GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 965
2 members and 963 guests
naraht, Titchou

Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

You know how in teen movies like Mean Girls or 10 Things I Hate About You, there are these rigid, defined cliques where everyone is a stereotype, and there aren't any "normal people" cliques? Of course there are cliques in real high school, but they're not these rigid defined stereotypes where each group socializes exclusively with members of their group. In reality, kids at every level of the social ladder have diverse interests.

Fictional portrayals of Greeks love to have very exact stereotypes of sororities that are unchanging. For example, rich girls, athletic, nerdy, party girls, etc.

In reality, almost every chapter of every NPC will have: some girls who come from money and some who are the first to go to college; some girls who played field hockey, basketball, cheered, danced and some who are terribly uncoordinated; some girls who study more than others, but the chapter overall will most likely have a higher GPA than the average female student at the campus; some girls go out nearly every night, some go out just a couple times each month; some girls who like to shop and some girls who like to be outside. Sororities offer so many different things, and chapters seek a variety of women so they can excel in all areas.

You won't find a chapter where every single member is hideously ugly and socially awkward, spends all of their time studying, and never socializes. And even if you did, I seriously doubt they could dupe any PNMs into thinking they were anything else. Recruitment is about putting your best self forward, emphasis on the words "best" and "self".

How to find the best chapter for you? Think about what you want in a chapter and think about what you want in friends. Think about what questions you could ask and conversation topics you could bring up to figure that out. Know that within every chapter there will be some people you do and don't click with, and remember that your opinion can change based on who you meet each round. The members know all of their sisters; you only know the member with whom you are speaking, so it's fair to say they know better than you where you will fit.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-12-2010, 06:35 PM

Hmmm.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooh La La View Post
My first time on the other side of recruitment will be next year. How I pray that people like this are far and few between.
"Sooooo, what was your high school mascot?"
"The REBELS!!! And I loved cheering for them!!"
"mmmmkay. Here, have some punch and cookies..and you look like you need to take a load off your feet... have a seat over here with Jugdish and Sirajul."
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My high school mascot was also the Rebels**, and I am praying, praying, praying that this is a different school.

I also have always known not to be in-your-face with that term. It was controversial when I was in school 20 years ago and remains such, for good reason.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

i understand that every chapter has different types of women. thats why i want to go greek! it would be sooo boring to be in a house full of women exactly like me. variety is the spice of life, right?
again, im just worried i wont be able to tell who i click with. i read the recruitment stories and keep seeing girls over and over who dont like a house because of one sister they had an awkward convo with, or fall in love with a house because of one sister they had an amazing convo with. what if i have an awkward convo at the house that is perfect for me, and end up cutting them (yes they could cut me too, people get cut yada yada yada...bear with me for the sake of the example!) or have an amazing convo with a woman at a house thats completely wrong for me and end up choosing the wrong place? yes i could rush again but i know that would look bad, even if its technically allowed. i want to find my home, but im worried it wont be the right one.

please stop giving me crap over this. i looked all over the forum and never found anything that talks about htis exact question so im asking for help. i didnt know that was so bad..........
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

you will be able to tell. have you ever met a person and within a few minutes you felt as if you had known them all your life? you had so much in common with them and the conversation flowed so effortlessly? or you learn about the sorority's philanthropy and immediately your mind begins to whirl 90 to nothing with ideas for fundraisers. you feel comfortable and at home and you can be yourself. these are all things that could happen to let you know that you might have found your home. some girls will know where they belong after the first set of parties, while other girls will spend several hours fretting over which order to place their preferences on the last day.

just know that you will not be friends with everyone in the house, just as you will not be friends with everyone on your dorm floor. you will find your niche within the chapter but it will take time.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-12-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta, that was beautifully put. Gave me goosebumps remembering when I first felt that "click" with KD

OP, I'll give you the same advice for both your college search and your (eventual) sorority search. During your college search you will undoubtedly visit a variety of campuses. Some of them you will like, some of them you won't. But in choosing the "right" college for you, the true test is finding the one that, even though you're not a student yet, feels like home. It should be the college you can see yourself spending the next 4+ years of your life, where you'll meet your best friends and (possibly) your soulmate. When you walk around the campus, you should be able to see yourself eating, sleeping and learning there...in short, you can see it becoming your home.

The same is true for finding the sorority you will fit into. True, you only get to talk to a limited number of women during recruitment. However, as you go through the recruitment process, look around at each of the houses and try to imagine yourself living with those girls, studying with them, crying and laughing with them. It's quite possible the place you feel most at home will be the house full of girls with perfect hair and skin, who look like they've just stepped out of a magazine. Then again it's also possible you'll end up with a house you never dreamed you'd call home until you felt that "click" FSUZeta so beautifully described. But whether you end up in the chapter full of perfectly manicured women or goofy intellectuals (not "nerds" ) or even somewhere in-between, you need to think about finding a place where you can feel comfortable relaxing in your sweatpants after all the glitz and glitter of recruitment is over. Just relax, be yourself and keep an open mind. Good luck!

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCheerBabii View Post
i understand that every chapter has different types of women. thats why i want to go greek! it would be sooo boring to be in a house full of women exactly like me. variety is the spice of life, right?
again, im just worried i wont be able to tell who i click with. i read the recruitment stories and keep seeing girls over and over who dont like a house because of one sister they had an awkward convo with, or fall in love with a house because of one sister they had an amazing convo with. what if i have an awkward convo at the house that is perfect for me, and end up cutting them (yes they could cut me too, people get cut yada yada yada...bear with me for the sake of the example!) or have an amazing convo with a woman at a house thats completely wrong for me and end up choosing the wrong place? yes i could rush again but i know that would look bad, even if its technically allowed. i want to find my home, but im worried it wont be the right one.

please stop giving me crap over this. i looked all over the forum and never found anything that talks about htis exact question so im asking for help. i didnt know that was so bad..........
What exact question? You want us to tell you where you should end up? You've gotten great advice from FSUZeta and xomanadaxo above. We don't know you, don't know what school you're going to, and don't know the sororities there. So, stop worrying about the "what ifs". You don't even know where you're going to school yet. Get into college, figure out the vibe there and what each group has to offer, and if you have any other questions AFTER that, come back. But otherwise, you're just using up bandwidth with nonsense and vague questions that we honestly can't help you with much more than other posters already have.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Even if the people of GC believed in the tier system, you have to remember one thing. People could list the sororities top to bottom at College A, and it would be true this year. Then they could list the sororities top to bottom at College B, and that would be true for this year. etc, etc.

The bottom line is, you never really know which sorority is going to be most respected from year to year, and at which school. So, the whole hypothosis of this thread is doomed from the beginning - which is why so many people are having fun at your expense.

When you register for recruitment, you and the sororities will get the opportunity to both decide which would be the right home for you.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Why did I go through all 6 pages of that?