GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 302,223
Threads: 114,280
Welcome to our newest member, rtytryytrytr

Old 11-01-2002, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Divine Nine

I just realized that Gamma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Phi Omega have been around a minute, I think longer than the Iota's. I just wanted to know if either organizations has ever been interested in joining the NPHC or NPC/ NIC. I mean on many campuses you have the "prestige" for lack of a better word. Do you think it would help your numbers or just your reputation in general. Excuse my ignorance but I really don't know to much about yall but I would love for someone to educate me!
Old 11-01-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Doubt It

Well, I know for sure that Gamma Sig will NEVER join the Panhellenic Council. Gamma Sig has had a "non-selectivity" policy for 50 years now. That means that we as an organization couldn't participate in Rush. That's the main reason. Also, Gamma Sig also allows its sisters to hold dual-memberships. That means that if we joined PHC, that means that those members would have to decide which sorority they want to be in.

As far as NPHC, those are for historically African-American organizations, and APO and GSS are neither.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 11-01-2002, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EmorySarah
Yup. Exactly. Our chapter of APO has many brothers who are also sisters in sororities. Just out of curiosity, which school do you go to, Gamma Girl? I'm at Emory. Yay! Atlanta people!
Old 11-01-2002, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi NewBee!

Nationally, since APO is a different "type" of Fraternity, I am pretty sure that we have never been interested in sitting on NPC/NIC/NPHC. We do belong to the Professional Fraternity Association, though. (Or something like that.) But that's nothing like the other councils, for example, we don't have formal recruitment with the other orgs.

APO has a national rule that chapters cannot belong to councils consisting of solely general fraternities or sororities. (Unless the school requires it.)

PEACE
Old 11-02-2002, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

APO and greek councils

The article in the APO "Standard Chapter Articles of Association" (which ruleswise sort of fall between the National By-laws and the chapter bylaws) is

"This Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega shall not seek nor accept Membership in any association consisting solely of social fraternities, except on approval of the National Board of Directors."

(Note, the National board has always interpreted this as being social fraternities and sororities since a large chunk of the NPC are women's fraternities according to its own bylaws)

Nationally we do belong the Professional Fraternity Association. Other organizations in this group include Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Delta Omicron , Phi Mu Alpha and others. Check out www.profraternity.edu and http://www.profraternity.org/members.asp however this has had *ZERO* affect onthe local chapters as far as I can tell (90%+ of the undergraduates don't even know we belong to it)

Most of the time when Alpha Phi Omega is on a council it falls into one of two categories.
1) A "service council": (probably at a non-HBCU) APO, GSS, Circle-K, Habitat, Big Bro/Big Sis, Alt Spring Break and similar organizations.
2) A "other organizations council": (probablyat an HBCU) APO, GSS, TBS,KKY, Groove Phi Grove, Swing Phi Swing, Alpha Nu Omega F & S and similar organizations.

Randolph Finder
Old 11-02-2002, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Re: APO and greek councils

Quote:
Originally posted by naraht
The article in the APO "Standard Chapter Articles of Association" (which ruleswise sort of fall between the National By-laws and the chapter bylaws) is

"This Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega shall not seek nor accept Membership in any association consisting solely of social fraternities, except on approval of the National Board of Directors."

(Note, the National board has always interpreted this as being social fraternities and sororities since a large chunk of the NPC are women's fraternities according to its own bylaws)

Nationally we do belong the Professional Fraternity Association. Other organizations in this group include Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Delta Omicron , Phi Mu Alpha and others. Check out www.profraternity.edu and http://www.profraternity.org/members.asp however this has had *ZERO* affect onthe local chapters as far as I can tell (90%+ of the undergraduates don't even know we belong to it)

Most of the time when Alpha Phi Omega is on a council it falls into one of two categories.
1) A "service council": (probably at a non-HBCU) APO, GSS, Circle-K, Habitat, Big Bro/Big Sis, Alt Spring Break and similar organizations.
2) A "other organizations council": (probablyat an HBCU) APO, GSS, TBS,KKY, Groove Phi Grove, Swing Phi Swing, Alpha Nu Omega F & S and similar organizations.

Randolph Finder
wow I had no idea.
You learn something every day. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
ATL is the Bomb

EmorySarah,

I attend Georgia State. I have a GSS sister who is at Emory right now for grad school.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 11-02-2002, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: APO and greek councils

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk

wow I had no idea.
You learn something every day. Thanks.
No problem. I'm considered a fairly "APO-geekish" brother.

Randy
Old 11-03-2002, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

THANKS, YOU DO LEARN SOMETHING EVERYDAY. I DIDNT REALIZE THAT APO AND GSS WERE NON-SELECTIVE SINCE INCEPTION. I JUST WISHED MORE PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT THE WORK YOU GUYS DO!
Old 11-08-2002, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't think that Alpha Phi Omega needs to become a member of any greek council because we can stand alone and continue to survive as we have in the past.
I really don't think that belonging to any greek council would boost our membership because at my school APO gets "hated" on constantly because we produce larger lines then any other Fraternity or Sorority on our yard, because the people see what we are about and see that we enjoy what we are doing.
Our chapter is a Family and we work like a well oiled machine and people see that and truly feel a since belonging. Some people are intimidated by the fact that we do work but then they recognize the fun aspects as well.
I mean at my school "APO" is accepted among the greeks and they understand that we have respect for them and show them nothing but love and besides the majority of our chapter belongs to other Sororities and Fraternities.
You will always have the naysayer that say we want to be greek but hey let them talk because the simple fact is until you know us don't judge us.

Well that's the end of my speech.

Your in L, F, & S

ATTLB
Old 11-10-2002, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

humm that would pose a problem for GSS... because we were founded on the princple that we would not join any pan hell
it has worked for us for 50 years and counting....
plus i dont know how the co-ed thing would work being in any pan hell plus i know i want to pledge a NPHC sorority....
It wont happen for GSS goes against why we were founded