GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,070
0 members and 2,070 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hotboxing lol.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Sorry you aren't reading between my lines....I don't think she's really "sitting on a bid." I think she told them she couldn't accept right now but wants to in the fall and they said "Sure! Come thru fall recruitment and we'll have a spot for you." Which is all well and good except that 1/4 of the chapter won't be there any more and the rest probably aren't going to remember or care. I think she's in for a rude awakening. But that's just my 2 cents worth....
Isn't that bid promising? And shouldn't it be right out?

OP, if that's what happened, don't count on them having a bid for you. If you go through formal recruitment, keep your options open.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably not. It depends on what they really said versus what she heard. The way Titchou said it could easily be accurate - sure, give it a shot in the fall, why not? And what she heard was - sure, we'll hold a space for you next fall, why not? The former is probable, the latter is unlikely.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi guys,
When I talked to the recruitment chair, she said that I could pledge in the fall, but accept my bid in the spring. So I signed a paper accepting my bid, but that I would later be pledging. She told me that I would be pledged along with another girl who did the same thing at the end of the spring semester so as not to lose us, but after bid night I haven't heard a word from them. I know I'll be able to afford the sorority, it's just that my mom didn't want me to join because my grades aren't too great.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Since this is not in any NPC recruitment rules, I would be surprised if this works out the way you say. I doubt the FSU PH Office would bless this.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM

I'm not sure why there's confusion about this, she'll be considered a hold over pledge. I've heard of those and seen CPC Recruitment rules and chapter bylaws acknowledge them.

From what I've seen, in rules but never experienced first hand, is that she'll count towards this year's quota.

NoleGirl - I would suggest reaching out the recruitment chair to ask that she introduce you to the other holdover pledge. Ideally the chapter should keep in touch with you during this semester and summer but due to busy schedules "out of sight out of mind" tends to occur. Please don't take is personally but do reach out as much as your comfortable to make sure you don't fall through the cracks.

It'd be fantastic if you, the other holdover and a handful of actives could routinely get together for "normal" socializing and activities. Like studying, lunch, coffee, etc. You won't be able to go to 100% of chapter activities but it's reasonable for them to ask you to a few.

Good Luck and make sure to make your grades the priority!

eta: This isn't that much different than a pledge really than a girl who "doesn't make grades" for initiation and has to pledge again the following semester.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 02-26-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

This is entirely different, SoCalGirl. She is not on their roll, is not required to attend meetings and is not paying dues. Holdover pledges do all of that....and more.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I spoke to the spring recruitement chair and she said that I will be pledging in april and will technically be a part of the fall pc
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, what a way to circumvent at the very least the spirit of the rules....
Old 02-27-2014, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This situation seems dicey at best.

babynolegirl, make your grades. Because, without discussing MS, I will say that grades do matter and if your grades are that poor, you may NOT end up in any new member class at all. During the new member period, it is not difficult to terminate an uninitiated member (compared with terminating an initiated member). You know what you need to do - good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
This is entirely different, SoCalGirl. She is not on their roll, is not required to attend meetings and is not paying dues. Holdover pledges do all of that....and more.
What she outlined is pretty much exactly what I described in my first post. NPC isn't wild about it but it IS permissible unless the school puts the kibosh on it. I don't understand why a chapter at a school like FSU with so much Greek interest is doing it, but I guess ours is not to question why.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynolegirl View Post
I spoke to the spring recruitement chair and she said that I will be pledging in april and will technically be a part of the fall pc
Good!

It's very weird to me, but if they're holding your new member ceremony, and telling you that you are in the fall new member class, it sounds like it's working out for you and for them.