GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,420
4 members and 1,416 guests
acg233, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Is rush strictly for undergrads?

I just graduated with my bachelor's this year, and am looking at graduate schools. One thing I really regretted not doing in my undergrad was going through recruitment. I'm not really familiar with the technical sides of Greek life, so I thought I'd ask! I'd love to join a sorority, but wasn't sure if it is strictly an undergraduate organization.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Assuming you're talking about NPC, the best way to find out would probably be to contact the fraternity/sorority life office at your school. Whether or not grad-school PNMs are common or even allowed is going to vary by university and by chapter.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you not a brother of Alpha Phi Omega? And now you want to join a sorority as a graduate student?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etadrisophila View Post
Are you not a brother of Alpha Phi Omega? And now you want to join a sorority as a graduate student?
Her being an APO member has nothing to do with her wanting to join a sorority.

kaitapoul: There are some (not nearly all) NPC sororities that can offer bids to graduate students. However, just because they CAN doesn't mean that they WILL. If you are going to a flagship or quite traditional university, I honestly would not even bother rushing.

If it turns out you are going to a more laid back and smaller school with some NPC chapters that take grad students...I would still wait to see if 1) the Greek life there is like what you want - it may be 180 degrees from your undergrad school 2) you have time due to your studies.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Apologies to all- I've made some uninformed posts this morning. I've been caffeine-free for a couple of days- apparently this takes its toll on mind function!
Again, so sorry...
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You may want to check out Alumna Initiation as a option. Not all NPC groups offer it, but some do. We initiated a graduate student 2 years ago at the campus where I help advise the undergraduate chapter. She worked with the undergraduate members as an advisory board member and participated in social activities/meetings with our local alumnae chapter. She's since graduated and moved to her new job location, but she'll be a Gamma Phi for life and can volunteer/participate wherever she lives.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Like WhiteRose1912 said, it all depends on the university. I'm going to be going to grad school in the fall, and I contacted the sororities on campus who let me know I was eligible for recruitment.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
You may want to check out Alumna Initiation as a option. Not all NPC groups offer it, but some do. We initiated a graduate student 2 years ago at the campus where I help advise the undergraduate chapter. She worked with the undergraduate members as an advisory board member and participated in social activities/meetings with our local alumnae chapter. She's since graduated and moved to her new job location, but she'll be a Gamma Phi for life and can volunteer/participate wherever she lives.
/lane swerve/

FYI to the red - This is a very taboo subject here on GC.

/lane swerve/
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc01096 View Post
Like WhiteRose1912 said, it all depends on the university. I'm going to be going to grad school in the fall, and I contacted the sororities on campus who let me know I was eligible for recruitment.
You can be eligible for recruitment. Whether you're even eligible for collegiate membership is a whole 'nother story.

Re-read what 33girl said.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
[cringe]

Just because it's there doesn't mean it's always an option.

[/cringe]
Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What happened in that particular chapter is unique to THAT PARTICULAR CHAPTER of THAT PARTICULAR INTER/NATIONAL ORGANIZATION.

The OP's post sounds nothing like the woman to whom you are referring - someone with a certain level of interaction with the chapter/organization.

As someone who was initiated as an alumna, I have to say that memberhip in the alumna level in my NPC orgnaization is nothing like what undergraduate membership was like on campus (I pledged the entire semester (13 weeks) but I didn't initiate because I had to leave school early due to health reasons).

It sounds as if she is looking for the collegiate "sorority experience", and joining an org via AI is not going to give that to her.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As someone who was initiated as an alumna, I have to say that memberhip in the alumna level in my NPC orgnaization is nothing like what undergraduate membership was like on campus (I pledged the entire semester (13 weeks) but I didn't initiate because I had to leave school early due to health reasons).

Additionally, it should be noted that alumnae initiation is a rare honor bestowed upon exceptional women for very special circumstances. When such an occasion occurs, the sorority will reach out the possible future member, and not vise versa. It is not simply an "alternate route" for women who did not join as undergraduates.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I respectfully defer to members of other NPC organizations, but I haven't picked up on AI being a taboo subject on GC. In Gamma Phi Beta there is nothing taboo, or secretive, or unusual about AI. Feel free to explore our public section of www.gammaphibeta.org under Join as an Alumna. In fact, we publicly state that we offer AI as an alternate route to membership for women who did not join an NPC group as a undergraduate. I am sorry if I inadvertently stepped on anyone's toes.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergal1985 View Post
Additionally, it should be noted that alumnae initiation is a rare honor bestowed upon exceptional women for very special circumstances. When such an occasion occurs, the sorority will reach out the possible future member, and not vise versa. It is not simply an "alternate route" for women who did not join as undergraduates.
This depends on the group. I think there are at least a few who invite women to contact them.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitapoul View Post
I just graduated with my bachelor's this year, and am looking at graduate schools. One thing I really regretted not doing in my undergrad was going through recruitment. I'm not really familiar with the technical sides of Greek life, so I thought I'd ask! I'd love to join a sorority, but wasn't sure if it is strictly an undergraduate organization.
Why do you really regret it? It could very well be that your expectations do not match up with the reality of collegiate membership, especially depending on the culture of the school.

As someone with advanced degrees, I can't even fathom the desire to become involved with a sorority at that point in your academic life, both time wise and socially.