GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,222
0 members and 2,222 guests
No Members online

Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Western Kentucky University Sigma Kappa dies after collapsing

WKU student dies after collapsing in dorm
The Associated Press

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. -- A freshman at Western Kentucky University has died after collapsing at a residence hall.

The university said in a statement Tuesday that 18-year-old Laura Chaney of Florence died Monday morning at the Medical Center after collapsing at Gilbert Hall.

She was a communications studies major and a member of Sigma Kappa sorority.

There is a memorial planned at Downing University Center on Wednesday morning.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Laura was my sister and our chapter has been deeply affected by her loss. She was an infectiously happy young woman and a great asset to Sigma Kappa. She will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her.

The Greek community has been tremendously supportive of us during this time and we greatly appreciate that.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I was so sorry to hear about this. What a tragic loss of a wonderful sister.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Deepest condolences going out to her SK sisters and her families.

What caused her collapse?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to psychdesire Send a message via MSN to psychdesire Send a message via Yahoo to psychdesire
so sorry for your loss. My condolences.
Someone called me their hero today, because I refuse to get hype about graduation OR to just limit my talents to four years. I am pursuing another year of college because I feel I am not ready (skilled enough) in subjects I should be skilled in - How amazing is this
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Press Release

Sigma Kappa Mourns the Passing of Epsilon Zeta Sister

Indianapolis, IN – It is with great sadness that Sigma Kappa Sorority has learned of the death of one of our collegiate members. Laura Chaney, Epsilon Zeta, Western Kentucky University, died Monday morning, May 11, 2009, of natural causes after collapsing in her residence hall.

Sigma Kappa would like to extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Laura. She loved Sigma Kappa and lived the values of the Sorority to the fullest. The Epsilon Zeta Chapter is devastated by this loss. “She without a doubt had every character trait and quality that exemplifies Sigma Kappa,” said Charlotte Elder, Epsilon Zeta advisory board chairman.

Chaney, a Western Kentucky University freshman from Florence, Kentucky, was a communications studies major and was also involved in International Business Communicators. A memorial is planned for 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, May 13, 2009, in Downing University Center on campus. The details of the family arrangements are not yet available.

Cards and chapter condolences can be sent to Charlotte Elder, 1864 Mt. Lebanon Church Road, Alvaton, KY 42122. Charlotte will be sharing the information with the chapter as well as Laura’s family.

Members and chapters wishing to honor Laura are encouraged to make a donation to the Sigma Kappa Foundation in her name.
####

Our prayers go out to all our Epsilon Zeta sisters, and to the Chaney family.