GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,284
3 members and 2,281 guests
flamboyanttree, naraht, Xidelt

Old 06-14-2003, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Meliahna
Michigan State University Sororities

Is anyone on here from MSU??? I might be attending in the fall and would like some info on some of the sororities...Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I PMed you
Old 06-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a start: http://gogreek.msu.edu/pc.html

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you thank you for responding!

I have checked out MSU's greek info page and it answered a lot of questions. I was kinda curious how big each of the sororities was, and I haven't seen that so far.

I think most everything I need to know would be answered during rush week, but the more I find out about these groups the more I want to know!

I am thoroughly intruiged by like 6 organizations. LOL As if that weren't enough, there's another sorority that I would like to see re-opened.

So I was kinda hoping to get an 'insider's view' and maybe find out if there's some important fact I'm missing (specific major, common ethnicity, etc.).

LOL I think maybe I'm just too impatient to wait till fall.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
SDT has a fantastic chapter there...they've won a lot of our national awards. But...you're probably not going to get a lot of info on things like majors from most websites. My advice is to wait until fall...I know, it sucks, but you could have deferred recruitment like Emory! Good luck with everything! Oh, does anyone know how competitive MSU rush is?
Old 06-15-2003, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I go to MSU what do u want to know?
Old 06-15-2003, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for everyone who's responding!

Actually I was just kinda wondering how big each one was and how rush week works exactly. I don't want to join a sorority that's so big you don't get to know people, but at the same time, when a group gets that big it says something about the quality (? -searching for the right word here....) of the group. Also, I was just looking around for any base to start from. I've browsed chapter and national websites for a few, but I'd kinda like some opinions on who's nice, active, etc.

Right now I go to Northern Michigan University where there are 3 sororities. I've only met one person from each of them, but the way 2 of them conducted themselves was not anything I want to be associated with. The other sister I met was very classy, very nice, and the few others from her sorority that I met (but didn't talk to - can't say I know them) seemed just as great. So i guess I'm just looking for a little guidance on where to start from.

Thanks again,
Millie
Old 06-15-2003, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Meliahna -- be sure to check out the Rush forum here on GC, as it will help you out with tons of things you want to know.

As for information on specific sororities, I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but you'll be able to figure it out during rush. And I would recommend waiting until then to try and figure things out, too. There have been plenty rushees who have gone into rush thinking that there is only one sorority for them, and when that sorority cuts them, they drop out of rush. (Or they go into rush thinking one sorority is for them, but they realize they don't actually like that sorority when they meet the girls in it.) Rush is really the best way to figure out what each sorority is all about and which one's best for you.

(But I know that you're impatient . . . I felt the same way last summer before I rushed. )
Old 06-15-2003, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

rush at msu

Quote:
Originally posted by SDTSarah
SDT has a fantastic chapter there...they've won a lot of our national awards. But...you're probably not going to get a lot of info on things like majors from most websites. My advice is to wait until fall...I know, it sucks, but you could have deferred recruitment like Emory! Good luck with everything! Oh, does anyone know how competitive MSU rush is?
For anyone who was wondering, i pmed millie a lot of help however to answer SDTsarahs question, i do know its NOT AT ALL! as competitive as say, LSU or southern rush, however its not as laid back as soemthings ive heard here either. Id say if you follow some of the rush threads for northern big ten schools you would be fine. For ex, you would rarely see jeans and a dress is HIGHLY encouraged for pref.
Eventhough weve lost 3 sororities in the past three years, we still do have 13 very strong sororities. SDT with being the smallest, but obviously not having that affect the quality of their chapter (they have won a lot of awards!). You can look at all the houses at http://www.gogreek.msu.edu/pcchapters.html There are some chapter website links on there as well as listing various awards etc. It is a bit unfinished looking but i think thats cause they are revamping it over this summer. I do know that last year we had about 500-600 girls go through formal rush. As far as placement figures and stuff, im not really sure. sorry. Hope that helps. I just thought i would post since there are very very few people from msu here. Esp from sororities, the only person i can think of is Allie from SA (who posts frequently), however, they dont participate in panhel rush, but that is another amazing sorority that would not be listed on go greek....(at least i dont think it is, id have to check..)
Yeah and for any PMs at msu i would have to say, most of your questions will be answered once school starts again. We have info sessions where you can go and ask questions and get your rush application (dont forget that, its important! you can also download it on the website) squared away. Also once rush starts, your rho chi (rush counselor) can answer any questions you may have, they are really really awesome people! Since there is a lot of talk of recs on the rush forum, i would have to address that also. Recs are not a required thing like they are practically required at LSU, however, my personal advice is if you can get a rec, then get it and hand it in. Recs never hurt and sometimes do help with the houses that cut early (meaning there are a few houses that cut after phase a, time in and time out, if you had a rec then you would have more of a chance of not getting cut after phase a)
hope this helps. oh and would it make more sense to move this to rush forum? im not sure how thats done.....
Old 07-31-2003, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump...

Is anyone else going to Michigan State in the fall, and will be rushing! I would love to hear some rush stories! Our recruitment starts on September 14, and bid day is on the 22nd.
Good luck to PNM's!!!