GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,595
3 members and 1,592 guests
Sarak24034

Old 04-21-2011, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

upperclassman quota

So I know a few campuses do this and would just like to know more about this for my benefit. They didn't do this where I went to school.

First of why do they do it? Is it because at those campuses if you were an upperclassman you would get cut heavily? or to spread out the upperclassmen evenly?

What is considered upperclassman? Sophomores and above, or just juniors?

How does work logistically? When you make your invitation list for each day do they have two list, one for underclassman and one for upperclassman? Or is this only for quota?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Why? To place more women. That way a chapter doesn't sacrifice a slot - they can have the best of both.

Upperclass is anyone not a freshman.

Logistically you can't tell the difference. Everyone attends just like anyone else. The only thing is that the upperclassmen go on one bid list and freshman on another.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
or to spread out the upperclassmen evenly?
This would only apply if the sororities were told they HAVE to take 3 sophs, 3 juniors etc. That cannot occur as it would be interfering with membership selection.

I mean if ABC really wants to take 50 juniors, 3 seniors and 2 freshmen without an upperclass quota, that's their prerogative.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This would only apply if the sororities were told they HAVE to take 3 sophs, 3 juniors etc. That cannot occur as it would be interfering with membership selection.

I mean if ABC really wants to take 50 juniors, 3 seniors and 2 freshmen without an upperclass quota, that's their prerogative.
Yes, but I have seen the stronger recruiting chapters "monopolize" the freshmen. Leaving more of the soph/juniors/seniors for the other chapters.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 PM

A lot of it has to do with the stigma that being a non-freshman carries in some competitive recruitments. Chapters are wary of taking upperclassmen because that's one less freshman they can pledge. Adding a upperclassman quota means they can pledge that sophomore without worrying about her taking a freshman spot in regular quota.

At some schools, upperclassman quota means sophs and juniors. There are some schools who do a junior quota which involves juniors only.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

upperclass quota

I think you have to look at each school individually. Some, like Alabama or Georgia, would almost be impossible to pledge a sorority as an upperclassman.

Or like mine which has a large junior college transfer population. It has allowed the Greek system to grow by pledging freshman quota and having a separate uppperclass quota for the transfers or women who did not go through recruitment their first year. Many of these women are outstanding but would have been released out of the system in past years in efforts to pledge freshmen to fulfill the housing requirements.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

"I think you have to look at each school individually. Some, like Alabama or Georgia, would almost be impossible to pledge a sorority as an upperclassman."

This is the reason for upper class quota. Each group has their own "quota". For example the college Panhellenic set a 25 freshman quota and a 5 upper class based upon the RFM figures of the women who preference. The quota is set based upon where the line is drawn to place the most women.

I thought Alabama and Georgia started the upper class quota last year. I know for sure they started it at Ole Miss and they are starting it at Florida this fall. Seems a trend in the larger, more competitive recruitment.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

A word of caution for the upperclassman quota:

Although it can work to your benefit if you're going to get the same number of freshman and then also get some upperclassmen as a bonus, DO NOT - under ANY circumstances - feel OBLIGATED to carry the 'recommended' number of upperclassmen PNMs to pref if you don't know & love them.

I've seen it happen with disatrous consequences if these are not women you'd be interested in as freshmen, and the only reason you're going to take them is because you can and they don't count towards your freshman quota. Only bring back the ones your chapter LOVES, even it means that you don't "make" upperclassman quota. This is one of those 'quality' over 'quantity' things...not that upperclassmen can't be quality...but, you just really have to be careful.

Make sure their background at your institution or transfer school is a good one. That's where recommendations/sponsors really pay off. You've gotta know what you're getting much more so with upperclassmen because they've already been out in the "real world" for a time and have had the chance to make their own decisions...moreso than a staight-out-of-daddy's-house-freshman.

PAY ATTENTION TO GRADES. That is a HUGE indicator of success on every level once you hit college. And if they've already got a few semesters of college grades under their belts, you'll be able to tell what kind of student they're going to be on your campus. If they come through from a junior college with a 2.0, chances are they'll be on social probation from the time they pledge. Now, I'm not suggesting that you only pledge upperclassmen with 4.0s...just giving some friendly advice because I've been there & seen that before...

Good luck to you.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGirley View Post

Although it can work to your benefit if you're going to get the same number of freshman and then also get some upperclassmen as a bonus, DO NOT - under ANY circumstances - feel OBLIGATED to carry the 'recommended' number of upperclassmen PNMs to pref if you don't know & love them.

I've seen it happen with disatrous consequences if these are not women you'd be interested in as freshmen, and the only reason you're going to take them is because you can and they don't count towards your freshman quota. Only bring back the ones your chapter LOVES, even it means that you don't "make" upperclassman quota. This is one of those 'quality' over 'quantity' things...not that upperclassmen can't be quality...but, you just really have to be careful.

Make sure their background at your institution or transfer school is a good one. That's where recommendations/sponsors really pay off. You've gotta know what you're getting much more so with upperclassmen because they've already been out in the "real world" for a time and have had the chance to make their own decisions...moreso than a staight-out-of-daddy's-house-freshman.

PAY ATTENTION TO GRADES. That is a HUGE indicator of success on every level once you hit college. And if they've already got a few semesters of college grades under their belts, you'll be able to tell what kind of student they're going to be on your campus. If they come through from a junior college with a 2.0, chances are they'll be on social probation from the time they pledge. Now, I'm not suggesting that you only pledge upperclassmen with 4.0s...just giving some friendly advice because I've been there & seen that before...

Good luck to you.
Yeah, I think every group has their own ways of handling membership selection. Okay!?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Don't take hos.

Good luck to you.
fyp
Old 04-23-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Yes, but I have seen the stronger recruiting chapters "monopolize" the freshmen. Leaving more of the soph/juniors/seniors for the other chapters.
And the stronger recruiting chapters probably also monopolize the cuter girls or the girls with higher GPAs. That's immaterial. You still can't tell a group that they HAVE to take people from a certain class.

You also have to factor in that if it's known that there's a UC quota, that probably some UCs who would not have bothered rushing will give it a try since they'll theoretically have a better chance to receive a bid.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And the stronger recruiting chapters probably also monopolize the cuter girls or the girls with higher GPAs. That's immaterial. You still can't tell a group that they HAVE to take people from a certain class.
It's a big difference when it's class standing. Your other examples don't relate to retention in the same way.
Sure but you can tell people they can only take X people from freshman class and Y people from all other classes. It's pretty easy since schools do it ALL THE TIME. Having the UC quota does actually spread the students around a bit more, why are you acting like it would have to be a requirement to successfully do that? Do many chapters go "who cares if they're free, we won't sully our doorsteps with a junior!"

Quote:
fyp
Fuck off. Slut-shaming is fail.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, I think every group has their own ways of handling membership selection. Okay!?

Hey, hey...no need to be ugly. I'm just passing along what has worked on our campus. If you don't like or agree with it, then disregard.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey, hey...no need to be ugly. I'm just passing along what has worked on our campus. If you don't like or agree with it, then disregard.
Your non-revealed campus for your non-revealed glo.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Sure but you can tell people they can only take X people from freshman class and Y people from all other classes. It's pretty easy since schools do it ALL THE TIME.
They do? Where? Can you provide a link?

Upperclassmen quotas in no way say "everyone else you take has to be a freshman." They just say "you can take 5 upperclassmen as freebies." Yes, maybe it ends up in practice that everyone in "regular" quota is a freshman, but that's far different than having it written down as policy.

A school can tell groups who they CANNOT take (non-students; students with a GPA lower than Panhel or the school requires for extracurricular involvement; part-time students; students with penii) but aside from whack ass Tufts, they certainly cannot dictate whom they MUST take among the students who meet the criteria.

If a chapter doesn't want to take upperclassmen, even if they're free, really, that is their own damn business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Fuck off. Slut-shaming is fail.
Not doing it, just interpreting it. You do get that, right?