GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,286
1 members and 2,285 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
However, I think the shorts and t-shirts my students wear to class will NOT be the norm for how they dress up recruitment t-shirts.
Do they still wear Nike shorts with recruitment t-shirts (from a past thread)?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2015, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
On what Southern campus are pearls currently a popular accessory worn with t-shirts?
Ditto here. None of my friends are considering wearing pearl necklaces with their t-shirt, and I don't recall seeing any in past recruitment photos of PNMs. Pearl stud earrings, yes. Gold necklaces, yes. Diamond/sapphire/ruby earrings, yes. But hey, I come from a place where pulling on a fancy pair of cowboy boots is considered "dressed up."
Old 08-10-2015, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

The shirt probably has a logo or images, and you will be wearing a functional name tag the first rounds, so I would skip a necklace and concentrate on earrings, bracelet and/or ring. Something you love that makes you smile.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is struggling with the idea of wearing a necklace with her t's. We scoured twitter and instagram for pictures from last years PNM's, and they all did indeed have necklaces on. No pearl necklaces, though. She asked her girlfriend last night (who is rushing at a neighboring school), and she concurred. While their entire friend group thinks necklaces look stupid...err silly, they are going to wear them siting the reason, "because everyone else's wears them." My daughter is still undecided.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Guess I'm just too Southern - I've worn necklaces with my tees for years...just not to the gym...
Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Do they still wear Nike shorts with recruitment t-shirts (from a past thread)?
To be honest, I lay low during recruitment week on campus. I try to be a nice professor who doesn't schedule tests or have projects due ... and with the large crowds walking around campus, I just steer clear of them. I don't really have a clue what they wear during recruitment.

They do, however, usually show up to class in Nike shorts and teeshirts from various socials. I'm always amazed how at nicely they clean up when I see them in The Grove tailgating before football games.

On the first class meeting, since my students are seniors, I always ask them to tell me something about them that I wouldn't know unless they told me. Invariably, I am told who is a recruitment chair and who is a Rho Chi ... and I also find out if anyone is expecting a baby before the semester is over.

As they told everyone at my new faculty orientation years ago, "At Ole Miss, Greek happens so get over it."
Old 08-11-2015, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

On the first class meeting, since my students are seniors, I always ask them to tell me something about them that I wouldn't know unless they told me. Invariably, I am told who is a recruitment chair and who is a Rho Chi ... and I also find out if anyone is expecting a baby before the semester is over.
LOL, my students are ALWAYS wearing letters on the first day of class.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
LOL, my students are ALWAYS wearing letters on the first day of class.
Our Panhellenic requires all sorority members to wear stitched letters when out in public and not actively working out before and during recruitment, so PNMs know not to talk to us and potentially cause recruitment infractions (I guess?). It lets all the professors know right away who's Greek and who isn't. Once recruitment is over we all switch right back to tank tops and Nike shorts.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I wear pearls all the time with everything and everyone loves it! It's fun and kind of "old school", but it makes my dd stand out when she wears them with t-shirts because she can tell them how they were a gift from her mom. Now we both wear them daily. It's our connection AND represents Sigma Kappa!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustAMom View Post
My daughter is struggling with the idea of wearing a necklace with her t's. We scoured twitter and instagram for pictures from last years PNM's, and they all did indeed have necklaces on. No pearl necklaces, though. She asked her girlfriend last night (who is rushing at a neighboring school), and she concurred. While their entire friend group thinks necklaces look stupid...err silly, they are going to wear them siting the reason, "because everyone else's wears them." My daughter is still undecided.
It's not a "gym wear" outfit. It's a nice summer outdoor party outfit. She should acessorize as she would for a casual, but nice summer BBQ. That should include whatever jewelry is appropriate for your region.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
It's not a "gym wear" outfit. It's a nice summer outdoor party outfit. She should acessorize as she would for a casual, but nice summer BBQ. That should include whatever jewelry is appropriate for your region.
How about a nice cross necklace?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How about a nice cross necklace?
If she's Christian.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumomm View Post
Well, I wear pearls all the time with everything and everyone loves it! It's fun and kind of "old school", but it makes my dd stand out when she wears them with t-shirts because she can tell them how they were a gift from her mom. Now we both wear them daily. It's our connection AND represents Sigma Kappa!
I don't mean to come off as snarky, but if you and dd are wearing pearls with everything, I hope you have a variety of pearl necklaces AND that you have scoured youtube to learn how to tie pearl knots and use French wire.

It's becoming harder and harder these days to have things re-strung. Last time I had my bracelet re-strung, I got it back with one half of the clasp on backward.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I recently received a new strand, however I have had pearls re-strung for about $30-40 dollars at my jewelers.