GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,960
Threads: 114,909
Welcome to our newest member, IUbabe29

Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

U of Arkansas: Phi Delta Theta Suspended Pending Investigation

See:
http://www.katv.com/news/stories/1109/680089.html

Phi Delta Theta HQ has suspended operations of the U of Arkansas chapter pending the outcome of an investigation of allegations of alcohol violations and possible hazing. The school is also investigating.

Phi Delta Theta's statement is on its HQ site:

http://www.phideltatheta.org/index.p...d=923&Itemid=9

See also
http://www.nwanews.com/news/2009/nov...-hazing-probe/

Last edited by exlurker; 11-20-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Damn not another one. You'd think with Drake just getting the axe from the same exact thing, the other chapters would be toeing the line more. Apparently not.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Very nice house....
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

They just added onto it, this is their first semester in it as a renovated in a bit.. It use to be a shithole (as in week old puke on the floor). Up until last year, you could even smoke inside the house.

I didn't read the links or not, but when he was brought to the hospital he was at .68. They found him foaming at the mouth near his dorm. It was big brother night.

As the links may or may not have said, I don't believe they have permission to drink inside the house because of Phi Delt national rules. However, they were known as the biggest partiers of anyone on campus.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll be interested to see if their charter gets pulled by nationals or by the University.

I doubt it, they have some fairly famous alumni (one of the Tysons). But it's possible. It's a pretty new house, relatively.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I understand, Phi Delt Nationals doesn't screw around with their alcohol policy. I wouldn't be surprised to see the charter get yanked.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston327 View Post
From what I understand, Phi Delt Nationals doesn't screw around with their alcohol policy. I wouldn't be surprised to see the charter get yanked.
People on the Arkansas campus find it hilarious when hearing that they're nationally dry. And yes, Phi Delt nationals don't screw around. I don't think that the UofA will pull their charter. Arkansas just doesn't really do that, no matter what all goes down. But their nationals might.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My understanding of the policy is that its not a "dry" house per se, but that alcohol isn't allowed in the physical structure. They can still drink at events I believe, using a 3rd party vendor or BYOB (no collection for alcohol allowed).

What doesn't make sense to me about this and the Drake case is:

1. How the hell do you get that much alcohol into you? I thought pass-out range was like .4 for even the biggest people.

2. If they *really* want to drink, why not do what we used to do in high school? Go out in the woods, have a bonfire/campout and drink to your heart's content. Not that I'm condoning what happened in either case but seriously if you want to get trashed be smart about it.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My understanding of the policy is that its not a "dry" house per se, but that alcohol isn't allowed in the physical structure. They can still drink at events I believe, using a 3rd party vendor or BYOB (no collection for alcohol allowed).
You are correct. The chapter property (i.e. physical house) must be dry, but the chapter can host events that include alcohol as long as they are following policy.

Quote:
1. How the hell do you get that much alcohol into you? I thought pass-out range was like .4 for even the biggest people.
You pass out around .40, but the majority of alcohol is absorbed in the small intestine, only a small amount is absorbed through the stomach itself. So, you could be fairly drunk, guzzle a fifth of whatever right before passing out, and your BAC will go up about 20-30 minutes later (time not exact) when that fifth hits your small intestine. Which is exactly why you cut people off well before they are staggering, puking, or passing out. You don't really know how much alcohol they have in their stomach waiting to hit that small intestine. That's how people are OK when they are put to bed, and dead the next morning.

PsychTau
Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While true, this was at their house. and always has been. they don't put their parties anywhere else.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Update November 21 '09: U of Arkansas Bans All Fraternities' Social Activities Until Spring Semester

Although spring semester isn't too far away, it seems to me that this decision will be disappointing to people who were looking forward to some parties around the holiday season.

http://www.nwanews.com/news/2009/nov...vities-halted/

Excerpts:
Saturday, November 21, 2009
FAYETTEVILLE — The University of Arkansas’ Office of Greek Life . . . has banned the school’s fraternities from all social activities until the spring semester.

Greek Life Director Parice Bowser said the decision was prompted by recent rape and hazing allegations made separately involving activities at two university fraternities houses.

“Our office decided to send a strong message to students that we are taking these matters ... seriously,” Bowser said. “We also want to be proactive whereas situations, such as what we’re dealing with now, will not occur again.”

Bob Biggs, executive vice president of the Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity, said members of the Arkansas Alpha Chapter of Phi Delta Theta came under fire earlier this week when 18-year-old Nicholas Brown, a potential new member of the fraternity, was transported to the Washington Regional Medical Center and treated for severe alcohol poisoning. Biggs said the incident occurred after a Nov. 12 “Big Brother, Little Brother” fraternity function, which took place at the Phi Delta Theta House . . . . Brown was transported to the hospital from his Humphrey’s Hall residence about 12:30 a.m. Nov. 13. Upon arrival, he had a blood alcohol content of .68, according to University of Arkansas police records. . . .

Brown was given a citation alleging misdemeanor public intoxication. At the current time, police are not conducting any criminal investigation related to Brown’s underage status. It’s illegal to provide alcohol to anyone younger than 21.

“We’re continuing our investigation and hope to conclude it soon,” Biggs said. “We plan to develop a course of action by Monday afternoon.”
Biggs said the outcome of the national organization’s investigation could result in both individual and group consequences, including the fraternity’s closing.

Bowser said rape allegations made against two Razorback basketball players and one former player at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity on Aug. 27 also played a role in her decision to stop all remaining fraternity events for 2009.
Charges against the three were not pursued after Washington County Prosecutor John Threet determined that there wasn’t enough evidence. The case has since been forwarded to a special prosecutor after questions arose over Threet’s relationship with Frank Broyles, the former UA athletic director and Kevin Trainor, a spokesman for the UA Athletic Department. Broyles is married to Threet’s mother-in-law. Trainor is his brother-in-law.

Since learning of the hazing allegations on Tuesday, Phi Delta Theta officials have been working with the UA and local alumni officers to conduct an investigation.

According to an incident report issued by University Police, officers responded to the seventh floor of Humphrey’s Hall to reports of an unconscious, intoxicated man. Police found Brown lying across the hallway with two women sitting beside him. One of the witnesses at the scene, 19-year-old Erika Akel, identified herself as Brown’s girlfriend. During an interview with police, Akel said she picked Brown up from the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house and brought him to Humphrey’s Hall. They both got on the elevator and exited on the seventh floor. Akel said Brown lost his balance and fell forward, striking his face on the ground.

Bowser said the decision to cancel all sanctioned fraternity events came Thursday. Students were notified by e-mail that all fraternity activities, including coke dates, parties, formals, hall parties and co-sposored events with sororities, had been postponed until Spring, 2010.

“We’ve canceled individual events before, but we’ve never had to cancel all fraternity activities,” she said. . . .
Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Were the basketball players Fijis or did they just show up and possibly commit a crime there?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
A BAC of .68 is incredibly. I work in Drug and Alcohol counseling and the highest I've heard of is .628. And that was by a 30 year old pretty serious alcoholic. I can't imagine how fast or how much this young man must have drank to get that high and how nobody noticed it.

I have seen on my campus that Phi Delta Theta Nationals do not mess around. Our chapter was shut down after two incidents which, compared to how much trouble other fraternities that are still around have gotten into. Was pretty shocking.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Were the basketball players Fijis or did they just show up and possibly commit a crime there?
They were not Fiji's (fraternities at Arkansas don't take too well to athletes, especially basketball). Fiji had a bid day party for the AOPi's and essentially kept the door open so that any AOPi can get in and not have to knock. Bball players came in.

It wasn't even rape to begin with.

It's a pretty big deal on the campus, because we have three bball players out because of it (I think so, at least)) and a fourth because he made fun of it on his twitter.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

And Phi Delt is gone.

Don't have a link, I'm sure there will be one forthcoming. Pulled by nationals, people think.