GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,077
1 members and 1,076 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Sheesh. Too big for me. I don't know how they have chapter meetings and not violate fire codes.

What makes you think they don't violate it - of course they do! Fire code is the reason they had to add more rush parties a couple of years ago - between the chapter members and the rushees, the fire marshall was freaking out.

The number I've heard for quote is around 75 for freshmen.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
(Putting on swami turban) I predict quota will probably be around 70 to 75...I think last year it was 80 or 82...you can see why UA brought in Alpha Phi last year and is scheduled to bring in another sorority.

Ole Miss hit a quota of around 92 a year or two ago.

Sheesh. Too big for me. I don't know how they have chapter meetings and not violate fire codes.
When you say quota, do you mean just the freshman quota or the overall quota including the upperclassman quota? Because I think for rush in 2007, the freshman quota (the one I hear that's official) was 73 and the upperclassman quota was 7 for an overall unofficial quota of 80 and this year's total number signed up is a little higher than 2007 (although of course there's now one more sorority).

BTW, I think last years' Ole Miss quota was 84, it may well have been 92 shortly before that.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Skit Day

I heard skit day went very well at every house today. Tomorrow is a big day, Preference Day. The girls can visit up to three houses. Good luck to all. Zillini do you know what the quotes are for each house this year?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
When you say quota, do you mean just the freshman quota or the overall quota including the upperclassman quota? Because I think for rush in 2007, the freshman quota (the one I hear that's official) was 73 and the upperclassman quota was 7 for an overall unofficial quota of 80 and this year's total number signed up is a little higher than 2007 (although of course there's now one more sorority).

BTW, I think last years' Ole Miss quota was 84, it may well have been 92 shortly before that.
Overall.
Do you mean 2008? Instead of 2007? I had understood (thanks to Zillini) that the total amount starting was roughly the same as 2008...maybe a dozen or so less. Or more. But roughly the same.
Yes, having another sorority to put into the equation will definitely affect numbers.
I believe Ole Miss' quota was 92 a couple or three years ago.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I don't write as many recs as I used to, but when I was writing them hardcore, I always noticed that the GPAs for women going to Alabama and Auburn were a little lower than those headed to UF and UGa, in part because the Florida and Georgia schools are so much more competitive now because of Bright Futures and the HOPE scholarships. I'd imagine that if Alabama had a similar program, then the GPAs would be a little higher too.

As far as US News goes, I always thought Alabama was ranked higher than 83rd. UF is in the low 50s--definitely not the highest-ranked state school, but I believe it's the highest-ranked in the SEC.
This typically true for me to as far as the GPA trend. I think you've IDed the reason for it too. But the one I saw this year seemed really low, and it wasn't as if she had amazing test scores to compensate. It was strange. I hope her rush went okay.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Overall.
Do you mean 2008? Instead of 2007? I had understood (thanks to Zillini) that the total amount starting was roughly the same as 2008...maybe a dozen or so less. Or more. But roughly the same.
Yes, having another sorority to put into the equation will definitely affect numbers.
I believe Ole Miss' quota was 92 a couple or three years ago.
No, I mean 2007. I remember seeing that 1410 signed up for Alabama sorority rush that year as opposed to last years' record of 1604. Also, I remember Zillini saying on this thread last year that freshman quota at Bama' was 78 and upperclassman quota 8 for an overall total of 86. Assuming all this is true, a 70 to 75 overall quota would seem like quite a steep drop; but that number does sound about right for freshman quota this year.

Perhaps interestingly, back to the Ole Miss quota thing, I remember a couple of years ago OleMissGlitter giving on this board the total number of women signed up for Ole Miss sorority recruitment year-by-year since about 2000. I think 2003 was the record year for Ole Miss sorority rush, that year about 900 girls signed up. According to a Daily Mississippian article that year "About 1,500 join greek organizations", quota was 86 with all nine sororities at Ole Miss making quota. In that record year at Ole Miss, quota was exactly equal to Alabama's overall last year, although Ole Miss doesn't currently have an upperclassman quota. But if I remember right from OleMissGlitter's numbers, about 890 girls signed up for Ole Miss sorority rush in 2006, so yeah, maybe quota was 92 that year. If so, sounds like Ole Miss Panhellenic had a really good year with placement!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Overall quota

AnchorAlumna, actually after thinking about Alpha Phi's presence affecting the equation a little more, an overall quota of 70 to 75 isn't quite as steep a drop as I thought moments ago. You may very well be right on target!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Yikes! Being a true blue Yankee, I don't have any connections or reasons to follow the Southern rush threads, but this year, and friend who moved down South asked me to help her find recs for her daughter, who is rushing at Bama - she was able to get all the rest herself, and just needed help on those last two

As someone from a family where no one went to college before my generation, and as someone whose mom's friends hadn't gone to college, much less participated in Greek life, I am firmly opposed to the idea of recs. Rationalize away, but in the end, they are nothing but a way of keeping girls from families that didn't go to college OUT of the system. Yes, an enterprising girl from a non-college family can solicit teachers, etc, to help, but the deck is totally stacked in favor of girls with moms who were Greek know how to work the system (like my friend). I was lucky that I went to Penn State, and that most of the girls my sorority were first generation Greeks, so it wasn't an issue for me.

But when asked to help, I bit my tongue, and lined up my girlfriends to write those recs. Her daughter is going where she's going, recs are required, and me being pissy about them won't change the system. When in Rome, I guess.

But the concept is still elitist, and still sucks.

Last edited by LionTamer; 08-15-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTamer View Post
Yikes! Being a true blue Yankee, I don't have any connections or reasons to follow the Southern rush threads, but this year, and friend who moved down South asked me to help her find recs for her daughter, who is rushing at Bama - she was able to get all the rest herself, and just needed help on those last two

As someone from a family where no one went to college before my generation, and as someone whose mom's friends hadn't gone to college, much less participated in Greek life, I am firmly opposed to the idea of recs. Rationalize away, but in the end, they are nothing but a way of keeping girls from families that didn't go to college OUT of the system. Yes, an enterprising girl from a non-college family can solicit teachers, etc, to help, but the deck is totally stacked in favor of girls with moms who were Greek know how to work the system (like my friend).

But when asked to help, I bit my tongue, and lined up my girlfriends to write those recs. Her daughter is going where she's going, recs are required, and me being pissy about them won't change the system. When in Rome, I guess.

As a fellow Yankee... I definitely see where you're coming from, and I agree to some extent.

On the other hand - chapters at my school very, very rarely receive or use recs. For 200+ girls going through last year, I think we only got 3 recs/resumes (and it seems like they're more to indulge Greek friends of the family who want to write them). But I really wish we did get them, because it's so hard to decide whether or not to offer membership based on a few 20-minute conversations alone. More info would so helpful. As weird as it sounds, I wish recs could come from any reputable source, whether or not they're Greek - kind of like college admissions. It would open things up for women with no Greek connections and allow PNMs to get recs from people who really know them, like teachers or religious leaders, as opposed to greek women they have to go hunting for.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you're downplaying the idea that membership is intentionally selective.

I don't mean intentionally elitist, necessarily, but that GLOs want to offer membership to people they know to be worthy, as much as possible. If a school has deferred recruitment, it's easier to get to know a girl well, but for most recuitments where recs are big, often recruitment is held before school even starts.

I'd rather offer membership to people based partially on what alumnae can say about them, rather than just the short conversations during parties.

And, it's not as if a girl is limited to her own family in securing recs, so "Rationalize away, but in the end, they are nothing but a way of keeping girls from families that didn't go to college OUT of the system" is just plain inaccurate.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-15-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As someone from a family where no one went to college before my generation, and as someone whose mom's friends hadn't gone to college, much less participated in Greek life, I am firmly opposed to the idea of recs. Rationalize away, but in the end, they are nothing but a way of keeping girls from families that didn't go to college OUT of the system. Yes, an enterprising girl from a non-college family can solicit teachers, etc, to help, but the deck is totally stacked in favor of girls with moms who were Greek know how to work the system (like my friend). I was lucky that I went to Penn State, and that most of the girls my sorority were first generation Greeks, so it wasn't an issue for me.

I am a Yankee by birth (born in Newport, Rhode Island, with TONS of family scattered throughout Mass and my great uncle x 11 came over on the Mayflower!) but having lived in the south for almost two decades, well, I feel compelled to respond to your statement, LionTamer, that the concept of recs is elitest and sucks. I must respectfully disagree.

I am not going to rationalize anything to you but I will say that I think you are not being as open-minded as most Yankees are (or think they are).

Recs are actually NOTHING more than letters of introduction. You know, like letters of introduction that happen in business every day. Those are not eltiest. Or like what your friends daughter undoubtedly had to get from her high school teachers, counselors, principal, administrators etc to accompany college applications or scholarship appplications. Those are not elitest.

I don't know where you live or, more importantly, where your friend and her daughter live, but there are groups called Alumnae Panhellenic Associations that help with recs regardless of whether the girls seeking them are first-time college-goers or not. You do have to go to the NPC website to find where the groups are if you are not already familiar with them in your community.

That all said, even though recs do help immensely, if a there is a mutual connnection between a sorority and a rec-less PNM, a bid will likely materialize.

I hope your friends daughter is having a successful/satisfying recruitment at Bama - today is prefs!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post

AnchorAlumna, actually after thinking about Alpha Phi's presence affecting the equation a little more, an overall quota of 70 to 75 isn't quite as steep a drop as I thought moments ago. You may very well be right on target!
Years of practice and self-denial lol!!!

Quote:
...I am firmly opposed to the idea of recs. Rationalize away, but in the end, they are nothing but a way of keeping girls from families that didn't go to college OUT of the system.
I disagree, and I, too, came from a family that had never been to college, and most of whose parents' friends had not, either.

Years ago, it was NOT required for the PNM to round up her own recs. The chapter got a list from Panhellenic and sent requests out to their alumnae (and it still works that way at the schools I work with). Now, the sheer numbers of girls going through recruitment dictates that they round 'em up themselves. We make it easy in our town with our alumnae panhellenic.

Most NPC groups require that a rec be on file before pref invitations are extended. I can assure you that if a sorority likes a girl enough, a rec will be found. It may be a chapter adviser signing it, or her rusher signing it, but the group will not let a small thing like no rec keep them from pledging her.

Groups that say "we don't do recs" usually have somebody willing to sign off somewhere along the line to fulfill their sorority's requirement.

And really and truly? Most of the time, a rec doesn't matter....BUT I have seen instances where it saved a group big trouble (and instances where ignoring a "no" rec bought them big trouble).

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-15-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I haven't been around to provide updates folks, but I simply didn't have the time. Or rather I should say when I did have any extra time I was trying to catch up on sleep. One night I did not get home until 6:30am.

The PNMs have signed their cards and the Bid Lists have been turned in. Quota range for Freshman was projected earlier today at 70-75 for Freshmen and about 5 for Upperclassmen.

Something very odd happened this year. In years past there has been a fairly steady flow of PNM withdrawals after each round. This year though they hung in there, but then there was a mass exodus during and after Pref. Very odd. I'll definately be asking if there are any reasons why.

Last I checked there were 1249 currently active PNMs. Bids will be revealed at noon on Sunday.

Good luck to all the PNMs and Chapters! Happy Bid Day everyone!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post

Something very odd happened this year. In years past there has been a fairly steady flow of PNM withdrawals after each round. This year though they hung in there, but then there was a mass exodus during and after Pref. Very odd. I'll definately be asking if there are any reasons why.

Odd. Perhaps there are alot of girls who weren't happy with who they had left. Maybe the Rho Chis are telling girls to stick it out through Pref, and advising them that they can drop out afterward if they still don't like their options?

Or there may be a rumor or something going around saying that you could drop out and get picked up through informal. This happened at my school once, but I doubt this would actually happen at Bama.

I don't know. This just my non-Bama girl theory.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-16-2009 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

On the same token, do you think that college and scholarship recommendations from teachers, headmasters, or coaches are "elitist"? Almost every organization--social and professional--I've joined after college has required some sort of sponsorship or recommendation from an existing member. You call it elitist, I call it the real world.