GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,414
0 members and 2,414 guests
No Members online

Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
Would like your opinion.

Hey all,

Long time no see! Just wanted to get your thoughts on something. I am looking to expand my ASA volunteer experience by potentially becoming an advisor. The nearest chapters to me are 3-5 hours away. I've considered advising for other GLO's that are more local to me as I've seen where instances where non-ASA's are advising chapters (with the exception of ritual advisor). I realize I would have to ask whatever GLO(s) I'm interested in or are available, but just wanted your thoughts.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Crashing into the Alpha Sig forum...I don't know if this would work or not, but I just got back from my KD convention where I met 2 ladies who are advisors for chapters that are several hundred miles away from their location. These collegiate chapters are in locations where there are few local alumnae (more rural areas with few job opportunities, so most graduates move away after graduation), and these advisors are also in places where there is no collegiate chapter for them to advise. They use various modes to communicate, like Skype during meetings, e-mail and phone calls. The advisors try to make 1 trip per year (or more) to the chapter, and then of course rely on other advisors to attend other activities that come up through out the year.

I don't know if this is allowable with ASA, but maybe an option to check into with your director of advisory boards or equivalent position within Alpha Sigma Alpha. Un-crashing.... (maybe its not so much of a crash because my sister is an Alpha Sig?)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Are you talking about a main advisor position, or part of a coaching team?

Is it going to be a chapter you've gotten to know members of in the past - through convention, etc - or will you have a chance to meet the members at some point?

If you're not an alum of the chapter with that built-in connection, constant long-distance advising can be really, really hard. As plugged in as we all are nowadays, especially collegians, there is still nothing that beats human contact.

Also, schools may require a faculty advisor as the main advisor - regardless of whether the person is a member or even Greek at all.

I honestly think you would have a better experience advising a chapter of another group that is closer to you.

Tangent: this just points out why we need to start really and truly re-involving alumnae. I'm sure there are ASA alums closer to those chapters than you are.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
I'm not referring to a district or national position. I'm considering like an actual advisor position. I have no chapter specifically in mind; just something in my district. But the human contact thing was why I was possibly considering other organizations.

ETA: Doesn't have to be a chapter advisor; just an advisor.

Last edited by HeavenslilAngel; 07-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 PM

That's what I was talking about.

It all depends, too, on how much you want to be involved. In other words, is being say, ritual advisor for a chapter across the miles going to fulfill you enough? Part of impetus behind the creation of the different advisor positions was so that there could be positions for someone who had the time/inclination to be highly involved (chapter advisor) and those who couldn't do that (ritual advisor, for example). When you have someone who wants to give a lot and they're in a position where that doesn't really happen, it can make them really frustrated.

This applies everywhere of course...not just ASA
Old 07-09-2011, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I would want to be like standards, recruitment or membership advisor (or something related if a different organization). Something where I would gain a lot of experience and be involved in a lot.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

So I've spoke to my DF and VPRT and they said:

"You are not able to hold any other volunteer position for ASA within the district, regardless of the position (i.e. chapter advisor via membership advisor).

If the opportunity arises to volunteer for another national organization, you still would be able to maintain your position for ASA."

So if I want to gain advisor experience in addition to my current position, I have to contact a different organization. I may poll the alumni involvement forum to see the opportunities available.