GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,342
3 members and 1,339 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Purely speculation but here is something to chew on....Say someone rec'd a snap bid and went along to the bid day festivities and played nice. After the sorority celebration, she stopped off on fraternity row and took a few turns around the stripper pole in the basements of a couple of fraternities and basically embarrassed herself and her brand new sorority. In fact, her behavior was so bad that the sorority decided to drop her-not even allow her to go thru the pledging ceremony. She might invent a story such as the one on the site that shall not be named to save face.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
I still assist with one of our chapters at a small University that matches by hand! Snap Bid calls are made by the Greek Life Coordinator while we are all still sitting at the table once Bid Matching is over. I'm not sure how other chaoters do this, but our Snao Bid list is typically women who we invited to Pref but did not attend (maybe they attended the other two sororities' Pref parties) and then did not match.

If we had a woman on our second bid list who did not match anywhere during bid matching, we have been able to get her as a Quota Addition.

Explaining the difference, and the process, to the Greek Life Coordinator was frustrating the first time, because she is not a sorority member, and had not read the Green Book!!!
Oh, my goodness! i could have written this exact post word for word with one of the small commuter schools for which I used to be the Recruitment Supervisor (hand bid matching and all). It would get extremely complicated, because usually there would only be 1 or 2 spots to snap bid for each chapter, and just about every PNM that went through recruitment was on each chapter's snap bid list, just in different orders. So, PNM A may be ABC's #1 snap bid, but #3 on DEF's list. But, PNM A wanted DEF more than ABC, so would have to wait until DEF's #1 and #2 declined, but those 2 may have wanted ABC, who was waiting on PNM A to decide. Yes, it was as confusing as it sounds! (Because you can't really have an inexperienced Greek Life advisor call and say tactfully, "you have a bid right now from ABC, and you're on DEF's list but not as high and they want other girls more than they want you, so if those girls turn them down then you may have a bid to DEF…")
Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Really? Now more confusion ensues. I read the MRABA and I didn't think you could do that.

Note to self: ignore recruitment.
The MRABA states "If I do not receive an invitation to membership from a group that I have listed, I am eligible for continuous open bidding"

Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I was under the impression that SIPs were NOT eligible for COB, that they had to wait a calendar year because they signed the MRABA. I thought that because they did not maximize their options, they were ineligible
Old 08-21-2014, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I was under the impression that SIPs were NOT eligible for COB, that they had to wait a calendar year because they signed the MRABA. I thought that because they did not maximize their options, they were ineligible
You're probably thinking of someone who DOES get a bid to a chapter they listed and declines it. Those people are not eligible to join another NPC sorority for one calendar year.

I swear I'm not making it up - just google NPC MRABA and you'll see the form.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Yup. You got it. Thanks. I understand. I think.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Do these bids actually make a snapping noise when they are issued? Because that would be awesome... I'm thinking like those slap bracelets or something...
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

All of my panhellenic life, I have thought that the entire concept of a snap bid was that the women who received a snap bid would be able to celebrate their New Member class. The idea was that, if they kept their mouths shut, nobody else need know that they received a snap bid.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
All of my panhellenic life, I have thought that the entire concept of a snap bid was that the women who received a snap bid would be able to celebrate their New Member class. The idea was that, if they kept their mouths shut, nobody else need know that they received a snap bid.
This is exactly correct. They show up at Bid Day with the rest and no one is the wiser.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
This is exactly correct. They show up at Bid Day with the rest and no one is the wiser.
And yet it always seems to leak out which groups took snap bids at the big, competitive recruitments :-)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPCNVA View Post
Do these bids actually make a snapping noise when they are issued? Because that would be awesome... I'm thinking like those slap bracelets or something...
On my campus, one alum from each chapter was present with their president, VP and recruitment chairs during bid matching. Once bid matching was complete, the Director of Greek Affairs (who could not understand the Green Book in any capacity, nor wished to listen to those who could explain it) called out names eligible for snap bidding, and whichever alum snapped her fingers first got her.

I wish I was making this up. Probably the most ridiculous thing I've done.

I believe that process has since been remedied.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have never attended a bid matching that involved collegians.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

This conjures up such a vivid mental image of the scene: a set of alumnae with their fingers poised to snap, each looking anxiously at the collegiate members who were pouring over their written notes from recruitment, waiting for each name to be called. The tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife, as each designated alumna "snapper" tries to be the first to snap after the desirable names are called but still get the go-ahead signal from her collegiate sisters.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
Oh, my goodness! i could have written this exact post word for word with one of the small commuter schools for which I used to be the Recruitment Supervisor (hand bid matching and all). It would get extremely complicated, because usually there would only be 1 or 2 spots to snap bid for each chapter, and just about every PNM that went through recruitment was on each chapter's snap bid list, just in different orders. So, PNM A may be ABC's #1 snap bid, but #3 on DEF's list. But, PNM A wanted DEF more than ABC, so would have to wait until DEF's #1 and #2 declined, but those 2 may have wanted ABC, who was waiting on PNM A to decide. Yes, it was as confusing as it sounds! (Because you can't really have an inexperienced Greek Life advisor call and say tactfully, "you have a bid right now from ABC, and you're on DEF's list but not as high and they want other girls more than they want you, so if those girls turn them down then you may have a bid to DEF…")
Been there, done that, same campus. And it was just like you described!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
And yet it always seems to leak out which groups took snap bids at the big, competitive recruitments :-)
It helps when it's done early before the bids are issued as in written out.