GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,730
0 members and 2,730 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2002, 04:18 PM

Does anyone on GC go to Alfred?
What ever happened to the Greeks there?
Are they taking pledges?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2002, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank You for posting That!!!!!!!!

LXA was recolonized 2 years ago so did the screw up No!

It is the generaliztion that when A Greek Orginazation Has an BAD Experience for a better Word, then it must be all!

NOT TRUE!

Why Do Not Some Of These Accedamian A W figure out what is in the real world!

99 % Of the young People do it right! 1 % do it wrong and 100 % Catch Hell!

Disagree?

This will Happen to any and every Organization each and individual Chapters. We as Adults Hate it!

You if you are an Alumni can help Prevent it?

If you are an Active, Da Guess What You can Try to prevent it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-24-2002, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
Richard(SNU).. a few of your points were very wrong. there are 4 national GLOs on my campus, three of which were started AFTER UMASS stopped recognizing us... my sorority was the only national to be around BEFORE they stopped recognizing us.. since Sigma Tau Gamma, Phi Kappa Sigma, and Alpha Sigma Tau have started up at our school...
we do advertise in the newspaper, too... we also have a brick on campus with our letters.
and we all have off campus houses... its just about the same except no meeting rooms provided by them, and no money... but still, you can make it if you try!
Old 09-24-2002, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether or not you can have an off-campus house varies by school. Some schools do (and yes they do have the legal right to) require that all students live on campus, or that all students under 21 live on campus. In the face of policies like this, a house is next to impossible to maintain.

Whether "unrecognized" Greeks can make it depends very much on how hard the school is trying to get rid of them. It can simply not recognize them. Or it can make everyone live on campus, encourage coaches to forbid their members to be Greek, ban their advertisements in the school paper (in exchange for funding), etc.

This is not to say that NO unrecognized fraternity or sorority can make it. What it does mean is that being unrecognized makes fraternity life harder most of the time. That is why some national organizations will not colonize under those conditions (and they'll pull charters). Others don't.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Thanks for that point, FuzzieAlum. I attend one of those schools that requires all students to live on campus unless they are living with family (married, divorced, widowed, living with parents or relatives, or have children), more than 4 years out of high school, student teaching, or own a house. If we got our recognition pulled, we'd be screwed.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Any updates?

Edited: Just talked to a friend of mine from Alfred..She says there is still no greek life but that some groups are still trying to fight it but not getting anywhere. That sucks. She is/was a DZ there.

Last edited by DigitalAngel126; 06-01-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PSK480
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I thought we had that constitutional right of freedom of association?

Where do these schools get off telling us who and who we can't associate with?
We do, but, private and even public schools also have the right to decide who can operate on their campus with their sanctions. If you aren't recognized by the school you can still operate but the school doesn't have to cover your liability if it happens while participating in a non-recognized activity. Think about it, a school won't regicnize a club that wants to throw an all-night rave and also have 20 kegs every friday - sunday. Especially if it's on campus, it isn't something a school should support. I do support the Greeks of Alfred and agree they've been shafted in some areas. But we also need to remember the school's rights in all of this. They have a right to decide who they recognize as a student org and who they don't.

edited to add: I also remember hearing somewhere that 80% of Alfred's Board of Trustees(Or whatever they're called, the board that ultimately made the decision) was Greek. So don't think this is just a bunch of independents trying to get rid of greek life.
Phi Sigma Kappa - Nu Pentaton #480
"From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -William Shakespeare

Last edited by PSK480; 06-01-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

This has be chewed over and over, but nothing came of it! For Shame to Alfred School. Cant call them a college or a U. as They have no damn clue.

They have the problem, not the Greeks!!!!

OMG, Cranial Rectosis!

The Problem is that maybe they react to the negative and not the Positive of what the Greeks do.

I know, if I was a Greek From Alfred, I would not give a Dime to them and let them suffer for it!

Hell, there are to many Schools who will take New Frosh as they need students to have a reason to be there!

I wrote an E-M to Alfred, but of course, they did not respond! To Sad, So Bad!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
You know... I may not make many friends for saying this, but I think it serves chapters that haze right if they get their charters pulled. Just don't do it people!!!

1. We all know it's illegal
2. We all know it's against our school policy
3. We all know it's against our national GLO policy (assuming we are nationals)

My personal thought is that even if someone in the depths of his or her heart believes that hazing is OK and fun and wonderful, they'd be pretty stupid to do it. I do feel really badly for the groups like DZ that were kicked off campus... but for groups like ZBT, Klan Alpine, and Sigma Chi Nu, it seems to me they've kicked themselves in the arse. Not to mention, they've ruined everyone else's party. For me, the lesson from this is not "screw the administration", it's "Stop hazing, stupid".

That said, I do have the utmost sympathy for groups that were not hazing on the Alfred campus. My cousin went to Alfred but is sort of the hippy artsy type and was not Greek. I hope their campus can work through all this issues and have strong, non-hazing GLOs return.