GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,351
0 members and 2,351 guests
No Members online

Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

wow.......**blank stare**
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Unregistered-

Since the original hotlink is no longer working:

Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Since the original hotlink is no longer working:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae involvement is a great part of my life and I would highly recommend it. And except for the snottypants comments above I think you will find several national GLO's who would love to have you. Every one has a website and I'm sure a way for you to ask questions about the process.

As far as what you do or do not know, I think it's completely unrealistic to expect her to know all the lingo, especially when the lingo changes over time and varies by campus and part of the country.

An "active" is a collegiate member who is actively participating in the college chapter. She is in college and in good standing with the chapter (grades, financial, etc.). This is as opposed to an alumna who is a member of the organization but not an active member of the college chapter. This is the group into which you would initiate. My sorority initiates alumnae into a special chapter, so you are not affiliated directly with a college chapter. But I think this varies widely by sorority.

Best of luck to you. Disregard the snarkyness. Unfortunately the reputation of sorority girls being mean and bitchy comes from real people and is just dumped on the rest of us.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Alumnae involvement is a great part of my life and I would highly recommend it. And except for the snottypants comments above I think you will find several national GLO's who would love to have you. Every one has a website and I'm sure a way for you to ask questions about the process.

As far as what you do or do not know, I think it's completely unrealistic to expect her to know all the lingo, especially when the lingo changes over time and varies by campus and part of the country.

An "active" is a collegiate member who is actively participating in the college chapter. She is in college and in good standing with the chapter (grades, financial, etc.). This is as opposed to an alumna who is a member of the organization but not an active member of the college chapter. This is the group into which you would initiate. My sorority initiates alumnae into a special chapter, so you are not affiliated directly with a college chapter. But I think this varies widely by sorority.

Best of luck to you. Disregard the snarkyness. Unfortunately the reputation of sorority girls being mean and bitchy comes from real people and is just dumped on the rest of us.
You realize the OP is from 2008, right? I doubt she's still hanging around.

ETA: The OP was also given good advice in another thread she started, so there's a reason for the responses in this one. Don't be so quick to call people bitches when you don't know what's going on.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 08-19-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Do you plan to sponsor the OP for alumna initiation into your sorority?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Correction: In (insert council) sororities, an "active" is a collegiate member....

Just wanted to point out that things are different among different councils and can even vary between different orgs. We shouldn't assume that the poster is only interested in sororities within a certain council. In the NPHC for example, an active member is a financial member, can be undergrad or alumnae.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 08-19-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Correction: In (insert council) sororities, an "active" is a collegiate member....

Just wanted to point out that things are different among different councils and can even vary between different orgs. We shouldn't assume that the poster is only interested in sororities within a certain council. In the NPHC for example, an active member is a financial member, can be undergrad or alumnae.
That is 100 percent true. I know in my fraternity the terms active for undergrads is discouraged. This is because we expect all brothers, undergraduate or alumni to be active in the fraternity.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
My organization also does not use "actives." You're either a collegian or an alumna.
Same here.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto for us -- you're a collegiate brother or an alumnus brother.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

We use the term undergraduate, but collegian would make more sense considering you can be an undergraduate member as a graduate student.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
We use the term undergraduate, but collegian would make more sense considering you can be an undergraduate member as a graduate student.
For us it's not about being a grad student. When you graduate from undergrad, you are expected to transfer to a grad/alumnae chapter.