GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,464
3 members and 1,461 guests
g41965, gatordeltapgh

Old 01-17-2019, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I need advice!!

Hi all! I am planning on transferring from my community College to a university (cmu) for fall semester. I started at my community College while I was still in high school so I am only 19 now (this will be helpful for later). I want to rush as a transfer student. I will have 48 credits transfer so technically I'm a junior however I will still have to be at cmu for 3-3.5 years in order to complete the requirements for my major. I've read so many things online that speak negatively about rushing as a junior/transfer student since they are older and will have less years in the sorority as the freshman who are rushing. However I'm still 19 and will hypothetically have 3.5 years in the sorority. Do you think my chances are better because of that? I am really just looking for some positivity because I'm trying not to let what everyone else is saying discourage me. Thank you so much!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 PM

What CMU are we talking about?

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Central Michigan University
Old 01-17-2019, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm not an expert about that particular campus, but I can tell you that if you don't rush that's a guarantee to not receive a bid. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know anything about CMU, but I find the upperclassman/transfer discrimination tends to be at its highest at really competitive schools - think SEC, Indiana, places where there's a large number of PNM's and a large Greek system.

How large is the Greek system at CMU and how competitive is it? Do you know any girls there already? I'd try to get to know as many as possible so you can built relationships with them (this is good advice even if you were a freshman) and hopefully have a better shot. And for what it's worth, I've known girls who were sophomores get into sororities at Ole Miss, one of the most competitive Greek systems in the country. It can and does happen.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

There are 11 Sororities there. The girls are very competitive considering it's a school of 18,000 students. I have 2 friends who are in Delta Zeta.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I would try and get letters of recommendation for each chapter. Have the women writing the letters discuss your particular circumstances in a very positive way. I, for one, would appreciate your maturity. I have seen many fraternities on the campus I advise take members of the military who have returned from active duty. They are a little older and more mature. They serve as an asset to the chapters.