GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,409
5 members and 2,404 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, LaneSig

Old 06-16-2006, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Spinoff: New Members Holding Positions

I was discussed in another thread in Risk Management & Hazing about how anti-hazing laws have gone so far to prevent any sort of distinction between new mebers/pledges/associates/whatever you or your organization calls them, that some organizations allow new members to attend meetings and hold positions. This seems a little bit odd to me. How could a person who just got invited to be in the organization a couple of weeks ago possibly know enough about it and how it runs to be a good leader. In my sorority, according to our bylaws, you have to wait a semester after you are initiated before you can vote or hold a position (unless there are extenuating circumstances) so that you get a chance to see how we work. Has anyone heard of new members holding positions? Has that happened in your org? How did it work out?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-16-2006, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

In ADPi, our new members may hold certain offices and attend our meetings. We have structured our new member program and sorority so that new members are not exposed to ritual before they are ready. We don't see our new members as having to pay their society dues. They proved themselves at recruitment that they were one of us, and as they go through new member education, they have the same privileges as any other sister, except for the ritual aspect. That will come later.

It definitely works. There are plenty of good leaders out there, and going through initiation doesn't make you an expert on sorority goings-on, nor does a full year on the other side guarantee that you understand all the policies. We've had some new members who have made excellent and conscientious officers. Sure, others haven't worked out, but the same can be said for members who have been in the chapter for quite a longer time! It just depends on the character of the individual and her leadership potential.

Hope this helps to explain! I know every sorority does everything differently. I certainly wouldn't criticize a sorority that does not give new members leadership positions; I hope this thread won't grow critical of those that do (like mine.)

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's another question. Let's say one of your new members does hold a position. For whatever reason, she de-pledges before initiation. What happens then?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Just as any officer who steps down or cancels her membership, we fill the position with another member. It really does work! I'm sure you've had officers who were initiated members who could not fulfill her duties for one reason or another, or who cancelled her membership. That's the great thing about opening the candidate pool up for these offices to the new members-- it increases the opportunity to fill the positions with qualified leaders.

Another benefit of new members holding office-- it makes the new member class feel included in the sorority goings-on and when they feel a part of the process, they want to make a difference and pitch in. It also helps us identify future chapter leaders. By holding other offices, we are able to see how they might hold up as a VP or President later on.

Last edited by adpiucf; 06-16-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I was initiated on a Thursday, and took office as Parliamentarian and VP of Alumnae and Heritage on that following Saturday. It was sort of a special situation, though.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

It's also nice to have a new member officer who has no preconcieved notions of how past officers of the position have done things. A blank slate encourages new ideas and allows the member to take on the office as their own instead of running it like the last guy/gal did.

I wouldn't encourage a new member to president, but some things can easily be taken care of by anyone in the org and it doesn't take a knowledge of ritual to be able to do it. Philanthropy is philanthropy, intramurals is intramurals and fundraising is fundraising. You don't need to know anything about the ritual in order to run these sort of positions.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:50 PM

In Tri Sigma, you must be initiated to take a position in the chapter. The president must have previously served on Officer Board. We've had newer initiates in positions, and it has worked out pretty well.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-16-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

EC positions

Not sure if it has changed but at SAE one needed to be a full active Brother to hold a house position.
Jon
Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
In AXiD you must be an Initiated member to hold an office. New members are not allowed to hold any positions. Newly Initiated member can hold office. My chapter has had newly initiated member hold Exec. and non exec offices. It has worked out and it hasn't. It just depends on the girls and if they are really good leaders or not. Sometimes one might think that some one is good but it turns out that they are not.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

In DZ you have to be initiated to hold the office of President, but a new member can fill in other position. We actually had a new member become our VP of Membership this past election (she was also initiated two weeks later), and she's been doing an excellent job.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
In SDT, you must be an initated sister before holding postions.

Daisy, you know the story of my pledge sister and myself. We were intiated in May, that Sept, we held 5 out of 8 E-board postions, and tons of g-board postions. I'd say for the two of us it worked out pretty well, because we were fresh blood, smart enough to listen to theo lder sisters and take advice, but with enough new ideas and thoughts that we wound up holding President and VP the year after. After that...well that's a idfferent story.

The reason why we were allowed to do this is because we had a very small chapter, and a lot of hte sisters that were active were trying ot geto ut of school and taking on large course loads. Normally, we woudlnt' let this happen and discouraged new sisters from taking on more then 1 e-board postion at a time.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-16-2006, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

In Alpha Gam, you have to be initiated to hold office but it works pretty well for us.
To be President, you have to have been a Chapter Council officer before and normally be a member of the Junior class (school wise). To be Property Coordinator, you have to have lived on the hall at some point. I'm almost positive you have to have gone through Recruitment on the members' side to be VP Recruitment.

Normally we have Initiation early in November and elections mid-November.

Unfortunately there's always the chance of losing an officer or two at the beginning of January or the next Fall.

Over the years, I've seen newly initated members do a terrific job and somtimes the "older" members not, lol. But it evens out.

Last edited by AGDLynn; 06-16-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
This may have changed since I was in college.

But in Alpha Phi Omega, though newly initiated brothers could hold staff positions, if a brother with seniority ran for one vs. a neophyte, the senior brother would automatically get it.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

In my sorority, you have to be an initiated member to hold a position. If I remember correctly, members have to have been an active sister for at least a semester in order to run for cabinet positions.

PSimissU
Old 06-20-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

There is no way a pledge should have a robed position.