GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,208
1 members and 1,207 guests
indygphib

Old 10-22-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Chi Psi Suspended -- Pledge & Alcohol (Union College NY)

The Chi Psi chapter at Union College (in New York State) has been suspended. The suspension came after a pledge drank so much he had to be hospitalized. The Associated Press story is on an NBC affiliate's site at:

http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=4013978&nav=2aKD
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2005, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Union College frat suspended
10/22/2005 10:37 AM
By: Capital News 9 web staff

A local fraternity is being suspended after one of their pledges was sent to the hospital.

The Schenectady Gazette reports that during pledge week at Union College, a Chi Psi pledge drank enough alcohol to be hospitalized.

School officials said alcohol isn't allowed during pledging.

A student-run interfraternity council judicial board ruled this week for Chi Psi to be suspended.

The move means the fraternity will not be allowed to host events until 2007.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Amazing of sorts being the Major College of Greek Maledom!

I hope they get a nice so long guys!

Ignorance is its own reward.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-23-2005, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn't these guys see what happened at Colorado

Chi Psi is a smaller fraternity located at well respected campi around the country. I'm sure the national leadership talked extensively about what happened last year. Obviously the Union Chapter did not get the message.
Goodbye to another old historic chapter 160 years ruined by the actions of a few.
I'd bet money Chi Psi does not return in 2007. DU was removed at Union in 1995 for hazing and still is off campus. The elite liberal art colleges seem to kick chapters off and then are very slow about allowing a return.
DU has gotten the boot at Syracuse, Hopkins, Union, Stanford and Cornell in the last 20 years the only place we' were allowed to return to is at Cornell.
Change or die fella's.

Last edited by g41965; 10-25-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Didn't these guys see what happened at Colorado

Quote:
Originally posted by g41965
Chi Psi is a smaller fraternity located at well repected campi around the country. I'm sure the national leadership talked extensively about what happened last year. Obviously the Union Chapter did not get the message. . . .
I'd bet money Chi Psi does not return in 2007. . . . The elite liberal art colleges seem to kick chapters off and then are very slow about alowing a return. . . .
Excellent points. In addition to the PR concerns about incidents, I have a sneaking suspicion that the elite liberal arts colleges (and the IFCs at those schools) are very much aware that by and large the parents of their students can pursue lawsuits vigorously, if they're so inclined. Yes, the colleges probably do care sincerely about the safety and health of their students, but there can be a real money issue looming in the background, too.