GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,282
0 members and 2,282 guests
No Members online

Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You've got to put yourself out there - rejection is tough, but when you apply for a job, go on a first date, or any one of a hundred other worthwhile ventures, you have to risk it. Colonization could be an incredible experience for you - the WORST that could happen is they say no - and as you know, life goes on after "no". On the other hand, they could say YES - and you could be part of an amazing sisterhood. I say, go for it! As I look back on my life, there are only a few things I regret doing, but LOTS of opportunities I wish I had not let slip by. "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined ".- Thoreau
Well, there's a kick in the butt I want to thank you all for the advice and help you've given me...and now I have some more questions, LOL. I read in the school newspaper that organizations have been chosen to present, but I don't know any alumnae of the sororities that will be presenting, so I'm kind of worried about how I'll get a rec when Panhel does decide.

I honestly knew NOTHING about recruitment before I rushed last fall, so I have no idea about rec etiquette. But I'd like to talk to a member just to learn a little more about the sorority than the tangibles; I know I'd have the opportunity to ask questions during the interviews with national reps, but I feel like I should go into the interview with at least some sense of the organization. I guess it's that the interview process seems kind of serious to me, almost analogous to one of the days of rush AFTER the first day, when you go in with no clue what the chapter is about, besides what you've heard, so I should be entering an interview with more preparation than I did the first day of rush. Does that make sense? And even if it does, am I totally off base?

Last edited by maybepnm; 10-21-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 AM

Are recs even common for colonies? National officers and alumnae are the ones doing the interviewing. If they like you that's a million times more important than if Ally Alumna rights a rec.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Good point. I just really want this to work out, so I guess I'm going kind of overboard making sure I do everything I can! On that note...the organizations are presenting this week and PNMs are invited to attend (which I guess would make me no longer a maybepnm, haha) and speak with the committees after presentations. Could I just wear what I wore to class (as in jeans and sweater, not, like, pajamas) or should I dress up a little more, like closer to business casual? When I was doing formal rush, they told us to dress like we would for class for the first day, a girl in my rush group showed up in Birkenstocks and ripped jeans, and she was cut hard. I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but am I being overly careful in leaving my own Birks at home? I want to make an effort, but I don't want to go too crazy.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Are recs even common for colonies? National officers and alumnae are the ones doing the interviewing. If they like you that's a million times more important than if Ally Alumna rights a rec.
I can't remember where it was, but I think someone on here that was at a DG colony said a lot of the girls had recs. I would definitely try to secure them.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, in this case I wouldn't worry about getting recs. The sorority will do that, if it's a high priority with them. They would NOT expect you to have recs. If you or your parents know somebody who is a member of the group coming on, then certainly ask if they would write you a rec, which they can send to the group's international headquarters. PM if you like!
As far as dress...it couldn't hurt to dress up a little...like you said, business casual. Neat...well groomed...put yourself in the best light possible!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 02-19-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to the presentations and they were SO MUCH FUN. But I have to admit there is one sorority I kind of hope Panhel chooses above the others -- I've volunteered for their philanthropy, so I immediately got excited when that particular presentation discussed philanthropy (not to be presumptuous). I'm so nervous already...going to the presentations reminded me how much I'd love to be in a sorority and I really hope everything works out this time!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

i hope that things workout in your favor too. i am glad that you got to attend the presentations-they are neat, aren't they? just keep your eyes and ears open so that when the sorority is chosen, you get your name on the sign up sheet for an interview. then put your best foot forward, dress nicely and conservatively(after all, the interviewers will most likely be that sororities national officers, former nat'l officers and/or alumnae) and let yourself shine!

please keep us posted.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping my thread up because recruitment is going to start soon, and if you all have any last-minute advice, I would love to hear it -- I am so nervous!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
good luck to you and keep us updated!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Maybe,
Do your homework about the sorority - know their philanthropy and mission statement. (should be on their web site). Ask questions about leadership opportunities and personal development. Share with them previous leadership positions you have held. Show genuine interest in each person you meet. Present yourself in the best possible light (dress well, be well groomed, etc.).

I wish you success as you put yourself out there for this opportunity! Good luck!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybepnm View Post
Bumping my thread up because recruitment is going to start soon, and if you all have any last-minute advice, I would love to hear it -- I am so nervous!!!
Good luck!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I am very excited for you maybepnm!

I may be off in this suggestion as I have not been involved with a colonization before, but definitely don't forget to mention all of the things you are already involved with on campus! My impression is that during standard formal recruitment, PNMs can schmooze (I don't mean this with negative connotations) with members and make a good impression and be well-liked and invited back, but I feel like in a colony recruitment the alumna and other collegians are really interested in your involvement/what you could contribute to the sorority. Of course this holds true in standard recruitment, but I have the impression that it is given even greater weight in a colony recruitment.

Good luck, and put your best foot forward!

Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do your homework about the sorority - know their philanthropy and mission statement. (should be on their web site).
Is there anything I should keep in mind when discussing information about the sorority I've found when doing my own research? My main concern is coming off as sort of "know-it-all"-ish...I don't want the alumnae and actives I meet to think I believe I know their organization better than they do, but I DO want to make sure they get the idea that I'm definitely interested.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is there anything I should keep in mind when discussing information about the sorority I've found when doing my own research? My main concern is coming off as sort of "know-it-all"-ish...I don't want the alumnae and actives I meet to think I believe I know their organization better than they do, but I DO want to make sure they get the idea that I'm definitely interested.
Do your research (and ask questions).

Example: Research the philanthropy. Know what it is and what they do. Say, "I understand that for your national philanthropy you support the Junior Diabetes Research Foundation. What philanthropic events or fundraisers are generally held on different campuses in order to raise money or to donate time to this organization?"

Another example: Research scholarships. Say, "I know that the sorority offers scholarships to collegiate members, but I wanted to know what is included in the application process? And do chapters generally offer any scholarships, or have programs to help members excel in school?"

Show that you did your research AND seem interested and inquisitive. Inquire about the things that you don't know by using the things that you do.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-21-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
I think they will be pleased that you cared enough to find out some things about the organization.

Be natural. Use good eye contact. Firm handshake. Big smile.