GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,525
2 members and 1,523 guests
babobygooglet93, navane

Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
You're really boring. And misogynistic.
I know im totes a part of the patriarchy!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Still don't see any chewing...

However, I think the issue is that PNMs aren't being fully educated on their options and what it means to list/not list.

Do, or don't. I don't care either way, but be informed on what your choice means for you.

Obviously, if you list, you should know that you COULD get a bid there (even if it's your 2nd or 3rd choice.) Sometimes Panhellenics will kind of gloss over this just tell you "you have to list ABC as your 2nd, but don't worry, PNMs usually get their 1st choice anyway." This is not always the case.

Same with not listing. If you're going to not list a chapter or 2, you need to be informed that it COULD lead to you not receiving a bid. If you've been told this (which I suspect that some PNMs aren't) it seems really silly to show up here like OMG WTF BBQ I GOT RELEASED when you knew it was totally possible...

I know every PNM who only lists one chapter wants to think "oh XYZ loves me so it'll all work out" but that's not always the case and you should be prepared for an unfavorable outcome.
Agreed. The issue is generally that they're coming back and complaining about the results even though they SHOULD have known better. The question is, whether they're really being educated so they DO know better.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

So does making bitch comments about bitch comments make someone part of the circle jerk of bitchiness? Or is there some kind of exception for blinding idiocy?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
So does making bitch comments about bitch comments make someone part of the circle jerk of bitchiness? Or is there some kind of exception for blinding idiocy?
probs
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that today's system of rushee's ranking their choices, then invitation lists being generated based on invitations is efficient, and ultimately provides the same result as actually handing the rushee all of the invitations she received and letting her sort through them. However, the less efficient system made it VERY clear that the dynamic of "mutual selection" consisted of sororities issuing invitations and rushees responding to those invitations.

In the dark ages, we were called to the Rush Counsellor's room one by one, and little cards with the names of the sororities that invited us to the next round were handed to us. If Toppa Toppa Heap did not invite you to round 2, there was no little card from them.

It was easy to see, for example, that I was invited to THESE TEN that I held in my own little hands, and NOT invited to the two that were missing. From those ten, I chose which 6 to attend for round two.

It was very clear in that system that the only "Cuts" you could make were in those rounds when your physical invites exceeded the number of parties you could attend. It was a visual, concrete reality that helped educate us on what was actually happening. I think it also fostered gratitude for those invitations rather than annoyance. THESE were your invitations--- period. Your name was handwritten on the card by someone in that sorority, and they were inviting you into their home.

Ranking encourages rushees to think they will never see their lower ranked chapters again. But if those are the chapters that are inviting them back, they will!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
I know that today's system of rushee's ranking their choices, then invitation lists being generated based on invitations is efficient, and ultimately provides the same result as actually handing the rushee all of the invitations she received and letting her sort through them. However, the less efficient system made it VERY clear that the dynamic of "mutual selection" consisted of sororities issuing invitations and rushees responding to those invitations.

In the dark ages, we were called to the Rush Counsellor's room one by one, and little cards with the names of the sororities that invited us to the next round were handed to us. If Toppa Toppa Heap did not invite you to round 2, there was no little card from them.

It was easy to see, for example, that I was invited to THESE TEN that I held in my own little hands, and NOT invited to the two that were missing. From those ten, I chose which 6 to attend for round two.

It was very clear in that system that the only "Cuts" you could make were in those rounds when your physical invites exceeded the number of parties you could attend. It was a visual, concrete reality that helped educate us on what was actually happening. I think it also fostered gratitude for those invitations rather than annoyance. THESE were your invitations--- period. Your name was handwritten on the card by someone in that sorority, and they were inviting you into their home.

Ranking encourages rushees to think they will never see their lower ranked chapters again. But if those are the chapters that are inviting them back, they will!!
You went through rush under the same system I did. I personally see no reason to rank the chapters each day, I prefer getting the invites and then make the decision which ones I want to attend should have have more invites than parties. Several times my feelings changed from bad to not so bad during the night as I had time to think about the events of the day.

DaffyKD
Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
I hate to be a PNM jumping in on a PNM situation, but I feel a strong need to say:

As someone who knows the feeling of being completely dropped from the whole process, posts like this make me feel a little sad.

I spent a lot of time convincing friends to give their new Greek homes a shot. I'm glad that many of them are doing just that, because, as I've read a million times on GC, you were selected for that house for a reason.

Anyway, I really don't like being the PNM who gets in the way of other PNMs, but still, I know what it's like to get "the" phone call, and it totally stinks, no matter how the story ultimately ends. It's a shame that some other girl got the phone call and couldn't receive a bid, while the OP has just given up her bid without even giving the new home a chance.
I was in the same situation and I agree with you 100%.

My roommate is in a sorority (as are almost all of my friends) and she always tells me how much she "hates" it and I always just roll my eyes. So many girls would love to be in your place! Even though you said that you didn't accept the bid, I really wish you would have... There were a few houses I didn't like and I put them at the bottom of my list on the first day we voted and now I wish I would've put them up higher after meeting so many of the great girls I have met that are members! You should have given them a chance...
Old 10-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:

The problem with that sort of system is that there are chapters that women won't want to look at or accept an invite from because of tent talk and erroneous reputations.

The current ranking system isn't the problem, it's the Greek life offices, Panhellenics and Rho Chis who don't explain it correctly. They need to make it crystal clear that PNMS CANNOT CUT CHAPTERS. The problem is no one wants to come out and say that because they're afraid of being politically incorrect.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-01-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 PM

I mentioned in the "cutting chapters" thread that I think Panhellenics don't come out and say it just because they don't want to intimidate the PNMs and cause them to drop out.

We say that recruitment is a mutual selection process, and that's true in a sense of bid matching. That's mutual.

However, I think the invite process is a little less mutual selection than Panhellenics like to admit. For most of recruitment, the balance of mututal selection is a little tilted in the direction of the chapters.

Lakers Nation.