's a school with more of a preference for freshmen.

For fsu322: We have another FSU thread going right now as well:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=106740
In this thread there is a link to the Tomahawk magazine which has recommended dress for each day of Recruitment as well as financial info. That info does not include things like: party favors, gifts, 'required' attendance at some sorority sponsored events, etc. Those costs add up very quickly, so keep that in mind, too. On a positive note, all NPC sororities have scholarship programs and you should apply for one when/if you become eligible.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I am almost certain that most of the sororities at FSU will have a payment plan. However, you must remember that the dues are per semester so you will have from August/Sept. through early Dec. to make payment in full in the best case scenario.

Also, I just want to say something here....FSUZeta is correct in that it will be more difficult for you to get a bid as a soph. However, it is not impossible. In fact, a few chapters at FSU wll cut you because you are not a freshman, but there are many outstanding chapters there that have taken not only sophomores but juniors in the past 2 years.

I have read posts here, on a frequent basis, telling Florida girls that it is next to impossible to get a bid after freshman year at FSU, UF, and UCF. That might be true in some places, and sophomore and junior pnms at those places should all just give it up, perhaps. That is simply not true here in Florida. I have told active FSU and UF sorority girls about PNM's coming here and getting discouraging advice and they just widened their eyes and said that it is just not necessarily true in Florida.

Is it tougher? Probably. So tough that you should just give it up? Not at all.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteflyersmom View Post
I am almost certain that most of the sororities at FSU will have a payment plan. However, you must remember that the dues are per semester so you will have from August/Sept. through early Dec. to make payment in full in the best case scenario.

Also, I just want to say something here....FSUZeta is correct in that it will be more difficult for you to get a bid as a soph. However, it is not impossible. In fact, a few chapters at FSU wll cut you because you are not a freshman, but there are many outstanding chapters there that have taken not only sophomores but juniors in the past 2 years.

I have read posts here, on a frequent basis, telling Florida girls that it is next to impossible to get a bid after freshman year at FSU, UF, and UCF. That might be true in some places, and sophomore and junior pnms at those places should all just give it up, perhaps. That is simply not true here in Florida. I have told active FSU and UF sorority girls about PNM's coming here and getting discouraging advice and they just widened their eyes and said that it is just not necessarily true in Florida.

Is it tougher? Probably. So tough that you should just give it up? Not at all.
This is very true.

It's probably not impossible.

I will say though that a sophomore or junior is going to have to be open-minded.

If you're an upperclassman, you're probably going to have a hard time if you only want to be in certain chapters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu322 View Post
...plus i dont have any recs...
This jumped out at me. Are recs necessary at FSU?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is very true.

It's probably not impossible.

I will say though that a sophomore or junior is going to have to be open-minded.

If you're an upperclassman, you're probably going to have a hard time if you only want to be in certain chapters.

YES!

There are more than a few chapters at FSU, UF, and UCF that are great....and will take sophomores and junior. The thing to remember is that these schools (esp. UF and FSU) have so many chapters that offer a great experience.

However, if one goes in with the "I will only be an XYZ because they were featured as the prettiest group in Playboy" (yes, it happened according to one FSU sister) or " The LMN's are the best and since I am the best that is the group for me" attitude as a soph. or junior, then yes- give it up. Hope that made sense, lol.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a friend who rushed last year at FSU as a sophomore. She actually had the max number of houses each day, and even had to cut one on a few rounds. She went to pref, and got her 1st choice. With that said though, that is RARE at a huge school like FSU, but I just wanted to show you it is possible. Good luck next week!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

do you know if she had any recs?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

kiteflyersmom-the young lady in question, fsu322, is a sophomore rushing without any recommendations. that puts a whole nother spin on the situation.

fsu322, at this late date you have 2 best choices in my opinion 1) try to round up as many recommendations at the last minute as you can or 2) just go thru the process and present yourself in the best possible way, be open to ANY invitations and accept all invitations.

hopefully, you have great grades and have gotten involved on campus in an organization or two and have done some volunteer work. the most recent girls i have known who rushed or re-rushed successfully as sophomores had great personalities, were pretty, had gotten involved in campus organizations(homecoming committees and dance marathon), did some volunteer work and both were deans list students. one got her top choice and the other got her 2nd choice, which, as i understand it now she cannot believe that she did not list first!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-13-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to the PNMs going through recruitment starting tomorrow!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly I am not sure if she had any recs or not. Good luck tomorrow though! Hope it does not rain too much