GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,356
2 members and 1,354 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 07-15-2011, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush week at WSU

Hi everyone! I'm going to be a freshman this fall at Washington State University and just registered for Rush week. I'm new to the Greek world and am in need of some advice/info!
First of all, does anyone know if WSU is considered competitive when it comes to greek life (hard to get into)?
Also i've read that letters of a recommendations are a good idea, would it help if I had my Aunt write a letter of rec for me? She was in Alpha Phi which makes me a legacy to that chapter. Or would it not really make that much of a difference?
I really would like to talk to someone who knows especially about the greek life at wsu, i've heard most girls join a sorority after rush but i'm still nervous!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

lcrews5 - I pm'd you but not sure it went through. If it didn't let me know and I will resend the message.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrews5 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm going to be a freshman this fall at Washington State University and just registered for Rush week. I'm new to the Greek world and am in need of some advice/info!
First of all, does anyone know if WSU is considered competitive when it comes to greek life (hard to get into)?
Also i've read that letters of a recommendations are a good idea, would it help if I had my Aunt write a letter of rec for me? She was in Alpha Phi which makes me a legacy to that chapter. Or would it not really make that much of a difference?
I really would like to talk to someone who knows especially about the greek life at wsu, i've heard most girls join a sorority after rush but i'm still nervous!
About recommendations: a rec from your aunt would almost certainly help.

Please note, though, that for Alpha Phi the aunt-niece relationship is not a "legacy" relationship. See:

http://www.alphaphi.org/resources/ge...yandreferences

"A. Definition

A legacy is any granddaughter, daughter, stepdaughter, sister or stepsister of an initiated Alpha Phi member. "

Your aunt may know women who are members of other sororities that have chapters at WSU. She might be able to give you some leads that could help you get recs.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello, I am also going to be a freshmen at Washington State University this fall and am rushing! My question is the same as yours (Is it difficult), but I was also wondering if someone could explain the process (how many days/how it works), suggest outfits, and give any insight as to the reputation of any of the houses?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM

The whens/whats and clothing suggestions can be found at this link.

http://www.wsupanhellenic.com/page.p...page_id=120132

Chapter reputations are not discussed on Greek Chat. The best chapter is the chapter that is the best fit for YOU.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much that was so helpful!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

The importance of recommendations ("rec") varies from chapter to chapter, school to school.
My university publicly tells girls "don't worry about getting recommendations, the chapters will find recommendations for you".. which in my chapter's case, is COMPLETELY false! If we don't have a rec for a girl, she will be cut after the first day of rush. Which is so unfair, but it shouldn't be taken personally--we have a ton of girls going through rush each year and we have recs for most of them.
Now does that mean recs secure girls a second round party invite? Sadly, no.

Again, it depends on how the chapters at WSU prepare for rush. We spend all summer going through the rush papers, looking over girls' resumes, GPAs, and involvement.

As for what to expect during rush at WSU, try asking someone who is greek there now because it differs from school to school. Most schools also put out a recruitment booklet that has suggestions for "what to wear" etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

112 – I’m pm’d the original OP some of this, but I’ll put some of it on the thread this time. My daughter went to WSU her freshman year (she has since transferred). She did not go through rush that year, but she was there for recruitment week. Her roommate and virtually all of her HS buddies did go through recruitment. I’m giving you that background so you understand that while I’m pretty confident about my info, it isn’t first hand, so if you get different advice from sorority members at WSU – please go with that.
With that understood, here’s what I know from her.

1) I think between 700 and 800 girls signed up for recruitment last year. It would be considered a competitive but not super competitive recruitment. She knew girls who dropped out of recruitment, but she didn’t know any that got cut completely. That’s not to say it couldn’t happen – but it must’ve been mighty rare. If you are a freshman with a decent GPA , an open mind (more on that in a minute), the ability to hold a conversation, and who can put themselves together (you don’t walk out the door looking like you rolled out of bed), you shouldn’t have a problem.

2) In this case (as is the case for most NW schools) when they say you don’t need recs that is true. Should you still make an effort to get them? Sure. It can only help. I’m just saying that if you don’t have recs to every house on campus – don’t stress.

3) WSU used to host a Greek fair in Seattle and Spokane every summer. Not sure if they still do this and not sure on the dates, but I would call Greek life and find out. If they do still offer it – go.

4) The link 33girl provided gives you the schedule. When they say long days – they aren’t kidding. They start early, you go until lunch, take a break, go back out again, have dinner, and then typically have some sort of seminar in the evening that talks about aspects of Greek life in general. After that the groups do something with their Rho Gamm’s – movie, pizza, games, etc until pretty late.

5) I do disagree with the way they worded one thing on that link. It makes it sound like YOU pick 11, 7, and then 4 chapters you want to go back to see before you finally pick the 1 chapter you want. In fact, you rank the chapters, they decide who they want to see back, the computer does some matching and you could potentially go back to 11, 7, and then 4 chapters. They may or may not be the top 11, 7, and 4 chapters you ranked. After preference (4) you rank your top 3 (at least that was the case last year). When they say you pick the chapter you want - that just means you will rank your favorite of those 3 as number 1. It does not mean the chapter you listed as number 1 will give you a bid. Instead- it may be the chapter you listed as 2 or 3. They worded that really badly, and I personally think it is misleading to say the least.

6) The other thing I disagree with somewhat is their clothing suggestions. Pictures 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 she saw a lot of during the week. Basically – LOTS of sundresses (every day including the first two), cute shorts or capris and cute, short sleeved tops. Cute, flat sandals (not flip-flops). Picture 2 looks pretty long for that campus. Also a big NO to the tank tops they suggest unless a sorority member there tells you otherwise. Maybe if it is well-fitting, paired with nice shorts, belt, some jewelry and a nice sandal. In other words, dress up a tad more than the link suggests, but not way more. They do not put out a booklet – great idea, but I don’t know any school up here that does that (maybe UW but I don’t think even they do). The third picture down in the link, by the way, is probably the best representation of what she saw girls wear every day of recruitment other than preference (which is dressier).

7) As 33girl mentioned – no one discusses reputation here and I want to emphasize that by telling you my daughter is surprised to hear how much the reputations of many chapters have changed in the 3 years since she left and they vary from person to person. They are fluid and subjective. You are much better off if you go into the chapters with no preconceived notions.

PS - If anyone actually runs all the way to their chapter on bid day - I want to see it. Walking around that campus on that hill pretty much did me in for 3 days. Of course, I'm old an out of shape. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-18-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rushing at wsu as well and I'm slightly nervous, but very excited. I hope we all find a house we love!