GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,808
3 members and 1,805 guests
Cookiez17, zjhnpetrovo7362

Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What is this "initiation" that everyone is talking about?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
What is this "initiation" that everyone is talking about?
It's when you light a candle and read out of a duo-tang folder. Oh. Wait. I've said too much. I'm telling secrets from the ritual of the honor society to which I belong.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I feel a tad bit guilty because I so enjoy reading the information on this thread, but do not feel comfortable sharing information. Am I the only one who feels this way?
I completely understand, NutBrnHair. That's why I put that disclaimer in the first post. I figure whomever feels they can share will do so but no one should feel uncomfortable!

Believe me, I didn't post anything a random person standing in front of a DZ house wouldn't be able to tell ya
Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I feel a tad bit guilty because I so enjoy reading the information on this thread, but do not feel comfortable sharing information. Am I the only one who feels this way?
I feel exactly the same way.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I'm thinking I've heard more than once that the no-makeup rule is to keep makeup from getting onto the robes, which would then have to be cleaned and pressed every time instead of once or twice a year. That would make more sense.

Now I'm creeped out. The ad at the top of the page is www.shopwhitedress.com. How do they know????????????????????
I don't see how make up could make any worse of a mess to be cleaned than all that blood from the ritual sacrifices.

That's not just us, right?

OMG -I've said too much, haven't I?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I don't see how make up could make any worse of a mess to be cleaned than all that blood from the ritual sacrifices.

That's not just us, right?

OMG -I've said too much, haven't I?
ssssshhhhh!!! thats supposed to be a secret!! bad kappa!!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I completely understand, NutBrnHair. That's why I put that disclaimer in the first post. I figure whomever feels they can share will do so but no one should feel uncomfortable!

Believe me, I didn't post anything a random person standing in front of a DZ house wouldn't be able to tell ya
Likewise (with the obvious substitution of AEPhi).

<tangent>
Several years ago, AEPhi colonized at Brandeis University, and I was invited to the colonization (I wasn't able to make it, unfortunately). Brandeis does not recognize greek life, so we were specifically instructed NOT to wear white, but instead to wear normal street clothes and bring a white outfit to change into. We were also asked to bring, but not wear, our badges.

The chapter was never chartered, but there are chapters of SDT and DPhiE, as well as ZBT and a couple of other fraternities.
</tangent>
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities

I notice no comments about Fraternities on this thread...

I presume that Suit and Tie would be most standard?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
I feel the exact same way. Maybe that's why we can't share: we'd all find out we've been wearing the same thing.

We do not have the no makeup requirement, for which I am grateful, because I am a mascara addict.
My mother made me promise that, if I ever got remarried (!), that I'd get my eyelashes dyed!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Sometimes, chapters add their own nuances, I think. For example, my initiating chapter also told the girls to wear no make-up and do very little to their hair, but upon reading the new Alpha Experience materials, I found out that initiates can wear make-up and do their hair!......Running off to look at the Alpha Experience again.
That is probably the biggest Initiation myth we have. Makeup is fine.. the idea is for women to look their best on a special day Heels are not a requirement so that was clearly a chapter nuance. Maybe they had issues with women trying to get by with flip flops so they made it "heels".

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Wow, I am amazed that so many other sororities (and apparently a chapter of my own) are not allowed to wear makeup. Never occured to me that it wouldn't be allowed. Hell, I'd prefer if more members DID wear it...because that means they took some time to look nice before Initiation instead of rolling out of bed hungover...

Participants (initiates plus those with a part in the ceremony) are to wear pure all white dress and shoes, and the only jewelry that is permitted is pearl jewelry plus engagement/wedding rings if applicable. All others have the option of a top and skirt, and other minimal, simple jewelry. Specific color of underwear isn't mentioned, but it is not supposed to be showing, so I guess it is implied that it should match your skin. Hose are not required, though we do allow nude hose. Almost no one wears them and I can't recall a time where I saw someone in my chapter wear white hose. We don't police nail color.
White hose were bigger in the 90s, I think. I'm not even sure they still sell them!

Quote:
No need to feel guilty. If you're not supposed to discuss it, then don't. This is not secret information for some of us.

As my sisters above noted.. white dress (below the knee), with shoulders covered and white shoes. Jewelry is not worn but makeup can be.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I know what you mean; I'd love to see how other chapters do their initiations. Actually, I'd REALLY love to attend the initiation they do at Convention every other year. Since it's the National Council that does it, you KNOW it's done perfectly. I'm curious to see how it differs from how our chapter did it. ("uh oh, I can't find the sacred turtle shell" "okay, we can just use a seashell instead. No one will know the difference.")
Having seen an initiation at our convention, honestly? It was just a lot more people standing around watching it. Then again, I think ours is pretty idiot proof. From what I gather on here, other groups' are more complicated. Ours is quite straightforward (except for the part where we fire up the Phoenix's butt) and I like it that way.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Subbing in my sorority, ditto. We've even asked passers-by to help us take pictures outside of our house before initiation.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel I can say what we wore since the Phi Mu Alpha guys got to see us moving about the music building (no houses for sororities in upper state SC). Some of them were apparently there just to see this. As in, they were waiting in the hallways.

Anyways... All white. Dress, slacks, skirts, bathing suit coverup dress things. No specification on formality, but we took it to be an event to look nice for as a class. No make-up. No nail polish. No jewelry other than the MIT pin. Pure white shoes, white socks, or no shoes at all (your choice). Most of us went for no shoes. They collected the shoes we walked over in and any jewelry (including simple studs) before we were allowed to begin. We were warned by random sisters the week prior to our ceremony as to what to wear.

When I explained to my mom that I was looking for a white skirt, she asked why. Apparently she got to wear a mix of the sorority colors for her AOII initiation... all those years ago.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Having seen an initiation at our convention, honestly? It was just a lot more people standing around watching it. Then again, I think ours is pretty idiot proof. From what I gather on here, other groups' are more complicated. Ours is quite straightforward (except for the part where we fire up the Phoenix's butt) and I like it that way.
At our Convention, a nearby chapter does it. And it may be for real if they have someone to initiate or it may be a mock ceremony. Frankly, to get up early to go is not on my radar screen.....I can go to one every semester here if I want...and at least I know the people.....
Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I notice no comments about Fraternities on this thread...
Well, there was a comment from a fraternity member.