GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,396
2 members and 2,394 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 07-08-2002, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PotentialPledge
What are they implying???

I was talking with a few of my friends about starting up a TKE colony, and some of them replied with this saying "If you can't go greek go TKE." I was wondering what does this mean, or what people are implying by this saying. I was thinking some of you all have more insight on this matter.

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2002, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Thats and old as dirt saying that others say if they don't like TKE. TKE happens to rhymes with greek. It also rhymes with geek.How clever huh? Don't worry all greek organizations have syings about them so don't let them scare you off from starting a chapter. We wouldn't be such a big fraternity if it was true what they said.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember this: if they are not talking about you, then you are not perceived as a threat!

Give em hell! Rush the good guys and don't pay those fools any attention.

Just my two cents.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Something better

I always reply to the whole "If you cant go greak go TKE" thing by saying thats true dont go Greek go something better TKE. We are an organization unique, in tradition and thought, and we are definately the inovators of the greek community. How do you think we got to 300 chapters? From that comes haters cause we are on top. You will find taht out when your chapter is on top of your school, others will try to bring yall down........Blaise
Old 07-08-2002, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PotentialPledge
Thanks for all your explanations. I figured the reason people say that is because they are envious of you all, and soon to be me. Well thanks for everyone's support, I cant wait to become a true member of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Matt
Old 07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Potential Pledge

Don't listen to other people when they say that. When told "If you can't go greek go Teke" I replied, "Why not?" I never got an answer. Not once. However, I can give you reasons as to why they say that. How about when our fraternity (as a whole) almost went bankrupt in the early 1900's and instead of folding we bragged! We set our goals high and proclaimed them for all of the greek community. Within ten years of the bankruptcy occurance TKE had become the largest fraternity. How about some of these fraternities that have been around since the mid 1800's and are still smaller than our fraternity which was founded in 1899?? It is our uniqueness that sets us apart. We are quite Greek and we have managed to change the standard for the Greek community as a whole. It is a fact that we set the standard and we overcome all challenges. Try your best to become a Teke Matt and I assure you there are LOTS more stories you will learn! We are the American fraternity! We are TAU KAPPA EPSILON!
Old 07-08-2002, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys! Sorry to intrude in your forum, but I just had a quick question. When I was in college I was always told that the saying you are referring to had a different meaning. I was told that TKE was one of the very first fraternities to allow non-caucasian and non-rich men into their brotherhood. Therefore, this phrase was a source of pride because at one time many men could not join the greek system unless they joined TKE. Did the person who told me this just completely make it up, or is there truth to it?

Thanks much!
Jenn
Old 07-08-2002, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
"not for rank weath or character" What you heard is true.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Creed

Well said ZNTeke. Well said. We do not care how much money you have, what your social status is, or what possessions you have. We care about what you can offer as an individual. My personal motto for TKE is "What can YOU bring to the table?"
Old 07-09-2002, 12:28 AM

Re: What are they implying???

Quote:
Originally posted by PotentialPledge
I was talking with a few of my friends about starting up a TKE colony, and some of them replied with this saying "If you can't go greek go TKE." I was wondering what does this mean, or what people are implying by this saying. I was thinking some of you all have more insight on this matter.

Thanks
Gentlemen (brother Greeks),

Please excuse me. This is the first time I've looked at your forum and the first time I've posted anywhere but the general forums.

I just want to let PotentialPledge know that I've been known to say that on occassion, but always in jest.

TKE is an outstanding organization, as are most national fraternities. If you believe in the tenants of the founders of this particular organization, then go for it.

Rivalries are a part of the Greek world, and so are those catch phrases. This one was around when I was an undergraduate in the sixties -- and will be around probably forever. Nothing is meant by it but some good rivalry fun.

Remember that in many ways, all Fraternity men share a brotherhood and, to some extent, a common heritage no matter what letters they wear.

Best of luck to you.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard

"I luv the Chi O's, 'cauz the Chi O's always will."

This too, is not always true.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question ???????

I dont get that Chi O thing?
Old 07-12-2002, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Correction

Should be:

"I love the Chi O's, I always will, 'cause the Chi O's always will."

It's like a three-line song - chant.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Implying?

That they will always put out.......
We have Phi Mu, Phi Mu, its off too bed with you...
I paid my buck now I want my F*ck Phi Mu Phi Mu Phi Mu....
Its to the tune Hi Ho its off to work we go....
If any Phi Mus read this, I wasnt tryin to piss yall off......
Our two time defending sweetheart is a Phi Mu and she calls me a loser when I sing it to her when she goes into Her boyfriend/my roomates room........But she is a good friend of mine and its all in good fun............Blaise

PS I know Im gonna here about this post, probably from the Indiana girl who is always posting on here.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pbear19
Hey guys! Sorry to intrude in your forum, but I just had a quick question. When I was in college I was always told that the saying you are referring to had a different meaning. I was told that TKE was one of the very first fraternities to allow non-caucasian and non-rich men into their brotherhood. Therefore, this phrase was a source of pride because at one time many men could not join the greek system unless they joined TKE. Did the person who told me this just completely make it up, or is there truth to it?

Thanks much!
Jenn
The letters T K E are the same in Greek as in the Roman alphabet. Some folks said "If you can't go Greek,
go T K E based on this.
TKE did not have to ask one's religion, creed, or anything else.
We pledged who we wanted when we wanted.
But so did Beta and DU and perhaps others...and while the question is moot today, I am proud to have been in the forefront.
A loser is a loser, regardless, so Bill Clinton or the Rev. Jesse would never get a big from my chapter...LOL