GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,533
1 members and 1,532 guests
navane

Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you keep an open mind about a new job?

I've always kept my resume up to date on Monster. I'm not actively looking for a job, since I really like mine now, but I figure if something fantastic comes my way, I could look into it.

Recently, I was contacted by a company about a position similar to what I do now. It intrigues me, but probably not enough to switch companies.

Do you search the job ads or keep a resume out there even if you're happy in your current position? And if so, what exactly would it take for you to make the switch?

For me...it probably comes down to money, but I would likely need at least $15K more a year in addition to great benefits and an interesting position.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
No harm in looking. I do keep a resume out there, that's how I ended up with the PT gig I recently started. Plus, its a good barganing tool for salary issues, etc.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

A recruiter (or two) should always have your name and updated resume. They know of all of the jobs that are not in the Help Wanted ads and have connections you might not have.

Even if you are not looking, it doesn't hurt for others to know of your talents
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not looking. My job gets me a little experience, plus I'm just in this position until I graduate.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
A recruiter (or two) should always have your name and updated resume. They know of all of the jobs that are not in the Help Wanted ads and have connections you might not have.

Even if you are not looking, it doesn't hurt for others to know of your talents
i agree - i compare it to looking for an apartment on craigslist / newspaper vs using a broker. the headhunters always hear about positions, and they tend to be the better ones. when a headhunter calls you about a job (commission aside), the selection has already been weeded out in part.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'e learned always keep a resume updated; and it was needed a few times, when I was just cruising along.
One company brought in a "consultant," but some of the long timers on staff thought they'd heard his name before, and made calls. It was determined the consultant was a broker, the place was up for sale. Just about everyone went about updating resumes. When a new buyer was found, several of us were already gone, and of previous staff and replacements, the staff was cut in half. If someone is wandering about your company, supposedly consulting, but not asking questions aimed at improving things, it isn't a good sign.

Keep in touch with your references. I left a job, after being injured, and did an educational program out of state. When I came back, many of my references had left their jobs, retiring early or were downsized out.

If you used somone for a reference after interviewing, thank them. Send just a short note. I've had some references who have known me awhile. First they were contacts for prospective employers, and most recently, for grad school recommendations.

I've heard of jobs when I wasn't looking, and if you really aren't interested and know someone who is, call them. They may end up being your boss one day.

Last edited by justabeachbrat; 12-27-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo monster
Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's always a good idea to keep your resume updated because you never know what can come your way.

Three years ago I was in a bad job, it was boring, and it paid poorly, the company had issues, and the benefits weren't really worth it either. It was hard to leave though because I really liked the people I worked with. The job I moved to was a really sudden opening, so it helped that I had an updated resume. I interviewed and started two weeks later. It seemed like a good one until I actually moved. The pay was about $15K higher, the benefits were immediate and awesome, and while the career path was different, it seemed like fun.

"Seemed" being the operative word.

Two and a half months after I started there, the company had some issues and had to undergo a huge reorg. A lot of people got moved to a sister company and a lot of people there could see the end and left the company all-together.

I was really fortunate that someone from an entirely different company that I had met at my first job remembered me and specifically called me then to tell me about an opportunity opening up. I happened to have an updated resume, went in for the interview just to check it out, and ended up leaving Company #2. The pay increase wasn't as drastic as the other one was, but the benefits were still good, and it was a good, solid company.

I think that last move was the best thing that has happened to me and I'm really happy things worked out the way they did because I've been with Company #3 for the last 2 years and wouldn't have it any other way.

It definitely pays off to keep your resume updated. Even if you don't want to leave your company, if you are a good employee that your current company wants to keep, you can use your other offers as negotiating chips to get higher pay if you stay. I've seen it happen a few times.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
It definitely pays off to keep your resume updated. Even if you don't want to leave your company, if you are a good employee that your current company wants to keep, you can use your other offers as negotiating chips to get higher pay if you stay. I've seen it happen a few times.
Yep yep. Although my coworker (the one who recently resigned) kept telling me that you can only play the "I have a better offer" card once, because after that, your boss will get sick of it and just tell you to go.... Well, I say you can play the card as many times as you have a solid offer. If your boss doesn't like it, and tells you to go, you just go, otherwise, you get a sweeter offer. I don't see the downside. Unless you end up jumping from company to company, "Chasing the nickel", as my other coworker calls it. That doesn't look good.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it becomes more difficult to consider leaving once you've been with one employer for a number of years. I'm approaching 14 years with the health system I work for (in two different careers) and giving up the pension, retirement and (mostly) the 6 weeks off per year seems nearly impossible, unless forced. I know I'm not going to get 6 weeks off anywhere else right off the bat <sigh>.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Right now? No way. At my previous job, my mind was so open about looking for another job that I applied to different positions all over the country!

Now, I love my job and can't see myself leaving for a very, very long time. It's a smallish, family-and-friends operated firm, so it's not as if there's going to be a leadership shake-up or the firm will be bought out.