GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,448
3 members and 1,445 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Sell them. They take up space and quickly become obsolete as more current books take their place. If you need reference materials in the future, your employer can order them for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I think I held on to maybe two or three college textbooks (none of which were in my major) and maybe one or two books from law school. All of the others were sold.
Agreed with the bold.

In my major (marketing), there are a few principles that still hold true (ex. 4 Ps), but the industry changes so rapidly that most of the "best practices" that are mentioned become useless within a year.

The books that I kept after graduating were "leisure" books from a reading or poetry class that I took. I held on to them so that I could re-read them and digest the information without the stress of "OMG I HAVE A TEST ABOUT THIS TOMORROW"

Last edited by knight_shadow; 04-30-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Mathematics major here.

I don't think I sold *any* of the books in mathematics major back, but did so for many of the books outside my major. Up until my senior year, I was intending to go to Grad School and so kept them as idea sources for areas of concentration. My senior year I decided I had enough of school and decided to get a job in Computer Programming (which I had sort of kept as a minor)...

In the higher level mathematics courses (beyond Differential Equations) the use of specific textbooks tended to be spotty (the courses weren't necessarily offered two semesters in a row and different profs chose to use different text books.

The ultimate in "non-sellability" was the professor in General Topology (Grad level course) who decided that he wanted to use a book he owned printed in the 1920s as his primary textbook (and yes, this can be done in Mathematics) and tracked down the company who owned the copyright for the book. (The original publisher had been bought out a long time ago). While they weren't willing to print the book, they were willing to let the Professor make copies.

I still enjoy paging through my mathematics text books, but know I won't be able to get too deep in them unless I'm willing to sit down and do the proofs in them. (I'm talking things like Topology, Graph Theory and Projective Geometry).
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

I've keep my books. Great reference material.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I got rid of all of my books because I hated my majors.

But, when I still liked them, I sold the gen-ed books, like Calculus, and passed the major specific ones down the chapter. I don't know if that's just my helpful nature, but I always felt that younger guys could use my books more than I could.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Keeping my gen ed, music, and education books weren't worth it, but I'm glad I kept my English handbook, atlas (great classroom resource), and children's books.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I am selling the child development book. Even if I continue with psychology, I know I don't want to go into child psychology. I hated the class, and it's worth at least $80 on Amazon. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I kept a few major anthologies (Chaucer, Shakespeare, American Literature) in which I had written in the margins. The works in my Chaucer anthology were published in Middle English and I had translated nearly the entire anthology word-for-word (or phrase-by-phrase), and all of my writing books (creative writing, style books and handbooks, editing, etc.).

Interestingly, I have referred to many of my college "text books" at some point over the past 20 years for both work and personal writing.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a little kid, we use to visit my aunt's in Perth Amboy, NJ. I always stayed in my cousin's room because he was away at college and was in awe of the big bookcase filled with all of his books. My aunt explained that they were his college books and it was the tradition to keep all of the ones in your major.

I also remembered that there was a nice black mug with a gold shield on it at the top of the bookcase, which really impressed me because I was into knights at the time.

When I went to college, my experience was different than Naraht's in that most of my Math courses were two semesters long and there was one book for both semesters. Especially in grad school when I had two semesters of Real Analysis, Modern Algebra, Topology, Mathematical Logic and Numerical Analysis.

I still have all of my Math books and I also have a nice black mug with a TKE coat of arms, just like my cousin.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofM-TKE View Post
When I was a little kid, we use to visit my aunt's in Perth Amboy, NJ. I always stayed in my cousin's room because he was away at college and was in awe of the big bookcase filled with all of his books. My aunt explained that they were his college books and it was the tradition to keep all of the ones in your major.

I also remembered that there was a nice black mug with a gold shield on it at the top of the bookcase, which really impressed me because I was into knights at the time.

When I went to college, my experience was different than Naraht's in that most of my Math courses were two semesters long and there was one book for both semesters. Especially in grad school when I had two semesters of Real Analysis, Modern Algebra, Topology, Mathematical Logic and Numerical Analysis.

I still have all of my Math books and I also have a nice black mug with a TKE coat of arms, just like my cousin.
Do *you* have a young cousin who is into knights?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Do *you* have a young cousin who is into knights?
Kinda'. My cousin's son is a Sigma Chi and they are into the Norman Shield thing.