GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,170
2 members and 2,168 guests
Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yet another GPA question- weighted?

Hello, My daughter graduated from a large Texas high school that used a weighted GPA based on a 5.0 scale-giving extra weight to AP courses. She has a 4.8. If this is converted to an unweighted 4.0 scale, it equates to a 3.5 which really doesn't reflect the difficulty of the courses she took.
Are the sororities generally familiar with the weighted GPAs and take this into account.
Thanks for any info.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAggieMom View Post
Hello, My daughter graduated from a large Texas high school that used a weighted GPA based on a 5.0 scale-giving extra weight to AP courses. She has a 4.8. If this is converted to an unweighted 4.0 scale, it equates to a 3.5 which really doesn't reflect the difficulty of the courses she took.
Are the sororities generally familiar with the weighted GPAs and take this into account.
Thanks for any info.
I think most are familiar with weighted GPAs. It *might* be taken into account and it *might not*. Your daughter has very good grades and she can't change them now, so give her a hug and a kiss and tell her to have fun at recruitment and if she's a likable, happy girl with a good attitude who maximizes all her options, I think she'll find a happy home.

fwiw, my child's HS is on a 5.0 scale, gives both "honors" and AP credit, lists five different GPAs on the transcript/report card: weighted 10-12, unweighted 10-12, weighted 9-12, unweighted 9-12 and a state grant GPA which I'm not even sure what classes that includes and excludes!!! It's maddening! out of a class of about 500, there were 125 graduates with a 4.25 or better. Three valedictorians with perfect GPAs. Three salutorians right behind them, and a marching band size group of kids with 4.0s. and they say that grade inflation doesn't exist. yeah. right.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I would imagine that if your daughter's school is well known in Texas, and she's at a Texas university (judging by your name, I can assume what school it is), then the chapters would know the academic reputation of her high school and consider that accordingly. Do many girls from her high school go to her school and/or join sororities?

Again, there is nothing that can be done about it now, so just encourage her to put her best self forward and good luck to her!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Texasaggiemom, I concur with blue carnation. If she's coming from a large Texas highschool, chances are, just about every house at A&M has at least one member from her highschool, and if not, they'll know about it and its competitiveness. (whew, long sentence)

Quote:
fwiw, my child's HS is on a 5.0 scale, gives both "honors" and AP credit, lists five different GPAs on the transcript/report card: weighted 10-12, unweighted 10-12, weighted 9-12, unweighted 9-12 and a state grant GPA which I'm not even sure what classes that includes and excludes!!! It's maddening! out of a class of about 500, there were 125 graduates with a 4.25 or better. Three valedictorians with perfect GPAs. Three salutorians right behind them, and a marching band size group of kids with 4.0s. and they say that grade inflation doesn't exist. yeah. right.
Our school (texas hs) is weird too, on a 6.0 scale unweighted, weighting of ap and honors, for max of 6.5 - Texas needs to standardize the scales!!!

Out of 450 seniors, there are going to be 32 "valedictorians" and 5 "salutitorians", which I find ridiculous!! Grade Inflation much???

edit to add - aggiemom, my best friend's daughter is the rush captain at one of the houses at A&M, they are all so excited for rush!!

Good luck to your daughter!!

Last edited by srmom; 08-19-2009 at 03:28 PM.