GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,210
0 members and 1,210 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment as Sophomore at UA

I'm a freshman at Alabama and decided not to partcipate in recruitment as a freshman because I'm from out of state and I wasn't familiar with the rush process or the Greek system in general. Now that I've been here for a few months, I've met some really nice girls in sororities and I've decided I want to rush next year. However, I only know a handful of alums from Alabama who were involved in the Greek system, so I'm a bit worried about the quality of my recs. Also, I've been told by some that being a sophomore may automatically get my cut from some houses. I'm getting nervous about the process as a whole, because I'd really like to participate but I'm afraid I won't get bids. I know grades are important, as is meeting girls in the Greek system.Any advice, and will my lack of recs harm my chances? Thanks for all of the help!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

The search button is your friend.

Get to know both Greeks and non-Greeks in your classes, dorm, clubs, etc. Keep your grades up. Get recs.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You won't be going through formal recruitment today! You have plenty of time to find alumnae and get recs. In a perfect world, a PNM would have 2 recs for each chapter from Bama sorority alumnae who've known her since she was in diapers. I would venture a guess that very few, if any PNMs, even at a school like Bama, would be that lucky. The important thing is that you have a rec. Although it won't guarantee you an invite to the next round, chapters will probably cut girls who don't have recs at all right away. (Speaking of first round cuts, you're right, you are a sophomore, and yes you will probably have fewer choices because of your class standing, so keep an open mind about ALL chapters.)

You don't have to have recs from Bama alumnae; you recs can be from alumnae of any chapter of the sororities represented at Bama. Some organizations allow collegiates from other chapters to write recs (not sure where that thread is). Start asking around now for recs, build and maintain friendships with women in chapters, and study hard! Don't let your grades be another strike against you!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Just be yourself. I know all the Bama hype and all the who knows who, however, I also know a wonderful young lady from 3 states over who is a Kappa Delta at Alabama, who is now on their council who had a simple reference from her hometown with no Alabama connections.

I was a sophomore pledge so I understand your concern. Get to know as many people as you can and be as involved as your schedule will allow.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter rushed as a sophomore at UA this year. She said that knowing girls in the houses really helped as did having a great GPA. Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet sorority girls as all of the houses are very involved in campus life. Don't just get involved to meet greeks, find something that you are passionate about and join that organization. She was rerushing and did get cut by a couple of houses on the cut once/cut always policy but that will not affect you as you are rushing for the first time. She got her first choice as did 4-5 other friends of hers who were rushing as sophomores for the first time. Each house can take sophomores that do not count against their quota. Recs, grades, campus involvement needs to be your mantra for this year. Good Luck and have a great year at Bama.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

cut once/always cut policy?

I've never heard this...please explain. Cut once/always cut...for what reason?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawn Liebowitz View Post
I've never heard this...please explain. Cut once/always cut...for what reason?
News to me, too
Old 10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The basic idea is this. If a girl is cut from a chapter during recruitment and she participates the next year that the chapter will cut her again. The thinking behind it is that she was cut for a reason the first time around. If the girl had fit chapter standards then she wouldn't have been cut in the first place and would have received a bid from someone. She obviously didn't receive a bid so the chapter cuts her again because the reason they cut her before still most likely still applies. This isn't done as much since UA instituted an upperclassmen quota system because the girls aren't counting against the freshman quota.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

Chapters can do what they want...but I think that's a foolish policy. What if the PNM was cut because of her high school grades, but came into her own and aced her freshman year of college? What if the PNM was cut for lack of a rec, but the following year she has terrific ones from in-house alumnae? People can change for the better during freshman year. Why have a policy that prevents you from even considering whether circumstances have changed? You can always take a look and cut her a second time if you want.
________
VAPORIZER WIKI

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Chapters can do what they want...but I think that's a foolish policy. What if the PNM was cut because of her high school grades, but came into her own and aced her freshman year of college? What if the PNM was cut for lack of a rec, but the following year she has terrific ones from in-house alumnae? People can change for the better during freshman year. Why have a policy that prevents you from even considering whether circumstances have changed? You can always take a look and cut her a second time if you want.
I'm betting it's more an "unwritten rule" than an actual policy or they couldn't say things like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
This isn't done as much since UA instituted an upperclassmen quota system because the girls aren't counting against the freshman quota.
I've never heard anyone saying "well, our GPA requirement isn't done as much since we have an upperclass quota."

Not only that, it was my perception that when the "cut once, cut always" rule was in effect, it wasn't for things like grades that are cut & dried, it was more for "intangibles."
Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamom13 View Post
She was rerushing and did get cut by a couple of houses on the cut once/cut always policy but that will not affect you as you are rushing for the first time.
I just feel the need to say that you don't know this for sure. No one but the people in that room know why your daughter was cut.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

this doesn't apply to all the chapters at UA, i have plenty of friends who went through again as sophomores and received a bid to their first choice mainly because of grades and their friends they made within the chapter. grades and friends are the 2 best things you can have if you want to rush as a sophomore! i know plenty of girls who do and since you didn't rush the first time you have an even better chance. best of luck!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
The basic idea is this. If a girl is cut from a chapter during recruitment and she participates the next year that the chapter will cut her again. The thinking behind it is that she was cut for a reason the first time around. If the girl had fit chapter standards then she wouldn't have been cut in the first place and would have received a bid from someone. She obviously didn't receive a bid so the chapter cuts her again because the reason they cut her before still most likely still applies. This isn't done as much since UA instituted an upperclassmen quota system because the girls aren't counting against the freshman quota.