GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,422
1 members and 1,421 guests
sdneyttso2029

Old 12-08-2001, 11:19 AM

A Tale of Two Chapters

Betas and Phi Delts -- two large, respected and popular national fraternities and members of the fabled "Miami Triad" (both founded at Miami of Ohio, along with Sigma Chi) -- and two chapters in trouble for very serious violations of fraternity rules, university regulations and local laws. Chapters who are taking distinctly different approaches.

The Beta chapters takes a proactive approach toward dealing with its' alleged problems by adopting sanctions and working with local police, the university and the national office.

The Phi Delts take a defensive posture and a beligerent attitute toward the university and in the newspaper. (See articles on this on the Iowa Phi Delts thread) The Chapter Advisor allegedly making potentially unwise comments.

Also, two very different reactions from school administrations. One waiting to see if the chapter and nationals will take the necessary steps to deal with the problems -- the other ready to close down the entire Greek System. Two university administrators with completely different mindsets.

Two public relations nightmares allegedly caused collectively by alcohol, drugs and hazing. Also, two Nationals with simultaneous issues at several schools right now.

So, think about it. Who is doing a better job of preserving its' chapter? Which article is more positive? Which local group is more likely to survive? Think about the number of other chapters who are in trouble at the moment.

How do these things affect the Greek System as a whole with the university administrations, the media and the rest of the country?

Think about it.

Ann Arbor News
December 5, 2001

U-M fraternity to ban alcohol
By AMALIE NASH

Beta Theta Pi, involved in an investigation of a reported sexual
assault, voluntarily adopts policy.

A University of Michigan fraternity accused of hosting an
unregistered party at which two freshmen women reported they might have been drugged and sexually assaulted has decided to adopt an alcohol-free policy, its local chapter announced.

Beta Theta Pi, 604 S. State St., placed itself on social probation
following the Oct. 25 party and said Monday that it will become
alcohol free before the beginning of the winter semester. The local chapter also is working with the national office on long-term
directives or sanctions as a result of the incident, said Mike
Kokkinen, Beta Theta Pi's director of risk management.

"We were waiting for the substance-free policy to become public and then decide whether there's anything in addition that we need to do," said Mary Beth Seiler, director of the Office of Greek Life at U-M. "It's an excellent decision to be substance free and I hope they become a leader on campus for that."

The penalty for throwing an unregistered party would be social
probation, but that wasn't imposed since the chapter took that
initiative on its own, Seiler said.

Meanwhile, Ann Arbor Police continue to investigate the first report of a sexual assault at the house, but the second report has been closed because the woman who reported it did not want to follow through, Sgt. Michael Logghe said.

Both reports involved 18-year-old U-M students who attended the party. The first report was taken Oct. 26 when a woman went to the hospital and said she may have been sexually assaulted, police said. That case will eventually be turned over to the county prosecutor's office for review, Logghe said.

A second woman came to the police department the following week and told detectives a similar story. She told police that she did not want to pursue it further, Logghe said. Police did not find any evidence of anyone being drugged at the party, officials said.

In a formal statement, the local office said Beta Theta Pi regrets
the violation of the social policy. It said its members made the
decision to adopt alcohol-free living.

"Regardless of the outcome of this continuing investigation, we
apologize to the rest of the Greek community and to the university community as a whole," the statement said. "Š we intend to learn from what happened and commit to the rededication of our founding principles."

__________________________________________________ ______________________
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:33:02 -0800
Subject: Re: National chapter sanctions Phi Delta Theta fraternity

Looks like Phi Delts around the country get a slap on the wrist for hazing.

----- Original Message -----
To: <afanewsclips@yahoogroups.com>; <fraternalnews@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 11:31 PM
Subject: [fraternalnews] National chapter sanctions Phi Delta Theta
fraternity

Associated Press
December 6, 2001

National chapter sanctions Phi Delta Theta fraternity

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- A University of Iowa fraternity has been placed on probation by its national leadership as university officials and police investigate hazing allegations.

Oxford, Ohio-based Phi Delta Theta handed down the probation and a dozen other sanctions including a $1,000 payment to the national organization and increased restrictions on the fraternity house. The restrictions are to remain in place through the end of 2002.

Iowa City Police launched an investigation after receiving a
complaint from a former member Friday, which alleges multiple
occasions of forced binge drinking, accusations of verbal and
physical abuse, sleep and food deprivation and claims that some members encouraged pledges to smoke marijuana.

Fraternity officials deny most of the allegations, admitting only to voluntary alcohol use and possible underage drinking.

Phi Delta Theta instituted a no-alcohol policy at all its houses in
February 1997.

Marc Mores, national director of charter services, has said some
activities during the 2000-2001 school year could be considered
hazing, but no recent incidents have been confirmed.

The house has 46 active members and 16 pledges.

University officials said they will finalize their investigation and
decide on whether to take independent action against the fraternity by Monday.

The sanctions require the local chapter to develop a written,
eight-week pledge program, go on a "brotherhood retreat" with
national leadership early next year and have 85 percent of its
membership watch an alcohol education video.

Alcohol is banned from all pledge activities, and an ongoing
restriction prohibiting pledges from being in the house remains in place. All social events are canceled for the remainder of the year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2001, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

With Respect, I Disagree

The Chronicle of Higher Education published a widely-circulated essay acknowledging that much of the conflict between GLOs and university administrations stems from the built in animosity between traditionally left-wing university types and traditionally conservative fraternity/sorority members. Of course, that doesn't excuse a moron forcing a pledge to drink, or lend suspicion to an administrator sincerely trying to prevent fights. However, in too many cases the pre-disposition of an admisitration is to bully the GLOs and act sanctimonious for the public's eye. Too many administrators impose on GLOs rules which are blantly, obviously illegal, but they get away with it because the undergraduates have no idea that they don't have to put up with it. Case in point is the latest episode at Auburn where two traditionally white fraternities held Halloween parties where photos were taken and published of costumes that were at least tasteless and at worst racist. One fraternity (maybe both, I don't know) did as you suggested. They were honest, remorseful; they kicked out members and they stood in front of the offended traditionally Black fraternity and apologized. What they did that those photos revealed was stupid, destructive of good relations, hurtful and offensive. What it was not, however, was illegal. The University knows this, and the (cowardly?) national offices know it too. Yet the university collapsed into self-righteous fenzy and expelled the students and the fraternities. No due process. Nothing. The fraternities (one or both) have now filed a $300 million civil rights suit against Auburn, and the guess here is that there will be a settlement with Auburn the loser. All of Auburn's posturing and pontificating was for public consumption. Auburn's attorneys surely know the truth. It would have been better handled if the administration had brought the fraternities together with Black groups and allowed the whole episoide to have a good ending with positive results. I live in Florida and it is interesting that the situation at Auburn would probably never happen in Florida because of the large numbers of Hispanics, Asians and Blacks who are members of traditional IFC fraternities on the state's major campusses. Auburn's fraternities would probably benefit from the same sort of diversity, but now it is unlikely that much will be done in that direction because of the confrontational, adversarial atmosphere that has been created by the administration. My point is that GLOs need to be aware of their responsibilities if we are going to survive. But also, they need to be very aware of their rights under the Constiutution so they will not be bullied out of existence by people who simply do not like their politics. Sometimes, you can do all the 'right' things, and it won't make any difference to people who consider themselves your enemies.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Where do I fit in then? I'm a left wing/liberal fraternity type. Anyway, politics aside, I side with the gGreeks. (both big G and little g). Although, yeah Phi Delts' advisor sounds like a jerk head. Good job for the Betas, for aparently having a good PR major in their chapter. Oh...as far as politics are concered, I am a Liberal (big L on purpose) Patriot. I will not be anyones storm trooper, no matter where on the spectrum their agenda lies.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:34 PM

Well, to be perfectly honest, I've read several things about Phi Delt that make me think the big kahunas running the show are not all there.

even with going alcohol free, I keep seeing their name crop up again & again for hazing stuff, etc. IMHO they thought the alcohol free would be a quick fix and then everyone would pat them on the back and leave them alone. They addressed one issue without addressing the others. Now it's like they are saying "well we WENT alcohol free and made this oh so big sacrifice, so if we want to be a-holes we should be entitled." This is one of the reasons I hate the concept of alcohol free housing, by the way.

I don't know if this is coming across the right way, but it's in no way a personal attack since I've never met a Phi Delt in my life. Just the impression I have gotten of them through the news.

However, as far as that guy at Iowa, if he was hazed so badly, I question why he didn't report it till he didn't make grades and got KICKED OUT. He's definitely got an axe to grind on that score. That doesn't mean there definitely wasn't any hazing - but they need to consider the source when investigating it.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-09-2001 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:34 AM

Point well taken on this pledge guy, but it sounds like there are a couple others who will probably confirm his story.

Someone needs to put a muzzle on the Chapter Advisor. Talk about trying to put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it. Geez.

And the university VP sounds like a real piece of work, too.

What a mess.

As for the Phi Delts, they were a bunch of animals when I was in school, and they've been closed and recolonized a couple of times since. But, as we all know, chapters vary greatly from school to school. Their International President (at that time) spoke to our Karnea (international conference) a couple years ago (about dry housing) and was a pretty good guy. Local Dentist here in Colorado.

Somene should take away my ( ) buttons, parenthetically speaking. That last paragraph is a disaster.

But right now, it seems like you hear a lot about them and the Betas and the Pikes. Could be just coincidence.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

perfect solution

Just lock the VP guy and the chapter advisor guy in a room and let them fight it out. That way we will have at least one less moron to worry. Maybe they can finish each other off, and they'll both be out of the picture. There I go, being an optimist again.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:34 PM

OPrime...

And they say all the diplomats are at the UN.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Sometimes I begin to think that the young people who go to college in this day and age do not use their heads. They get away from mommy and daddy and go be nutsoid!

It has become a society of you cannot touch me so I will do what I want to do! WAWA!

This thing of hazing by beating or Alchol Abuse is totally uncalled for and can do much damage not only to the individual, the Fraternity/Soroity, but to Greekdom total!

The law of the land tightens around the neck of us all and some of these instances do nothing but to prove the naysayers right.!

I was there when they thought paddleing was the meaning of Brotherhood! I would not put up with is and to this day do not!

I have faith in the majority of the young people who are joing our Houses, but there is always some moron out there who does the wrong thing and sometimes there are those that will follow!

We are not all leaders, as there are many followeres who go along so they wont rock the boat! Shame on them!

If I EVER SAW ONE OF MY BROTHERS GET PHYSICALLY ABUSSIVE, He would not know what happened to HIM!

Well enuff of that! My peace is said!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-10-2001, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks DeltAlum.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:31 PM

Phi Delts

I wish i would stop hearing about Phi Delt and this crap happening all the time. It seems like we just keep getting in trouble. Our house in on the way back up after getting reinstated in fall 1999, we're up to 22 now from an original 4, sometimes i wish my bros would just stop and think what they were doing. Its just so lame because they give our entire organization a black eye with this stuff.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:01 PM

CalTheta,

First, congratulations to you and your brothers. That's a long, hard process you're going through.

Second, we all know that all fraternities have widely varying chapters -- some great, some not so good. Most of us try not to paint all chapters with the same brush.

It seems to me that these things go in cycles. For a few months we heard awful things about the Pikes -- right now it seems to be the Phi Delts and Betas.

These are not bad nationals. (Even though they were founded at Miami of Ohio -- but that's another story. Arch rivals)

Who knows who it will be next?

I've not seen Delt mentioned badly in FraternalNews yet, but I have this tiny dread every time I open it because, in my heart I know that we can't be squeaky clean -- although we certainly try hard as alumni advisors.

As a system, we simply have to abolish hazing and alcohol abuse before the colleges and universities abolish us. Or before we shoot ourselves in the head and can't get insurance anymore. We've certainly proven that we're good at shooting ourselves in the foot.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:29 PM

DeltAlum,

Thanks, it is hard but we'll do it, im sure. What you say about differing chapters is very true. I hope we all just get our act together. On a side note our school's chancellor is a Delt, and the Delts colonized 2 years ago, from what i hear they're doing ok but some of the guys arent too happy about not receiving a charter yet.
Old 08-31-2002, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GAGammaPhi1321
CalThetaPhi536,

I totally agree with that idea that some of our chapters give us a bad name. I think that something has to be done, but each chapter has its ways and those will not change. The Phi Delt chapter that I am part of(GA Gamma) has had it's charter for 130 straight years, since 1872, without ever losing it. But every chapter has its ups and downs and we did in the early 90s but we were reorganized. Maybe these other chapters should think about that and that maybe them being caught for hazing violations and alcohol violations will turn them into a better chapter in the long run.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiDeltUCI
Man, This is an old thread. Anyways, whats up GAGammaPhi, i used to be CalThetaPhi but i lost the account somehow, so this is my new one. Its nice to see more brothers on here, for such a large national, we have very little representation. Our chapter was at 29 at the end of last year but grads killed us, we're at 18 now, but with any luck this fall is gonna be a huge rush for us Drop me a line at phidelt536@cox.net or on AIM at StartingLine536, its always good to hear from brother Phi's
Old 09-08-2002, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PandaOnProzac
I really respect the Phi Delts on campus at UCI for being really clean. When I asked their Sweetheart which fraternity she recommends she told me Phi Delta Theta.