GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,554
2 members and 1,552 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-26-2001, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bigdu
the use of the word "frat" is on my campus disrepectful and derogatory. u didn't join a frat, you joined a fraterinty
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2001, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to legacypbs Send a message via Yahoo to legacypbs
Arrow

It's funny we are all brothers, brothers in Greekdom but we differ. One thing that is appearant on GC is that NPHC greeks & IFC greeks differ a whole lot. We use the word frat quite often. But like stated early I think IFC greeks avoid being stereotyped by the typical "frat" movie, something I don't think NPHC greeks ever would face. In any formal manners we consider the use of the word frat improper. But in social & casual instances it is just fine. I love my frat but I am a member of to Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. I actually had this discussion with my drill sgt at basic training, he being a member of Lambda Chi Alpha. Keep up the good discussions like this so GC helps us all.

GOMAB

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

At my house the brothers are cool with calling it a "frat," and we don't mind when or sorority friends call it one either. We only care when people use it to prove a stereotype or to sound derogitory. When out of the house, or taking to people, I always use "fraternity," because when I pledged we were given the line...

Would you call your father "fat," your mother a "moth," and your country a "c**t?" NO, so don't call your fraternity a "frat."
Old 06-27-2001, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Alrighty,

You guys would really say something like that to people on campus. Anyone using the term frat shouldn't be chastised. I called fraternities frats before I joined. But you know what, no disrespect to anyone here, but I think there are more things to be concerned with than if someone refers to your house as a fraternity or frat. It's a label, both are understood the same way and honestly it varies what school you're at to say it's a derogatory term. In conclusion, I'm part of a frat, I drink from kegs, I party on the weekends, and have sex with chicks.

- RUgreek

P.S. If you were shocked and didn't laugh at my last statement, then you are beyond help. Later!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

This is so silly, I used the word Frat cause it takes less typing to get my point across. Im freakin lazy so shoot me. I didnt call any ones else Fraternity a frat, so shut up about it, its not a big deal!!!!! I dont get mad at people for calling me a frat guy cause I am.Yall are all to worried about what people think of you and whats politically correct in the greek community...
Yall all need to stop typing and get up from your computers, pull whatevers in your rectum out, go to your local bar, order your favorite drink and relax and have a good time. Blaise...........my 35 cents PS. Sh80, Thanks for bringing up a dead topic.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp:
Frat Boys, Fraternity Men! Frat is a term normally used by GDI to talke about Greek Orgs, The TKE Fraternity is the only one that I know of that call their Brothers Fraters! I May be wrong! Frat is a derogitory Term To mean US! FRAT RATS! SORO SLUTS!BS we do more on a campus tha anyone else!

There's nothing wrong with the use of the word "frater." It is the Latin word translating literally as "brother" and is pronounced the way GmuTeke described it (i.e. frAHter)

Old 06-28-2001, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to legacypbs Send a message via Yahoo to legacypbs
Quote:
Originally posted by SSS1365:
There's nothing wrong with the use of the word "frater." It is the Latin word translating literally as "brother" and is pronounced the way GmuTeke described it (i.e. frAHter)

Phi Beta Sigma uses the term frater also. I've noticed it's usually used by old heads or in formal statements.

------------------
Occasio Gee
aka "The Prodigy"
Spr 98 #3 Vicious OI chapt
http://www.crosswinds.net/~viciousoi
Old 06-28-2001, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You may correct me if I am wrong, but Frater is used by some Fraternitys, TKE for one to designate tham as Brothers of their Fraterniy. A Frater is a member of a Fraternity, not a Frat! Rat? It is still if you used in a derogatory way, Yow, he is in a Frat! That is with a snear at the end!!! I respect My Fraternity and we do not use it, we use Brothers or Associate Members!

Not to be a hard butt as mine is rally ( Southern) rather soft as opposed to some who keep Arnold bodies which will one day sink like the Titanic right into their Jockey Shorts!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-28-2001, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Tom, everytime I read one of your posts I just have this vision of you typing at some comp. and drinking Mad Dog 20/20 and laughing your ass off.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:03 PM
Wine&Blue

Isn't frater latin for brother? I think it's pronounced frah-TAIR. I don't think that's derogatory at all. However, when I hear someone say "frat" I just think it sounds uninformed. It's interesting that this is unique to male organizations. I've never heard a sorority called a "sor". Boy that would be derogatory!!!

[This message has been edited by Wine&Blue (edited June 28, 2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wine&Blue:
Isn't frater latin for brother? I think it's pronounced frah-TAIR.
[This message has been edited by Wine&Blue (edited June 28, 2001).]

Yes, Wine and Blue, you're right - I take Latin, and "frater" means brother and is pronounced as you said - with the stress on the LAST syllable.

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited June 28, 2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Wine&Blue

I took Latin in high school. Good to see I remember SOMETHING from those days.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
I took Latin in high school. Good to see I remember SOMETHING from those days.
That's awesome! Call me crazy, , but I actually love the language!!
Old 06-28-2001, 10:52 PM
Wine&Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie:
That's awesome! Call me crazy, , but I actually love the language!!
OK Crazy! Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
Old 06-28-2001, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OK Crazy! Sorry, I just couldn't resist!
Hahahaaa. See, I don't know why - but I'm super good in the language. My friends all hate it, but I've just "clicked" with the language! Ok, I'm prepared now to hear lots of snickering, lol.