GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,082
0 members and 1,082 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Tale of 3 Daughters

My best friend (whose daughters, by the way, have all gone Greek) asks me every year to tell this story to at least a couple Mom’s of PNMs. She thinks it’s a great illustration of how we as Moms have dreams for our daughters that they don’t always share. So here goes the first chapter of “Tale of 3 Daughters”……

My Story

I grew up in Florida. The spring of my junior year I spent a couple weekends with my best friend visiting her older sister at the U of F. Her sister was in a sorority and we had a blast with her those weekends. I had only brothers and I realized this would be the perfect way to acquire the sisters I’d always wanted! So, since I knew that I wanted to be Greek and my parents made it clear that my college choices were limited to “in state”, I ended my junior year determined that I would attend the U of F and join a sorority.

Unfortunately, things took a different turn for me that summer. My Dad passed away unexpectedly leaving my Mom to raise 3 kids on her own. I passed the first few months of my senior year struggling with the loss of my wonderful father, trying to help my Mom cope with her loss and helping out with my younger brothers when Mom went back to work. I didn’t even think about college applications until a few weeks before Thanksgiving when I saw a sign up sheet for appointments with the college guidance counselor. When I mentioned this to my Mom that evening, she sighed and told me she had been meaning to talk to me. She had decided to accept a job a few states away and we would be moving in December. She went on to say that since I wouldn’t be eligible anymore for in state tuition in Florida, that I needed to figure out where I wanted to apply in our new state. Horrors!! Not only was I leaving the only home I’d ever known and all my friends, my dream of being a sorority girl at the U of F was gone as well. Blinking back tears, I only nodded and went to my room.

December came and we packed up and headed to our new home. After Christmas, I started the last semester of my senior year at a new school and with no idea where to apply to college. (For all of you younger GCers, remember that this was in the days when there was no SAT prep, kids attended schools they had never even visited and parents were not as involved as today!) I made an appointment with the guidance counselor to discuss my options and she gave me literature for each of the state universities and sent me home to contemplate my options. I fell in love with one university the moment I opened the brochure. Beautiful red brick sidewalks and buildings, towering oaks, excellent academics and a strong Greek system! What more could a girl want? I filled out the application and sent it on its way thinking that things may work out after all.

So the day finally came and the envelope was thick. I had been accepted! By this time, I had made some friends at my new school and many of them were receiving thick envelopes as well. I was glad that I wouldn’t be starting a new school for the second time that year not knowing a soul. That night, as my Mom and I eagerly read through the packet of information, we noticed that the tuition was a LOT more that we had thought. Maybe this was a total including housing and meals? But it wasn’t. After reading more carefully, I discovered that I wasn’t eligible for in state tuition. Apparently, you had to live in the state for a full year before you were. Were they kidding?? I understood why I wasn’t eligible in FL, I didn’t LIVE there anymore. But to not be eligible for the state I did live in, well I just didn’t get it. I looked at my Mom and knew right then that I wouldn’t be attending my dream university in this state either…. at least not for my freshman year. Okay I thought, new plan. I’ll reapply and transfer next year when I’ll be “in state”.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I can't wait for an update!!! I'm so glad that you have decided to share the story with us!! It must have been hard losing your father.

I, too, moved in high school during my junior year. The sad part about it is that by the time my new high school finally felt like home I was packing up and going to college.

I digress. continue on!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Super excited to read this one. Sounds great already! Can't wait for an update!
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay... because you asked so nicely (and because I already wrote the whole thing and just had to cut and paste.....

My Story…. Part 2

I had also applied to and been accepted at the state university in the city where we lived. My only option was to start there in the fall and since I would be paying “out of state” tuition rates, live at home. Not exactly the college experience I had hoped for, but at least it would bring me one step closer to my goal of transferring. I arrived at orientation and after a tour, made my way to a row of tables set up by the organizations on campus. I eagerly scanned the row for GLOs, hoping to see some of the same ones that I knew had chapters at the other campus. What was this, no GLOs at all? How could this be? This was a university and ALL universities had a Greek system, didn’t they? Apparently not. I was crushed and MAD!! Here I was not only hundreds of miles from the U of F where I was supposed to be and not even at my second choice, but living at home and attending a school I wasn’t even excited about and THEY had the bad manners not to have a Greek system for me!!! It was just all too much. I ran to my car and sat there for quite a while crying and pounding on the steering wheel railing at the misfortune that I had endured in the last year.

Well, the fall semester starts and I attend classes, work part time and take care of my younger brothers when my Mom needs me to. I don’t love the university I attend, but I think “That’s okay because I’m only here for this year”. At Christmas, I fill out my second application to the “University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks”, stating that I am applying to the Business School and send it on its way. This time I get a letter back almost immediately and it is NOT thick. Guess what, you can only apply to the Business School as a junior transfer. No sophomores allowed!! I had no clue this was the case. So, what to do? Spend another year living at home and then reapply or change my intended major? I guessed another year of living at home wouldn’t kill me and this way I could have all the pre-reqs for Business School behind me and could save some money to help cover the additional cost of housing when I transfer. So I make my decision and all through my sophomore year, I keep thinking “Just one more year, just one more year”.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cane94G8r97
Heartbreaking!

Tell me more! Tell me more!
Always a Zeta Tau Alpha \^^^/
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

May we have some more please?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is not meant to be "heartbreaking" as there is enough of THAT on GC this time of year.

This is just a "Tale" of my life as it was long ago and my experiences with my 3 daughters, all of whom are happy, healthy and having GREAT college experiences!

Now I need to go work on Daughter #3s laundry. I am moving her to school tomorrow and she has run off to the lake with her boyfriend.

I'll try and post more later.......
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok - Everything is washing/drying and or folded/hung up. So here's the rest of my story before we move on to Daughter #1!

My Story…. Part 3

The next fall comes and I’m walking through a campus with red brick sidewalks, under the towering oaks, past old red brick buildings on the way to my first class at the Business School. Floating through campus would probably be a more appropriate description since I was officially on Cloud 9!! This was the University I loved from the first time I opened the glossy brochure years ago. This place was everything I had dreamed of and more. The only dream left to go was made up of Greek letters to (hopefully) be determined when rush started in a couple weeks.

A couple days before rush started there was a meeting for all the girls who wanted to sign up. I got there early since my last class had ended the hour before and I didn’t have time to go back to my apartment between. I was living off campus in an apartment for a couple reasons. One, a girl I had become friends with at the other university was also a junior transferring to the Business School and asked me if I wanted to live with her and another friend. Since she had already spent 2 years in a dorm she wanted more privacy. Two, the university couldn’t guarantee that I’d be matched with another junior and the thought of a freshman roommate was not appealing. I had a brother near that age at home and if the high school girls that came around our house were any indication of that age group…. No thanks! When the auditorium started filling up I soon realized they were all loud, giggly freshman! I’m sure there were sophomores and juniors as well but, as to be expected the attendees were overwhelmingly freshman. I thought, ”It’s okay, the sororities are made up of all 4 age groups not just freshman.” The meeting was brief and afterwards I signed up for rush with much excitement and more than a few nerves. Would I FINALLY have my chance at being Greek???

If you haven’t already figured it out, just when my story seems to take an up swing, there is a down swing in sight! My Mom called me the next day to tell me she’d lost her job. She had already paid my tuition for the fall and I was covering my living expenses, books etc. with the money I had saved and my part-time job, so it wasn’t an immediate crisis. But, she also said finding another job might take a while and I should try and get some extra hours at work in case I had to pay my own tuition next semester. She was devastated to be letting me down (her words not mine) and she had the additional pressure of knowing that my brother would graduate HS that year and be going to college the next fall. I hung up the phone and just sat there knowing that I wouldn’t be going through rush, wouldn’t be joining a sorority and worst of all would always live with thoughts of “what if”.

So, what happened? My Mom found a job and was able to pay for my tuition the next semester. My senior year, I paid all my tuition and expenses so she could to pay for my younger brother’s freshman year. I graduated from Business School and LOVED every minute I spent at the “University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks.” I met my wonderful husband while I was there. It’s now the year 2001 and I’m living in the town I moved to all those years ago and have 3 beautiful daughters, ages 13, 15 and 17.

Spring Break is upon us and Daughter #1 and I head out to tour colleges up and down the east coast........
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Sadness! No GLO for you! That breaks my heart! I am truly sorry that you never experienced a GLO as a collegian. But, luckily, you have daughters you can vicariously live through and maybe even do alumnae initiation with one of their sororities? (Hopefully part of the story later on!)

Can't wait to read more!
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

IHPiPrez
I'm laughing at your SN as I assume it means "I Eta Pi"
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
IHPiPrez
I'm laughing at your SN as I assume it means "I Eta Pi"
I have been sitting here for 30 minutes trying to figure out what all that meant...
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew it wouldn't take long for you clever GCers to figure out what my screen name means! You will find out how that name comes about at the end of my Tale!!!

Give me a minute and I'll post the next chapter.

Last edited by IHPiPrez; 08-14-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Daughter #1s Story

Of course, she’s heard all about how much Dad and I loved our time at the “University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks.” She’s been to football games, Homecoming weekends and sports camps on the campus for as long as she can remember. But, Daughter #1 is Opinionated. So odd for a first child (yeah right)!! SHE will NOT be attending our alma mater. SHE wants to go to a smaller school farther north and preferably as far away from Mom and Dad as possible. Okay, no problem. We drive all week and tour small to medium schools far and wide. She likes a few, narrows her list and plans to apply in the fall. I nod and smile and say very little, as is wise for parents of teens, especially when they’re in their “I know it ALL” years.

Fall of her senior year comes and I hear little talk of college apps. In the way of today’s mothers, I poke and prod a little to make sure she knows about the deadlines etc. (BTW – How in the world did we ever research, apply and get admitted to college before the Internet?? No wonder I was so clueless… see previous posts for details!) I know from the almost daily updates from the College Guidance office at her school that they’d like all applications in to them by mid November for review. One night at dinner, I casually inquire as to the status of her apps. Giving me the “look” that we all know so well, Opinionated informs me that she sent her early decision application weeks ago to the “University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks’ and should hear pretty soon if she’s been admitted. WHAT??? After picking myself and extremely surprised Dad off the floor, we silently rejoice that she has seen the light.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I love that you've nicknamed her Opinionated...
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPIDelta View Post
I have been sitting here for 30 minutes trying to figure out what all that meant...
Lol