GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,482
1 members and 1,481 guests
naraht

Old 05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I don't think I've ever heard of someone having a different dress for the reception. I can understand why, I guess, but I've never seen it done.

Melania (sp?) Trump did it.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I don't think I've ever heard of someone having a different dress for the reception. I can understand why, I guess, but I've never seen it done.
I know a few people who have done it.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually know a lot of people who changed dresses for the wedding and reception....

My seamstresses made both of dresses for her daughter the reception dress was a simple shealth that was handbeaded from head to toe

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Chinese culture, the bride would wear a traditional western gown and then change (for the reception) into a traditional red Quipao or Cheongsam. Quite beautiful
Examples:

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-08-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

I've only been to three Orthodox (Greek) weddings, but they each had two dresses; one to make it easy to circle the altar three times, and the other for the reception. I don't know if it's an Orthodox thing or a local thing.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wedding dress browsing... has someone seen a bride wear a tea-length or ankle length dress in person? I only see pictures of models wearing them and the models are all tall!

I'm barely 5'2" and was never a fan of the big ball gown look and frankly the a-line gowns look just as big. I considered getting a short dress, but I'm not sure how well that will go over.

I'm just scared of being overwhelmed by tulle.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle
Chinese culture, the bride would wear a traditional western gown and then change (for the reception) into a traditional red Quipao or Cheongsam. Quite beautiful
Examples:

I've only ever been to one wedding (my cousin's), and this is what his wife did. I think I'm probably going to do the same thing when I get married...whenever that is

PSimissU
Old 06-15-2006, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Examples:
That model looks so fake and completely airbrushed. Beautiful dress though.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMarie
I'm wedding dress browsing... has someone seen a bride wear a tea-length or ankle length dress in person? I only see pictures of models wearing them and the models are all tall!

I'm barely 5'2" and was never a fan of the big ball gown look and frankly the a-line gowns look just as big. I considered getting a short dress, but I'm not sure how well that will go over.

I'm just scared of being overwhelmed by tulle.
I've never seen them in person. I'd think if your wedding was very casual it would be okay, but if you are going more traditional/formal, it might look a bit off.

Have you started trying anything on yet? My good friend is 5' and she wore a traditional A-line and didn't look overwhelmed at all. The key is to get a very narrow crinoline under it - just enough to keep it from sticking to your legs but not add poof. ALSO, she found a designer that makes petites, so it wasn't just hemmed, the entire dress was "shrunk" so to sepak.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

For my second wedding, I wore a tea length dress and I am only 5'3. It looked great. We only had a wedding because my husband hadn't been married before and really wanted one. It was fairly casual and more of a "party" atmosphere than an elegant occasion. It depends on how formal the event is.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I just bought my dress last week.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooooohhhhhh, that's so pretty. That's the style of dress I want (strapless, A-line, little bit of a train, ivory or light champagne color).

PSimissU
Old 06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kathy
I've never seen them in person. I'd think if your wedding was very casual it would be okay, but if you are going more traditional/formal, it might look a bit off.

Have you started trying anything on yet? My good friend is 5' and she wore a traditional A-line and didn't look overwhelmed at all. The key is to get a very narrow crinoline under it - just enough to keep it from sticking to your legs but not add poof. ALSO, she found a designer that makes petites, so it wasn't just hemmed, the entire dress was "shrunk" so to sepak.
I haven't been out physically shopping yet. Just looking at magazines and stuff. However, I went to a wedding this weekend and the bride had the perfect amount of "poof" to her dress. I was thrilled to see an a-line dress that didn't look bulky. But the bride was also about 5'6" and very athletic.

Speaking of strapless dresses though... I saw this article this afternoon.
THE GOWN / Strapless Begone! / Wherein our correspondent rethinks the popularity of barely there wedding dresses

I mean there is some truth that there are people out there wearing the wrong type of dress for their body type. But when strapless is the only dress available, it kind of limits your options. Of the four weddings I've been to in the last year, all of the dresses WERE strapless.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I posted me in my a-line on page 3 - no poof. I got a "narrow" crinoline. My shorter friend I mentioned beofre used it with her dress - she just wore it under her boobs instead of at her waist!

It is true that a lot of people don't look that good in strapless. I didn't want strapless, but everything I tried on with straps made my large chest actually look larger. My dress hugged the chest, though, and didn't have the shelf look. I also had it fitted properly so I never had to hike it up. I think a lot of women buy it smaller so they can feel better about a smaller number, then have to deal with popping out and back fat!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

My friend gets dirty massages from an Asian lady who wears that.

-Rudey

Quote:
Examples: