GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,586
0 members and 1,586 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Just another Rec Question

Hey all,
I know there's been quite a few threads about recs so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something, but I have read many of them and I don't think I am. I will be a sophomore next year and I'm planning on rushing at Clemson. I am an out of state student, but I have been pretty involved on campus this year and I am confidedent that my grades won't be an issue. I want to get ahead of the game for next year, and I have started to find rec writers; I'm hoping to get two for every group on campus. My question is, does who writes the recommendations make a difference to the chapter, or does it simply matter that you have a recommendation. Like would an alum be better than an active or would someone from the south or an area where the chapter is considered 'stronger' make more of an impression? Also would an alum from clemson be the best? Thank you for any advice and sorry if I'm overthinking this!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Paging clemsongirl!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Clemsongirl will have the best answer for her campus, but in my experience with chapters on various campuses( but not Clemson), I would have to say it was most important to have a rec by someone who knows you personally and can speak on your good character and attributes.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Many sororities do not allow collegians to write recommendations, but some do. If an active member is allowed to write a rec, they are generally not allowed to write one for her own chapter. HURRY on those recs! Ideally, you want them submitted before school is out for the summer. Best of luck!! Come back and give us a rush story when it is all over! :-)
Old 04-07-2017, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much atllady! I have some people who have agreed to help me but I was under the impression (I don't know why) that I shouldn't submit recs until I had registered for recruitment. I will get right on it thanks!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the paging, everyone! Clemson isn't hypercompetitve like Ole Miss or Bama-one rec per chapter from a writer who knows you is fine. My chapter didn't assign any special weight to the chapter the woman was from.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Before school is out?
That's pushing it TOO much. Many girls haven't decided about sign up for recruitment yet....many aren't even aware there are sororities!
Midsummer is fine.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everybody, thanks for all the advice! I just wanted to add a quick update/second question: I've secured recommendations for almost every sorority on campus through my family, friends, and a few alumni associations. However, I am still missing one or two. I will definitely keep looking on my own and asking around, but do y'all think it would be ok to reach out to alumni associations near my school? I understand that it is not optimal and I would completely get it if that would be considered inappropriate, so I'm just wondering if it's an option.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

You would need to reach out to people in your home area - not your school. Have you asked everyone who is doing a rec if they know anyone in the groups you still need? That's the first place to start. Next, check to see if there is an alumnae panhellenic in your area and register with them. Then locate the nearest alumnae chapter for the orgs you need. That is the order you should be doing this.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Several years back, I was an officer on the board of our local Panhellenic Association. Every once in awhile, I would get a request from a local pnm who wanted to meet and "interview" so that I could complete a rec.

I would invite them over and talk to them about their activities, aspirations, etc. as well as share insight into the responsibilities of membership. I wrote several recommendations for these women.

I appreciated that they took the initiative to seek me out and come to see me to discuss the process. Ideally, your sponsor has known you for a period of time. But, if you simply can't find anyone that fits that bill, networking through the local Panhellenic would be better than nothing.