GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,282
1 members and 2,281 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 09-08-2006, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesrising
bumping because I'm helpful like that
You are helpful Mainly because your site has stuff on AXO of which I was not even aware!!!

As said earlier in the thread though, just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's next to unheard of for some groups! If you're a grad student that wants to rush and keep this in mind... then more power to you and good luck.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2006, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Graduate Students can't join in some schools

I just started my first year of grad school and really wanted to join a sorority. Unfortunately I learned from the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Affairs that graduate students were not allowed to participate in formal recruitment and could not pledge NPC sororities, either
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarleteriberry View Post
I just started my first year of grad school and really wanted to join a sorority. Unfortunately I learned from the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Affairs that graduate students were not allowed to participate in formal recruitment and could not pledge NPC sororities, either
If there are sororities at your school that admit grad students as pledges, you should be permitted to go through rush.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM

I think some schools have the clause about you must be enrolled for an undergraduate degree to go through recruitment. IMO if an NPC chapter colonizes at a school with that restriction, they need to deal with it and not try to get around the system.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

This has been discussed on GC that just because an NPC allows graduate students to join, there are school at which grad students don't have a chance of joining. Maybe the school realizes that that is the case and has that policy?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
This has been discussed on GC that just because an NPC allows graduate students to join, there are school at which grad students don't have a chance of joining. Maybe the school realizes that that is the case and has that policy?
There are also schools where girls who are over a size 6 don't have a chance of joining. The school can't prevent them from rushing.

If you're not in an NPC you should be permitted to rush - if they disallow certain groups from rushing that aren't disallowed by the sororities' national rules (i.e. men) the school could conceivably find itself in a nasty lawsuit.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDeltaGam View Post
One thing to keep in mind- just because a group CAN pledge a grad student doesn't mean they WILL. I hate to bring in the "southern" rush thing, but we know how it can be
Exactly. My alma mater is not in the south, but I cannot imagine the houses there pledging a grad student either. Just because an EO allows it, doesn't mean it will happen on a particular campus. And I'd venture a guess that it never happens on campuses with competitive rushes.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I was in a new national system in California and I still can't imagine a grad student being offered at bid at my school. I just don't think the undergrads would feel a grad student would fit in with the chapter, no matter how wonderful a person she is. She's already "been there, done that" in regards to college and might not find it very enjoyable to socialize with women (and men) years younger.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile some more info

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that the man from Greek life got in touch with me. He contacted all the HQs of all the NPC orgs on campus and learned that the vast majority of them do allow graduate students to join. So, if a grad student wanted to go through recruitment she could. I'm waiting to learn which sororites do and which ones do not allow grad students. I will put up another post when I find out.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that the man from Greek life got in touch with me. He contacted all the HQs of all the NPC orgs on campus and learned that the vast majority of them do allow graduate students to join. So, if a grad student wanted to go through recruitment she could. I'm waiting to learn which sororites do and which ones do not allow grad students. I will put up another post when I find out.

Thank goodness he did that! Very wise of him to have that info.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I will put up another post when I find out.

Please don't. You're just going to start drama. There does not need to be a list of which GLOs accept graduate students, and which do not. You're going to run into "Well, XYZ State U does, but XYZ at U of State has chapter bylaws against it and ABC does, but only in special circumstances...etc...". Get the information for yourself, and rush if you want to, but leave the posting of GLO policy to the GLO members on this board (if THEY even want to post it).
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Please don't. You're just going to start drama. There does not need to be a list of which GLOs accept graduate students, and which do not. You're going to run into "Well, XYZ State U does, but XYZ at U of State has chapter bylaws against it and ABC does, but only in special circumstances...etc...". Get the information for yourself, and rush if you want to, but leave the posting of GLO policy to the GLO members on this board (if THEY even want to post it).
She can certainly post a list, but it would probably be wise to add a qualifier which says something to the effect "While there is nothing against the national by-laws of graduate students participating in recruitment in the following list of GLO's, some individual chapters may not allow it. Further, some colleges and universities may prohibit all grad students from participating in recruitment."
Old 10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
She can certainly post a list, but it would probably be wise to add a qualifier which says something to the effect "While there is nothing against the national by-laws of graduate students participating in recruitment in the following list of GLO's, some individual chapters may not allow it. Further, some colleges and universities may prohibit all grad students from participating in recruitment."
Let me be clearer: I don't want my GLO on a list either way. Whether we allow Grad students or not does not need to be posted on GC. I personally know whether we do or do not allow Grad students to join, and if I wanted everyone else to know, I would post that info. Other GLO members here have openly posted things about Grad rush at their GLO, and that's fine, that's their business. It's not yours, scarleteriberry's, or anyone else's besides other members of my GLO's business to post whether we accept Grads or not. If 33 girl decides she wants to post the info, and other people quote her, I'm fine with that. But if someone from that GLO does not offer the info to begin with, I don't think it belongs on GC.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether some individual chapters "allow" it or not is their business- if it is in their public bylaws, fine, but it may be an internal policy. Or it may just be that that chapter doesn't want that particular grad student, which is their right to decide PRIVATELY.