GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,398
2 members and 1,396 guests
Titchou

Old 03-22-2004, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DietCoke43
Originally posted by starang21
last post...

look at james moderating...good shit.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDKatie318
I'm not a big poster as you can see, but as a Greek college student in Georgia this issue has hit close to home for me. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this article, I tried to read all 20 pages of posts, but I just don't have time. Anyways, I found this very interesting:

"In Oct. 1992, the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity (Pikes) and the Fashion Board enraged black students by pretending to have large lips, padding their buttocks, wearing Afro wigs and painting their faces black at a ''Party in the Projects.'' Photos also showed two white students dressed as blacks kneeling at the feet of a purported Ku Klux Klan grand dragon.

Black Student Association member Sonya Myles said then: ''It was totally atrocious. In my opinion, with people praising the Grand Dragon - that is justification for them being thrown off the campus completely."

A disciplinary committee penalized both groups. But the groups appealed, arguing they were expressing their free speech rights. They won the appeal."

So it looks like something similar has happened to another Pike chapter before and they escaped trouble. I have a feeling this time will turn out the same. Too bad current college students were unable to hear about and learn from previous mistakes since people that are seniors in college now were about 10 when this happened.

Also, while I think what the Pikes did is ignorant and distasteful, I think the flyers that the Black Student Alliance posted at GSU were equally ignorant and distasteful which makes it hard for me to take their organization seriously.

P.S. I really wouldn't be offended if black students wanted to dress up as rednecks, paint their faces white, and have a hoedown social. Maybe I'm just not as easily offended, but it really wouldn't bother me. I thought a social was supposed to be fun, not so politically correct... But that's just my little, measly opinion, don't let that offend you.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by Colonist
Christ go find something else to bitch about, try to bring affirmative action fully back or some other crap, stop talking crap about a group of college kids having fun and making a simple mistake.

Honestly, people like you who bitch this much over the tiniest things MAKE some people bigots.

Oh! I had to respond to this one! My mother recently told me that I was "making" her a racist because of my views. When she asks me a question or engages me in a discussion, obviously, I'll be speaking from my own point of view. Then, when she doesn't like what I have to say, she says I'm just trying to be PC and that I'm turning her racist. I don't buy it!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDKatie318
Also, while I think what the Pikes did is ignorant and distasteful, I think the flyers that the Black Student Alliance posted at GSU were equally ignorant and distasteful which makes it hard for me to take their organization seriously.
GSU approved those flyers!! That was completely inappropriate. The Sigmas and the Pikes were already handling the situation...I really think the school was trying to undermine the Greek System, because the flyers came out right before the Greek Leadership Conference. Hmmmm...all the GLOs presidents were at a disadvantage during this time, since most of them didn't even know about the full situation UNTIL the flyers came out! How horrible is that????

Old 03-23-2004, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
You know, someone could have said this already, but I don't feel like reading all 20+ pages....I have a life . Anyway, did anyone even think that maybe some people don't know what Blackface is? I'm taking a class right now, African Americans in Mass Media, and there are many people (Whites and Blacks) that don't know about the racism behind it. I knew some, but the information I found out was mind blowing. So, if you are interested in educating yourself try reading "African American Viewers and the Black Situation Comedy: Situating Racial Humor." It talks about the racism in Blackface and where those images come up in our current media.

Just my view on things.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhirlwindTNX
You know, someone could have said this already, but I don't feel like reading all 20+ pages....I have a life . Anyway, did anyone even think that maybe some people don't know what Blackface is? I'm taking a class right now, African Americans in Mass Media, and there are many people (Whites and Blacks) that don't know about the racism behind it. I knew some, but the information I found out was mind blowing. So, if you are interested in educating yourself try reading "African American Viewers and the Black Situation Comedy: Situating Racial Humor." It talks about the racism in Blackface and where those images come up in our current media.

Just my view on things.
Theta Nu, Soror! I actually posted some information on blackface for GCers, but you are absolutely correct that many people in the U.S. don't know the history. BUT, I would think that a fraternity that has had problems already with "race related" incidents (two of which have been posted in this thread) would be more careful about the way their brothers were representing.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
Theta Nu, Soror! I actually posted some information on blackface for GCers, but you are absolutely correct that many people in the U.S. don't know the history. BUT, I would think that a fraternity that has had problems already with "race related" incidents (two of which have been posted in this thread) would be more careful about the way their brothers were representing.
This makes me wonder if their HQ has even said anything about these incedents.
Their fraternity has already had problems like this in the past. You'd think that their HQ would send something out to every chapter saying this kidn of behaviour is unexceptable, if any members/chapters are involved in something like harsh punishments will be handed out.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
Seriously? Think about what you're suggesting here.

I don't care what race, color, creed you are -- college student organizations don't usually put a whole lot of thought into racial relations. Bottom line is that these guys are in this organization to have a good time, enjoy their brotherhood and eventually graduate. Race relations, even public relations is waaaaay down on the list.

I saw someone post somewhere on page 21 that they were surprised that these guys didn't know about the chapter at GSU that had a similar incedent in 1992. How many of us know anything about what any chapter in our respective organizations did (besides our own chapter) in 1992? That, I think is another unrealistic expectation.

The way many of us see the situation, offended individuals have overreacted to something that they find symbolically offensive. Individuals in this very thread have suggested that the national organization pull these guys' charter. How would you like your own organization raked over the coals by an anti-greek administration as well as certain 'offended' student groups because two members showed a lack of judgement and unwittingly participated in offensive symbolic speach? Remember: No one was killed, maimed or otherwise physically effected.

I don't think that you'll get much of an argument that what these guys did displayed a lack of judgement. It offended some people, so maybe they should apologize. However, I also believe that the group that posted the flyers, as well as the administration owe the men of Pi Kappa Alpha an apology for their equally irresponsible and offensive use of their right to free expression.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-24-2004, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

WOW, ktsnake, may I give kuddos to you for a very insightfull posting!

So, the question can be turned around the other way! Is there not or can be racisim in reverse?

Do I for one get so tired about hearing about Racisiusm, yes I do! Why you may ask? For the very Reason That My Brother Rodney is Black, and I feel as does He That We are very Close to each other alone with all of the Brothers of My Chapter!

# 1, He is a viable member of The Chapter as an Alum.

#2, He is A Brother Of My Chapter.

Now, My Question is again, who is the Racist here?

Those that profess it or those that truely beleive it as some so state!?

You that profess it are Racist, or not all of the people that dont beleive in your idilology!

So what they in your mind was wrong maybe was not the intent. Get off of the Horse.! Pleeze!

Some are not the saviour of the World, are you???

Question, do not the Divine 9 not do stupid things that are not looked upon as proper?

Do we not as All Greeks do stupid and idiodic things at a young age?

Do We not all hold Our Respective Organizations in High esteem for the Beleifs that we have?

I am tired of the Black / White Bullshit, you whip the dog to many times

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-24-2004, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDKatie318
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I saw someone post somewhere on page 21 that they were surprised that these guys didn't know about the chapter at GSU that had a similar incedent in 1992. How many of us know anything about what any chapter in our respective organizations did (besides our own chapter) in 1992? That, I think is another unrealistic expectation.
Hey I posted the article from 1992 and I just wanted to let you know it was not about the Pike chapter at GSU, it was the Pike chapter at Texas Tech. Also, I hope you did not misinterpret what I said. I meant that it was silly for us to think that current Pikes now would know about past events since they were only about 10 years old in 1992 and probably not too into Greek happenings back then!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ATOSchlitz
Ok, this may come out as offensive, but so what. People are getting pissed off over painted faces? Are you kidding me? Did noone hear about the incident at Ole Miss? Or the incident at LSU. Its all in good fun. I highly doubt these kids went out and did this as an act of racial malice.