GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,911
0 members and 1,911 guests
No Members online

Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney bristow View Post

FWIW, I know some Miami greeks from high school. I'd be interested to hear how things are up in Oxford because of all of this. I wonder if this will affect the way all chapters' formals are done...
If nothing else, it is one less location that other organizations can consider for formals.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney bristow View Post
I am in no way defending their actions because what they did was disgusting and makes ALL greeks look bad, BUT let's try and stay away from stereotypes like this. Not every single member of any chapter has the same "typical behavior". True, certain chapters have certain stereotypes but we should at least stand together panhellenically. That sounded really cheesy. Ok, stepping off soapbox now!
I was thinking the exact same thing. There seems to be a big old pile-on where these girls are concerned. To see a parent (who's old enough to know better) doing it is...I don't even have a word.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

"Some of my best friends are Miami Greeks."

LOL

But, it's true, one of my closest friends is a seasoned NPHCer from there. That means nothing but I thought I'd share since everyone else did.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
"Some of my best friends are Miami Greeks."

LOL

But, it's true, one of my closest friends is a seasoned NPHCer from there. That means nothing but I thought I'd share since everyone else did.
I called my mom a "seasoned greek" the other day. Didn't go over so well. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
. . . Fuzzies on social probation. From what I read, the first two can't recruit next year, can Fuzzy? . . . .
A news report about the alleged incidents at the Alpha Xi Delta event is at:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/new...or-702573.html
Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Ouch! I didn't know the Freedom Center hosted private events like this.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=ADqtPiMel;1927735]Trust, it's not typical. There just happen to be a few chapters that are largely composed of self-entitled brats who don't give a shit about other people's property and think the rules don't apply to them. Miami is a predominantly white, upper-class school where a lot of people come from money, and the worst of them congregate into the same chapters. . . . QUOTE]

A very recent opinion piece -- not a news article, an opinion piece -- by a fraternity advisor and faculty member at Miami is at

http://www.miamistudent.net/opinion/...vive-1.1436140

The author of the piece ^ makes a point (or more) that's seemingly similar to what ADqtPiMel mentioned. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the opinion piece; some of it may be "overkill" in regard to a certain fraternity / chapter. However, the piece does provide the observations of someone who's apparently been involved with Greek life -- especially fraternity life -- at Miami for long time, and who can offer some personal historical perspective.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Seems strange that AXiD got more of a punishment but it didn't seem like their actions were on the same level as the Pi Phi house... wonder what is being left out.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Seems strange that AXiD got more of a punishment but it didn't seem like their actions were on the same level as the Pi Phi house... wonder what is being left out.
Same, unless the Alpha Xi's were already on probation of some sort.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
The Freedom Center is a civil rights museum. I think barfing there is probably worse than pooping in Lake Lyndsay.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Oh frick.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
A very recent opinion piece -- not a news article, an opinion piece -- by a fraternity advisor and faculty member at Miami is at

http://www.miamistudent.net/opinion/...vive-1.1436140

The author of the piece ^ makes a point (or more) that's seemingly similar to what ADqtPiMel mentioned. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the opinion piece; some of it may be "overkill" in regard to a certain fraternity / chapter. However, the piece does provide the observations of someone who's apparently been involved with Greek life -- especially fraternity life -- at Miami for long time, and who can offer some personal historical perspective.
This link is interesting. It's clear that things are not as they should be at Miami U. At least among some members of some chapters. But...

The vibe I get from this Professor though, is that he misses the 'Good old days', and has a definite dislike for one particular house. He also seems to enjoy naming all of the failed houses through the years, which seems strange to me for a faculty adviser. He is an Alumni Initiate and has only seen things from a faculty point of view. He saw what the brothers let him see.

Well, I was there in the Good old days and there were a good few cinder blocks tossed around then too. Or, in my school's case, coconuts.
Quote:
In what I view as an egregious error, the board decreased the ending point of the suspension from August 2011 to December 2010. In essence, this “penalty” was a slap on the wrist, as the only meaningful consequence is that the members of Sigma Chi will not be able to participate in Greek Week this year. (There is, of course, the housing situation. According to a new City of Oxford law, any fraternity not recognized by the university cannot obtain a permit to have its fraternity house more than four unrelated people. I am waiting to see what happens here.)
This guy clearly hopes that another house will close, so that he cam add it to his list of failed chapters.

On another topic. When I read this article and I got to the end, I was surprised to see my own picture. It was my Facebook account, offering to let me 'Like' or comment on this story. Somewhere, there is a database which knows that I read this article, and which I find very creepy.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

One-year probation? Can you say "slap on the wrist?" We ALWAYS had alumnae at our formals and informals and if we did not behave in a proper manner, we heard about it! I just feel sorry for the sisters and their dates who were not involved in the mayhem. As always, the innocent are punished along with the guilty.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofM-TKE View Post
On another topic. When I read this article and I got to the end, I was surprised to see my own picture. It was my Facebook account, offering to let me 'Like' or comment on this story. Somewhere, there is a database which knows that I read this article, and which I find very creepy.
I have noticed this myself from around the interwebz, and after some digging around I learned that Facebook has partnered with a ton of sites for the purpose of "sharing". I found it extremely creepy and kind of Big Brother-ish. I don't want or need FB to know what all websites I visit and then try to share them with everyone. That's worse than the spambots.

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
I have noticed this myself from around the interwebz, and after some digging around I learned that Facebook has partnered with a ton of sites for the purpose of "sharing". I found it extremely creepy and kind of Big Brother-ish. I don't want or need FB to know what all websites I visit and then try to share them with everyone. That's worse than the spambots.
Pandora and Yelp are the biggest offenders I think.

On that note - you know how they changed profiles with your interests and they all link to pages? Those are completely public and can't be hidden. So if you're a guy who likes Lady Gaga, Liza Minnelli and pink drinks and are applying for a job at Bob Jones U, you might want to get rid of those.