GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 963
0 members and 963 guests
No Members online

Old 12-22-2006, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

PNM question

Hi!
I am a freshman at Tulane University and when I get back from winter break I am going to participate in delayed/spring rush (I hope those are the right terms). I know very little about the rush process and I was wondering about recommendations. Are these necessary? I do not know many women who are/ have been in sororities and the few that I do are not in sororities that are represented on my campus. I have been reading the message boards and have seen reference to people requesting recommendations. I do not understand how this works. Is there another way to get a recommendation if I have extreme interest, but unfortunately do not know any women in sororities? Thank you so much in advance for any help or insight that anyone can provide.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Unregistered-

www.npcwomen.org

Check to see if there is an Alumnae Panhellenic in your area so you can be put in contact with someone who may be able to write you a recommendation. I'm a firm believer in knowing the Potential New Member when writing recs. In my opinion, I'd never write a recommendation for someone I met online. Hopefully the ladies in your nearest APH will be able to help. If recruitment starts soon, you better get going!

I'm not familiar with Tulane or whether or not recs are absolutely necessary, but it can't hurt to have one. Your best bet would be to call your Greek Life office and get more information there.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Also, if you do know women in sororities - even if THEIR sororities aren't the ones on your campus, they may know women who ARE in the sororities that are at Tulane.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Recommendations are a huge factor in the recruitment process yes you need them! Just do OTW told you to do and go to that website and contact an alum in area and get a recommendation. Good Luck During Recrutiment
Old 12-22-2006, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I'd enourage you to get recs if you can. They are not the end all, be all there, but it doesn't hurt. The recruitment style isn't as frantic as some other schools but that doesn't stop anyone from being nervous. Good luck to you.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa_babe View Post
Recommendations are a huge factor in the recruitment process yes you need them!
Way to stress out the PNM. Good job. Can you please stop acting like you know what you're talking about now??

Recs may be needed at UA or other super-competitive schools, but they're not a huge factor in the recruitment process everywhere. I don't think my undergrad would know what to do with a rec if they got one.

Tulane's only got 6 sororities. That doesn't scream "recs are imparative". It would be a good idea to get them for the orgs you can, but don't worry about it if you aren't able to get any.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Way to stress out the PNM. Good job. Can you please stop acting like you know what you're talking about now??

Tulane's only got 6 sororities. That doesn't scream "recs are imparative". It would be a good idea to get them for the orgs you can, but don't worry about it if you aren't able to get any.
Arkansas has 7 with probably 10,000 more people. How about you stick to what you think you know and go somewhere else.
My suggestion is join the one that had the girl from Real World on it, all the girls looked pretty cute.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, a friend of mine rushed there back in '99 with no recs, and did just fine (i.e. had a few choices, got released from a few). I have no idea if sororities have changes at all with Katrina, but my guess would be that you are fine without recs, as long as you don't have your heart set on one chapter.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Tulane Recruitment

I think you'll be fine but it won't hurt to have some recs. I think the chapters at Tulane are very good. Their houses are on Broadway off of St. Charles (or at least they use to be). I wouild definitely ask Greek Life or perhaps some friends who are going through Recruitment too. Just remember to be yourself, go through with an open mind, and have fun!

http://www.greek.tulane.edu/organizations.htm

http://www.tulane.edu/~panhell/index_files/Page543.htm

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 01-05-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: adding another website